• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Instument Panel L.E.D Lighting

CurryRA

Well, figured I'd share what I spent one of my days off doing while tinkering around on my M35A2.

I've never been overly excited with the function of the dash lights in original form. Maybe it's just me but the ambiant light that's supposed to be absorbed by the side windows of the gauges is so dim that I'd end up in the ditch before I was able to read one of the gauges at night. Ok, it's not that bad, but for Pete's sake, since I'm not going to encountering any hostile forces I think they can be a little easier to read!

So, I bought 20 5mm red L.E.D's on Ebay awhile ago for about $10. Since the individual L.E.D's are 12V I wired each gauge with two L.E.D's in series so that they'd be compatable with the 24V system. I used a total of 14 L.E.D's bulbs for the project but once I was done with all the wiring I only had to hook one wire into the 24V source for the instument lights and then connect a single ground. Easy.

The hard part was VERY CAREFULLY drilling the plastic windows of the gauges to accept the L.E.D bulbs. I ended up using a #8 drill bit which is just a bit on the snug side for the 5mm L.E.D's. Believe me, 5mm is as big as you would want to go if you undertake this project. If I was to do it again I'd probably go with 3mm or something similar. With the 5mm L.E.D's it is a very tight squeeze once the gauges are installed into the panel.

The good thing is that the L.E.D's are hardly noticable installed in the gauges when not "on" unless one knows what to look for. The bulbs are clear but they emit red light so they blend in quite nicely. Also, with two holes drilled in the gauge, all the shavings from drilling and 42 years of accumulated dirt was blown out of the inside quite easily with a little compressed air.

I know some folks are probably not too hot on installing L.E.D's into one of these trucks but the end result of being able to monitor your engine systems easily while in the dark is SWEET. I was really surprised how well these L.E.D's worked the first time I turned everything on. In fact, I'll probably add a potentiometer because their a little TOO bright.

Total cost of the project was less than $10 since I've got L.E.D's left over and the screwing around with it all day was simply priceless. :grin:

Attachments

EZFEED

Great job and looks awesome! This is definitley a mod that I will have to add to my machines as well but maybe in a green or blue.:-D I'm currently doing a LED tailight conversion which I have a thread posted here for.

So what made you choose those locations for the lights? Why up front and not behind the face?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note, the gauges are sealed, I think drilling in that location would allow water in if you were to get crazy on a fording trip. Looks really neat.

Dennis

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note, the gauges are sealed, I think drilling in that location would allow water in if you were to get crazy on a fording trip. Looks really neat.

Dennis
And some, if early enough, are radium gauges. YOU might end up glowing! Great idea though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! Can you still use the panel bright and panel dim functions on your light controller or are they simply "on" or "off"?
The "dimmer" setting on the 3-lever switch reduces the voltage applied to the regular lamp bulbs by a series connected resistor. The resistor is a 30 Ohm/8 Watt unit, so the drop across it depends on the load. You'd need another 30 Ohm resistor (also 8 Watt) to ground if only the LEDs were used to cut the voltage in half.
Wiring diagram of 3-lever switch shown below.

Attachments

CurryRA

Sorry about not giving any replies to this, I just got the chance to get on a computer.

Hmmm...I'm hoping none of them had radium in them as that would be unpleasant. I did think about the fact that the gauges were sealed and I decided that if I ever had water up that high in the cab I had more to be worried about then the gauges getting wet!

I like the idea of the L.E.D strips too which are snaked around the gauges. The reason why I didn't put the lights into the rear of the gauge was twofold: (1) not being able to see what I was drilling into and (2) fearing that once done, not enough light would be able to get around to the front of the gauge.

As for the dimmer, mine didn't dim the stock bulbs to start with and I'm assuming what was mentioned above about needing to add a resistor is dead on.

Now that I've poisoned myself, can anyone tell me what one of the radium gauges look like? I'm guessing they glow in the dark by themselves which is not something I've noticed on any of those gauges. The truck is a 67' and all the gauges are original (I'm guessing) with the exception of the fuel gauge (newer, all plastic rear). I did notice while doing this tha the pointer for the speedo will glow in the dark after being exposed to bright light. Very similar to if one were to hold a flashlight to the face of watch with a glowing dial. Now I'm crossing my dumb fingers hoping it's not radium.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that I've poisoned myself, can anyone tell me what one of the radium gauges look like? I'm guessing they glow in the dark by themselves which is not something I've noticed on any of those gauges. The truck is a 67' and all the gauges are original (I'm guessing) with the exception of the fuel gauge (newer, all plastic rear). I did notice while doing this tha the pointer for the speedo will glow in the dark after being exposed to bright light. Very similar to if one were to hold a flashlight to the face of watch with a glowing dial. Now I'm crossing my dumb fingers hoping it's not radium.
Unless you actually handled the pointer I don't think you got hurt even if they are radium.

Just to make sure go in a dark room and see if you glow :shock:.

50shooter

Very nice subtle improvement. It sure does look better than a flashlight strapped to your head. Passengers never like that b/c when you look at them to talk they can't see again for 15 minutes.

CurryRA

Yeah, I didn't handle the pointer or anything else inside the gauge so I should be fine.

Been there, done that with the flashlight while in other vehicles without working dash lights. You're right, passenger just don't take a shine to it ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks