• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Starting Batteries, Replacement of,

saddamsnightmare

aua

February 2nd, 2008. Groundhog Day (Always useful to inspect grill guards when in Punxsawtawney today).

Well, Uncle Sam does it again!!

What, might you ask, did he do? It seems that my local battery and alternator guy USED TO BE ABLE TO GET NEW UT-6's, BUT UNCLE SAM HAS FORBIDDEN EXIDE TO SELL ANY UT-6's TO CIVILLIANS!!! I guess Al-Quaeda needs them to start the 737's for their next visit to the States!!! If you're BUILDING BOMBS WITH UT-6's, You MUST BE THE SECOND STRING IN THE TERRORIST LEAGUES!! IF this doesn't get the cake. I suspect that this is part of Uncle Sam's plan to destroy the deuces in the states- BUT has anyone been in the Bass Pro Shops Men's Room and noticed the phot mural with the American guy in Mongolia who shot a 1,100 lb Russian Boar from the back of the OD M35A2 in the background?? How do you suppose an M35A2 ended up in Communist Mongolia?? Could it have been exported by a LAW ABIDING U.S. Citizen?? (OOP's, OFF SUBJECT AGAIN!)

SO, Gentlemen and ladies, I am sure there are many leads for equivalent batteries for the old Deuce and a Half. I can get 990 CCA Commorecial batteries with top posts, but they aren't the exact same dimensions as the UT-6, and so I'll have to have fabricated a modified or new set of hold downs to protect the batteries. What size, Type, MAker or Number of batteries do you folks feel make the best and most durable replacement for the UT-6's???

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the subject of batteries for the deuce, as She's still a lizard below 34* F in the mornings, but when it hits 35, she runs like a demon.

THanks again for the time and kind considerations,

I remain, as always, indebted for trhe many kindnesses and considerations shown my inquiries by the most learned deuce owners,

I am, Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see now, an undercover ester goes through a TSA checkpoint with a fake bomb strapped to his back the feds won't let you buy a battery for a truck.

Must be part of homeland insecurity.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many posts on this topic. Try a Search

saddamsnightmare

February 2nd, 2008.

So far searching for every permutation of "Starting battery Replacement- M35", "Replacement for UT-6 Battery" , "Conversion batteries M35 Battery" has turned up a goose egg, soperhaps the computer and I are not speaking the King's English. Oh, Well, so much for the 21st Century!

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unig S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce AKA "Cold Weather Lizard" when its below 34*F!!!

ah1955

I know the subject has been covered but not sure where you would find them, that search thing stumps me too.
But I tell you what I did was just used two Wal-Mart batterys forget what group they are, then made a insert for the box and some unerversal J-bolts to hold them down have had them for over two years no problem.
If you want to stay with the U6 try Interstate Battery the last time I talked to our route salesman at work he said that he can get them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search for "6tl" gives 72 results, A quick look at the post titles will quickly lead you to several posts that look like they might answer your question. There is no one single correct answer for this. I am pretty sure Spruce Mountain Surplus has New 6TLs if that is what you need. http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/index.html

saddamsnightmare

February 2nd, 2008.

Thanks Mr. Doghead, I guess I had the numbers wrong for my seach, I will check with th elocal guy Monday to see if he can get me two 6TL's to replace the Exide's in the truck, let's hope Uncle Sam didn't embargo the whole series of military/ordnance equivalent batteries. The assistance is greatly appreciated,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce and a Half.

ida34

My local auto store could get me the batteries from Deka if I gave them a letter saying it was for government use. I work for the government so I could but I don't need any right now and they were kind of expensive.

poppop

I carried two 6tl cores to my interstate distrubtier two weeks ago. I was only using them for cores but he said, I don't have any recon's now but I will next week. How much I asked. $50.00 bucks for a recon 6tl. I only use recon or blems in most of my farm machinery because it sits so much of the year. Also use them in my OD Iron.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use cheapies and they work great. Another angle is you can use Optimas too. odiron.com has the adapters for the battery box.

ida34

CCATLETT1984 said:
your interstate or deka dealer can sell them to you with no questions asked. I bought one about 2months ago for $150.
The requirement came from Deka. It does not matter since I did not need them but wanted to see what their price was.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't put anything past Uncle Sam but it could be that the 6tl may be in short supply with everything going on right now so the manufaturers don't have any to spare to us lowly civilians. At least that's why they claim 5.56 ammo is in short supply and expensive.

houdel

Go to the Interstate Battery website and search for local dealers. Ask several dealers for a quote as they vary wildly, I was quoted prices ranging from $100 to $160. The Interstate part number most recently was U6TL, but I have seen others marked 6TL, 6TL MF and U6TL MF.