• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Winch & PTO issues

Caseymikl

I became the owner of an M35A2 Deuce a couple months ago. After using this forum for help i got the IP installed and got her running!! It came with a winch and someone removed the winch. It had the PTO already as well as the winch mounts. I came across a PTO winch for it on craigslist an hour north of me for $300 and i went and snatched it up. The cable was kinked in many places and actually broke. So i undid all the cable and took it off (will be Replaced with new fresh cable). Now to the issue I'm having, we will start with the winch. Used an engine hoist and got it installed on the bumper. its just sitting there right now because i don't have the drive shaft for it yet. so the winch is just sitting there. The lever is in the out position and the drum lock is pulled, except the drum does not free spool. it turns about 1/4 turn maybe more and stops. sounds like its hitting a solid steel block. also the clutch in and out lever will not go into in. i have tried spinning the drum back and forth while pushing it, nothing works. i pulled the drain plug and almost no fluid came out of it. i filled it with ATF to put fluid in it and to flush it out. i don't understand why the drum will not free spool. I'm thinking maybe it needs to be rebuilt. i am not to sure, would like some assistance with the issue, maybe someone else has had this issue before or i am just doing something wrong. Now onto my second issue, the PTO on the gearbox is always spinning, no matter what position i put the lever in for the PTO its always moving, all the way back it goes in reverse, forward it goes slow and all the way forward it goes fast forward, if i put the lever where the lock goes down and stops it from moving it still spins slowly. there is no shaft currently on it, need to figure this out before i buy the shaft. any help is much appreciated!!:)

FarmerRob

Can't help you with the hard stop and no free spool but the slow spin of the output shaft while the PTO lever is in neutral is just gear oil drag. You could theoretically stop that movement by just holding the output yoke by hand. The operation of the PTO all seems normal.

Caseymikl

It sounds like whatever is blocking the drum is on the passenger side of the truck where the lever is. You can feel it in the lever when the drum hits the stopping point

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "clunk" you hear is more than likely the clutch dogs contacting the dogs on the drum, your engagement lever doesn't seem to be working. Somebody more than likely has tried to force it and bent or broke something. The engagement lever doesn't like to be forced and can break fairly easy.

Sounds like it's time to tear into at least the clutch side and see what's going on. While you are at it you might as well tear into the gear side also to inspect and re-seal.

Callahan

Was you able to figure out what the problem was? I have a 67 m35a2 that has the same problem. The only difference is mine is stuck in clutch in and I can't get it to free spool.

fasttruck

As m16ty suggests clutch lever could be involved. Worked on one of these once when unqualified operator apparantly forced the handle with a cheater pipe which resulted in breaking the woodruff key that attaches the handle to the shaft coming out of the winch case. There also believed to be other keys inside the case that could be broken.

Caseymikl

I have not messed with it. I filled it full of trans fluid to clean it out and it's been sitting and leaking... So it's safe to say it will be getting a complete rebuild. Also I haven't got the pto drive shaft. I did pick up some used tires for it. Will be getting new Windows all around, new door Windows and windshield and mirrors then will register it finally.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was you able to figure out what the problem was? I have a 67 m35a2 that has the same problem. The only difference is mine is stuck in clutch in and I can't get it to free spool.
I would imagine the sliding clutch is stuck. As Fasttruck pointed out, don't try to force the lever to un-stick it or you'll be buying more parts. Pull the side cover and see what's going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks