• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 won't start

bassariscus

Forum noob, Deuce noob. Thanks for your patience.

1967 Kaiser m35a2, aquired this summer. Started and ran fine 'til first cold snap. Temp dropped to 30 F, it wouldn't start, or even turn over. Temps warmed back into 80s a week later, started and ran fine. Next cool spell, same problems. Once and only once, the neg terminal of one battery sparked when the start button was pressed, engine then started. Can't make it work again.

Installed new batteries, still same problems. Checked all connections w/starter & solenoid, seems fine.

Any thoughts?

bassariscus

I should have said that the batteries (both old and new sets) were fully charged. Fuel pump and all other electicals work. When the start switch is pressed, fuel pump slows like something is pulling on the battery, but engine doesn't turn.

westfolk

RE: m35a2 won

If you are sure all the connections are good. Did you loosen, wiggle and retighten them? Then here is something far off in left field to try. Turn your switch on. Hit the starter button. If nothing happens. Using your left hand reach down behind the dash to the plug behind the starter button. While trying the starter button wiggle/push in on the plug with your left hand. I do not have an answer for it, but one of my trucks do it every now and then and this works. An easy try. May be moisture in the plug? Don't know but it works on mine.

Boatcarpenter

Did you ever check the major ground to the frame behind the battery box? This can be intermittent and may give you one hell of a scare if it ever arcs sometime when you hit the starter button, just ask Wallew!!!

westfolk

I was posting while you were there Bassariscus. So...after checking ALL your connections you can try what I posted above. However with your second posting I'd say you have a bad connection.

Boatcarpenter

One friendly piece of advice Bassariscus. I had a total electrical shutdown with a rather large pop one day on a test drive after I flushed the cooling system. Got home and started the seek and ye shall find scattergun approach to fixing it and didn't get anywhere. Finally took the CD with the electrical diagram on it to a place that advertised Large Format printing and had them run me off several copies 11" X 17". Makes it all very clear and legible and I started at the beginning and traced things through and found the trouble in no time at all. Very handy indeed

bassariscus

Thanks for the suggestions.

Earlier today I removed, cleaned, and replaced all connections between battery and starter/solenoid, incl. grounds. Also gapped the two wires running to the switch just to make sure the switch was good. Still same problem - when the button is pressed, the fuel pump slows like something is pulling on the battery, but the starter doesn't engage. Batteries charged, all other electricals work. It's gotta be a bad starter, right? Anyone else have a similar problem?

westfolk

To check your starter without taking it out. Make sure the truck is out of gear and brake on. Using whatever works for you cross the posts on the end of the starter. If your starter is truly bad not much will happen but some sparks. If it's good you'll get some sparks and the starter will kick in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a junk ground connection. Don't use a test light, use a volt meter, Check grounds from engine to chassis, chassis to cab, cab and chassis to bat neg. Technically, they should all be less than 10 ohms, but, 10 will still give you fits. I like to see less than 2 ohms... the guys at work hate me for that! BTW my junk had a B+ cable almost rubbed thru the insulation at the hole in the frame where the cables exit the battery box and where the B+ cable makes the bend to attach to the starter solinoid. Check these too, it will ruin your day!

bassariscus

The 24V system does spook me a little. I guess a person just has to be careful.

I don't think the battery-ground connection is the issue... it was tight when I checked, I cleaned and replaced it anyway just in case.

I'll try to jump the posts on the starter to see if it turns over.

Man, this is frustrating....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
beware wiggling the bat terms when cranking, if bad inside bat, boom!. put voltmeter from + to - on batteries. crank. note voltage, should be 18-20V or more.. put meter from bat - to engine block gnd, crank, note voltage, slould be 1 or 2 volt max -of more, bad connect somewhere. do same test for 24V side to starter solenoid an to starter +.

ida34

wallew said:
bassariscus,

Don't play games as the 24v (and amps) of the deuce CAN kill you if you are not careful.

peace.

jim
My Taser puts out 50,000 volts and I have not killed anyone with it yet.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well if its ever a really hot day and you have sweat pouring down your forearm and are trying to bypass the starter switch by jumping it with the end of dikes because its bad, make sure your forearm is not touching the dashboard because it will shock you, I know! Just my safety advise.

Hookin1

i would check where the wire from the starter button goes to the solenoid you may have a bare spot rubbing somewhere....do you hear the solenoid click when you push the button? if you do then it is between the solenoid and the starter...when my starter burnt up last year the solenoid would click but that was it....

jasonjc

Some thing else to check like you don't already is the start solenoid bjorn had one go bad and had some pic of the inside it could be getting bad mite be abnle to open it up clean it up and save it????

MrAugust

i didnt nhave leeds tight enough n the post melted but was unable to see it and the truck struggled to start, i got a terminal shaver n cleaner n new batts off we went all clean good connection. earth is allways the first thing to check. if u think started hit it hard n push putton.. it turns its ur starte. it clicks try an other point ... lol hope i makes sence

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just above the starter, there is a relay mounted to the engine block. Get some one to push the button and see if it is clicking. Mine pulled the same stunt. Worked when warm but nothing when cold. But cold here is about 40 deg! Anyway this relay went bad on mine. So give it a look see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks