• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Overdrive

oldordie

Does anyone have any info on M35's that had 5th gear (overdrive) removed on "heavy haulers"? I picked up 6 trucks at the auction and one real clean winch truck. You can shift into 5th gear, but just like neutral? A motor pool guy in Smyrna told me that some had them removed to avoid burning clutches with a heavy load? There are no particles in the trans, no noises, and shifts great 1-4? I would like to keep this truck if an easy fix? Any help or info would be appreciated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming it is a 3053A 5th o.d. tranny??? Is it a gasser M35 or a Multifuel M35A1 or A2 ???

While technically possible it wouldn't make much sense if this was done to an A1 or A2 w/overdrive tranny, except for limiting top speed to 45mph if the 3052 (5th direct) wasn't available.
For "heavy hauling" with a MF deuce I would swap in that gasser tranny which has a low 7.55:1 1st and 7.36:1 rev. vs. 5.13:1 and 4.90 respectively. The other gears are also better distributed.

Try to determine model #. Remove the top and take a look inside. Make sure the problem isn't in the synchronizer or shifting mechanism.
In either case it can be fixed without removing the entire tranny.

Gerhard

oldordie

gringeltaube said:
Assuming it is a 3053A 5th o.d. tranny??? Is it a gasser M35 or a Multifuel M35A1 or A2 ???

While technically possible it wouldnGerhard, thanks for the info. I believe the truck is a 69 model. It's a Kaiser M35A2 with a winch, LD465 multi-fuel. I have not had any time or experience with the M35 but sure want to keep this one if not a hard fix. Mark

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sounds like it is broken. pull top cover and look. if the gear is missing it would be obvious. i doubt if this was ever done, it's just a bad idea. if anything they would have changed it back to a 3052.

Matt1970M35A

Im installing new gears in mine today. I thank its posible to to put in a 5th od gear with out pulling the transmission. Ill see. I lost 5th on my home. If you need parts I found Memphis Equipment had the best price $260 for counter shaft gear and main shaft 5th gear.
Ill let you know how it went tonight.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you cannot remove the countershaft without pulling the trans. you can remove the mainshaft, you will drop most of the 14 rollers that go in the head gear, be sure you find them all. there are better prices around.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would expect the military to put a big, fat yellow dash sticker that said, "FIFTH GEAR REMOVED" or something if they did a mod like that.

If it was some sort of a safety, they sure limited the use and application of the particular truck thinking it would never be used "normally." A lot of work for what they may have been after.

I'm wondering if motorpool guy might have been running straight ATF or used motor oil, therefore, _______ _____.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
oldordie said:
Does anyone have any info on M35's that had 5th gear (overdrive) removed on "heavy haulers"? I picked up 6 trucks at the auction and one real clean winch truck. You can shift into 5th gear, but just like neutral? A motor pool guy in Smyrna told me that some had them removed to avoid burning clutches with a heavy load? There are no particles in the trans, no noises, and shifts great 1-4? I would like to keep this truck if an easy fix? Any help or info would be appreciated.
I think this is a crock. EVERYONE is basically lazy. You can dismantle the transmission and remove a gear - OR you could fab up a piece of steel and bolt to the dash so that the shift lever won't move into the fifth gear position. Which is PFC Snuffy gonna do, IF they were so inclined to prevent use of overdrive?

My .02,
David

Jake0147

RE: Re: M35A2 Overdrive

Removing fifth gear wouldn't make sense, even in an overloaded truck. What are you protecting? The clutch? If it can't hold back the motor in fifth, then it can't hold it back in any gear. If you want to protect the clutch, you need a lower first gear and/or a better selection of gears between low and high gear. Top speed maybe? Half an hour blocks fifth externally, five minutes once it's in kit form.
I question that explanation. One more vote for broken parts.

Matt1970M35A

Hay I had some good luck today. I was able to remove the main and counter shaft with the tranmission in the truck. But I pulled the case out after finding all the bearings are bad. This is probley due to haveing chunks of metal floting around in the oil. It only took a few hours by my self. vary simple. and my best advice for oldordie just remove the top and take a look.
It wont take 15 min. all you need is a few tools. Good luck
:D

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would caution making your deuce go 70 or 80. It then becomes not how fast I can go but how fast I can stop. Last thing this hobby needs is a soccer mom and her van full of kids crushed by a modified deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks