• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 vs m923

Rkrug

looking at getting my first mv an m923,but saw some nice m35a2 for a good price on GSA site, was wondering which would be better to start out with and easier to work on.

If i do get one of the m35a2 the description said that the brakes were bad would this keep it from being towed with a tow bar?
Forgive me for my stupidity I know more about M923s

M813A1

Well to drivethe M923 5 on you will need a class A CDL for the full air brakes the Duece is fine without a CDL !! The Duece is cheaper and easier to maintain and the parts are alot easie to find , The M923 will far more expensive to fix overall amd the parts are harder to find .. Good Luck with your decision both trucks are fun to drive !!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can tow with a tow bar if the towed truck has bad brakes. What are you going to use for a towing vehicle?

212sparky

The only time you need a class A cdl is if you pull a trailer over 10,000 GVW. You need a class B with air brake endorsement to drive the tractor since its GVW is over 26,001 pounds. Hope that helps

Rkrug

You can tow with a tow bar if the towed truck has bad brakes. What are you going to use for a towing vehicle?
Friend of mine has a peter built semi with a pintle hitch on it so i'll probably have him help me tow it if i get it.

Maxgussam

If I remember correctly, on a commercial vehicle, any axle set that is on the ground must have brakes that work. The only exception that I know of is for mobile home movers and the like. Either way, it's unsafe to tow a truck that heavy that does not have functioning brakes.
I'll bet that the PETERBILT drivers love their Peter Built trucks!

As one of the deligates from the People's Republik of Kommiefornia, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in this state of brain dead uninformed and just plain stupid lawmakers, any vehicle with 3 axles that is not an RV requires a CDL to drive. Yes, the california Highway Patrol's Commercial Enforcement Division likes to pull over unsuspecting deuce owners and cite them for driving out of class. Just another of the thousands of ways this chickenpoop state makes money to keep supporting undocumented aliens instead of just shipping them out like they used to do.
:mad:

MarcusOReallyus

Redbeard, you are being too kind to the lawmakers in Kalifornia.

I'll withhold further comment as it would likely be seen as political! :mrgreen:

JOEDEUCE

cdl requirements....

Cdl requirements seem to vary somewhat......I live in Va..... I want to buy a 5 ton... Now supposedly if I use it for ”recreational use”,only , I should be fine with a regular non cdl drivers license...... As long as im not towing or hauling, I should be good..... However that doesnt mean I couldnt get harrassed by a rookie LEO.... But if its my legal right to operate the vehicle with a regular drivers license , as the law is written, I will do so . Seems as tho a lot of folks arent really aware of what the laws are. And a lot of it really depends on what you are using it for.

martinwcox

CDL requirements are very state specific, research, call your local state commercial vehicle enforcement division and ask.
Here in MA I can drive anything with air brakes on a regular class D license so long as its for personnel use only, not in commerce.
I have an M35a2 and an M923, very different both a lot of fun.

Clay James

As one of the deligates from the People's Republik of Kommiefornia, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in this state of brain dead uninformed and just plain stupid lawmakers, any vehicle with 3 axles that is not an RV requires a CDL to drive. Yes, the california Highway Patrol's Commercial Enforcement Division likes to pull over unsuspecting deuce owners and cite them for driving out of class. Just another of the thousands of ways this chickenpoop state makes money to keep supporting undocumented aliens instead of just shipping them out like they used to do.
:mad:
I've been pulled over and and know other people that have been and had no problems with it registered historic and regular class C licenses.

goldneagle

CDL = Commercial Drivers License. You notice the first word is COMMERCIAL. In LA (the state) if you are using the truck for personal use you do not need a CDL! :driver:

Welder Sam

Funny, lots of advice here but the only advice on the legal matter that actually applies is to research your states laws. What works in one state doesnt in others.

I was really wanting a 923/925, still wouldnt mind but... when i really got down to the "what would i do with it that i couldnt do with the deuce" question, i came up with "nothing other than spend more money in fuel and in this state, have to have a cdl". Yeah, 939's are big, faster, and auto but, for my use, they have more disadvantageswhen compared to a deuce. Just my thoughts.

EWhytsell

Funny, lots of advice here but the only advice on the legal matter that actually applies is to research your states laws. What works in one state doesnt in others.

I was really wanting a 923/925, still wouldnt mind but... when i really got down to the "what would i do with it that i couldnt do with the deuce" question, i came up with "nothing other than spend more money in fuel and in this state, have to have a cdl". Yeah, 939's are big, faster, and auto but, for my use, they have more disadvantageswhen compared to a deuce. Just my thoughts.
Exactly my reasoning for getting a duece vs a 5 ton. I'm not sure how Ohio handles historic commercial sized vehicles, but going the non comm private route you still register a truck by weight and with the air brakes you need the air brake endorsement. It all adds up to a good bit of money annually just for some joy rides. If you then try to tow a trailer with the 5 ton you end up in class A territory which I don't have a need for at all at this time.

Welder Sam

Up until recently, i had 2 m35's, a 109, and an 816. Im down to 1 m35 and 816. The 816 seldom goes down the road because of the cdl requirement and the extremely low fuel mileage. Since i now own a "farm"(by usda standards at least), im looking at farm tags simply to get around the cdl. However, that imposes other state sanctioned limitations..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does every 5-ton discussion have to turn into a CDL thread?

Unless you live in KS or know KS laws, there is no way to know if a CDL is needed or not.

RayK

Deuces in Georgia

I just checked GA laws and a CDL is required for any vehicle with air brakes OR air over hydraulic brakes. I've never heard of it being enforced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks