• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Transport vs. Drive

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased a deuce from govliquidation auction and will need to pick it up soon. It is located at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA and I live in North GA, about 650 miles. I have not inspected the truck, but it supposedly runs and the photos look good. The best quote I have received for transport is roughly $2K. I'm considering trying to drive the deuce home. Am I crazy?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us everything you know about deuces and what manuals you have read and digested and we will offer an opinion.

area52

You should be able to find shipping quotes for way less than that especially on the east coast.

I paid less than $1500 to get my M816 shipped over 750 miles, and that was out west where it always seems to cost more.

I say ship it and not get into the worry or hassle of "what if it breaks down?" Although there are alot of guys on here along the way that could help you out if/when you have trouble.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove a deuce while in the army for about 1-1/2 years, but that was 38 years ago. I also have copies of all manuals.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will voice my opinion now. If it don't go, it don't go. If it don't woah then you have a world of hurt. The biggest safety factor of any deuce is the single circuit brake system. If you go over the brake system with a fine tooth comb and are comfortable with that, go for it. I'd check every steel and rubber line on the truck. It only takes a single leak for you to have zero brakes. Know as much as you can possibly know about the brakes before you take off. Please don't drive it home and post the question, "Where do I add brake fluid?" Also I'd do thorough checks at very close intervals and increase them as you go. 5 miles, 10 miles, 25 miles, 50 miles then 100 miles, then do one everytime I stopped for anything. You can't be too careful. Have your TM 9-2320-361-10 with you too, maybe even the -20. Get numbers of several deuceaholics for roadside assistance and tech support as well. Leave 10 times the safety gap as you do with a car too!

KaiserM109

I drove a deuce while in the army for about 1-1/2 years, but that was 38 years ago. I also have copies of all manuals.
Welcome, old timer!

It was 38 years from the time I drove them in the Army to when I sat in the driver’s seat of the one I won sight-unseen and the GL guy had to tell me what to do. I drove it 475 miles home solo towing my Bronco.

There are a lot of safety things to consider, so use SEARCH and pay serious attention to the brakes on the rig.

Welcome

SAVE THOSE MANUALS!!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right about the brakes. If it won't run, I have a problem. If it won't stop once rolling I have a much bigger problem!! I intend to go over the truck thoroughly before I start, if I decide to drive. I'm still looking for better quotes for transport. Thanks for the help.

bassetdeuce

Also like to add that some bases require you to tow the truck off. 650 miles is a long drive in a deuce. Are you going to drive thru major cities with tons of traffic? I did such a journey of 600 miles in an m818, and even with no mechanical trouble it does get quite tiring at 55mph for such a long drive in a vehicle with zero comfort. :roll:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very good point about the possible towing restriction. I need to ask, because I didn't consider this a potential problem.

BugEyeBear

Place a posting on Uship and you should get PLENTY of lower quotes.

Be flexible on your shipping dates, and respond quickly to any questions.

You should be able to get a rate of approx $1.50/mile.

You might get a rate as low as $1.00/mile IF the trucker REALLY needs to fill a return trip on an existing dead-head load. You shouldn't have to pay more than $2.00/mile.

I might also suggest starting a new post here on SS, with a link to your Uship listing. There are a few truckers who frequently look at the SS site, and often they'll offer discounts to SS members! After all, it is pretty easy to load & unload, and there are plenty of obvious places to secure the load.

Good Luck!
-Bear-

Pinz25086

I picked up my deuce in Little Rock AR and drove it all the way back to Orlando FL. When I picked it up the brakes would not work. I had to replace the air pack. After that (and still) I have had no problems. It was quite the adventure driving over a thousand miles back home. It can be done! Listen to the advice that has been given so far, be safe, and enjoy the LONG RIDE home. 650 miles is longer than you think when going 45-50 mph. Stop often, look at everything, wear hearing protection, and enjoy everyone passing you going back home. I had a chase truck with me just in case we broke down. I also borrowed a tow bar just in case. In Little Rock, you are allowed to drive off the base but it is not that way everywhere. Make sure you have all of the details before you go so you will not have any surprises.

Good luck!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anneville will let you drive off base from what I've been told, no problems there. Like Recovry4x4 said, know your truck!!!!! I drove mine home 750 miles from Ft. McCoy in Wisconsin to S.E. Ohio. But before I even started the truck, I did a very thorough inspection of every brake line and hose on the truck and looked closely at the inside and outside of every wheel for tell-tale signs of leaking brake fluid. Obviously, you can not inspect the wheel cylinders unless you can get an axle in the air, I doubt they'll let you do that on base. I felt comfortable driving it home after I found a brand new air pack and master cylinder as well as probably 90% brand new brake lines.

The second biggest safety concern you and ANYBODY should have for driving one home is insurance. At the very least call your insurance company and find out if you'll be covered for the trip home. Personally I bought my commercial policy before I even took posession of the truck so I was covered from the get go, with no questions or worries about it. Find out if you can get a transport tag or temporary tag from your DMV and as long as you have good brakes and insurance you're golden. Just my 2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For insurance, search the site, lots of info. My personal preference is Gulfway in Fl.

KaiserM109

You are right about the brakes. If it won't run, I have a problem. If it won't stop once rolling I have a much bigger problem!! I intend to go over the truck thoroughly before I start, if I decide to drive. I'm still looking for better quotes for transport. Thanks for the help.
Not only will you have a problem, but someone else will too, most likely. A guy in a new green Chevy pickup in
Manhattan, KS got religion when water got into the air on my brakes. As for me, I had to replace about 5 lb. of cotton in the truck seat after my azz puckered up tight.

Before you leave GL in your shiny, new purchase, pump up the air tanks and drain them TWICE to make sure there is no water left. These trucks have been sitting for as long as a year without being driven or otherwise maintained.

Is it an M35 or an M109?

… I did a very thorough inspection of every brake line and hose on the truck and looked closely at the inside and outside of every wheel for tell-tale signs of leaking brake fluid.
I helped bring a truck from OK to CO. When we drove it out of the yard it had no brakes, pedal right to the floorboards. They let us work on it in the outside parking lot. RRR wheel showed evidence of a brake fluid leak. We filled the empty master cylinder and bleed the brakes through the RRR wheel. That restored a good pedal and we headed out. We pumped the brakes frequently to keep the rubber cup expanded. They worked fine for the trip but it leaked again in storage in CO.

Last edited:

EnteJager

I paid $500 to move mine about 80 miles on a lowboy, had title, just didn't want to have any problems until I had a chance to really look it over.

No major leaks geat brakes, new engine, really great shape.

Unloading off lowboy injector line developed massive leak from cracked line. I would have paid alot more than $500 to recover off the side of the road for sure. Backing into the barn the wiper switch on the dash developed a leak,
not enough to bleed the tank down, but enough to cause concern.

If the brakes fail and you get into an accident it will be the most expensive $2000 you ever saved.

Educate and plan for everything, read the TM's

Just 2 cents.

chill63

Go to the Transportation section of the forum and contact MD Carriers, Hotshot, ALRedneck, ...

They are all experienced with hauling MV's and dealing with GL for pick up, have decent rates, and good service.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say drive her back. Go and check the truck out, bring lots of fluids, tools, and some camping gear. I assume you will have a chase vehicle? Its not required but makes for a better trip. Plan your route, get some names and phone numbers of some people from here along your route in case you run into trouble. Many of us are willing to help out a fellow MV enthusist.
For the $1500-$2000. transport cost, one could buy another truck! Consider it an adventure.

WeBeJeepin

I agree with vtach. Drive it! My recovery was a lot shorter than yours (only 200 miles) and I had a trailer lined up, but at the last minute somebody convinced me to drive it and I am glad I did. I had a chase truck with everything imaginable (fluids, air tools, compressor, welder, etc.) and the trip went great. After the fact you will either be glad you drove it or ready to sell it.