• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C circa 1968 Strange Bracket

brianp454

I picked up a pair of ¾ inch x 4 foot long straps at a local shop for $2. They were made in China, but it’s all I can find. Now I have a way to properly retain my bows when not in use. I think they retain them well enough and I think I did it the way the TM suggests. I think I'll cut about 2 feet off of them because they only need to be about 2 feet long.

M35A2C Bows Stowed and Strapped Under Cargo Bed 2.jpgM35A2C Bows Stowed and Strapped Under Cargo Bed 1.jpg

On the subject of my ‘incorrect headboard” I found a pic in the Classifieds that seems to help me understand the issue. It seems my C truck with drop sides is missing a bracket that bolts onto the front side of the wooden slats in the top of the headboard. Anybody up to taking a couple better pics of your C headboard?

M35A2C Headboard.jpg

For the record, I like the Operators Manual with the snow bunny in the Santa outfit, now that’s a TM! The non-PC of it is classic, no way it would exist today.

Attachments

brianp454

Thank you! Now I understand that it's not that I have the wrong headboard, it's that I'm missing a bracket (or two). I had a hunch that there should be some sort of bracket like that to hold the verticals in place. I don't see much value in having two of them as there appear to be in the pics; one at the top should suffice since the slots in the forward end of the bed can control movement down there. Is this bracket unique to C version trucks with drop sides?

I may take some careful measurements and fabricate a bracket like that, or perhaps see if a local guy or surplus outfit has a couple to send me (one right and left as it looks like each bracket holds 5 verticals.

Your truck looks VERY clean!

Woodsplinter

Brian, you are correct there are a right and left bracket. The upper and lower sections are all part of one bracket. For some reason they were particular to the drop side bed.

Your headboard did not have the brackets because it probably came from a non-drop side truck.

Thanks for the compliment- the pics were taken before I painted the truck it's current color, Marine Corp. forest green circa Vietnam.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you! Now I understand that it's not that I have the wrong headboard, it's that I'm missing a bracket (or two). I had a hunch that there should be some sort of bracket like that to hold the verticals in place. I don't see much value in having two of them as there appear to be in the pics; one at the top should suffice since the slots in the forward end of the bed can control movement down there. Is this bracket unique to C version trucks with drop sides?

I may take some careful measurements and fabricate a bracket like that, or perhaps see if a local guy or surplus outfit has a couple to send me (one right and left as it looks like each bracket holds 5 verticals.

Your truck looks VERY clean!
Although you're on the right track, you (probably) still have the wrong headboard.

First, here is a clearer picture of the brackets.

IMAG0766.jpg

Ok, there is an additional difference between an A2 headboard and an A2C headboard.

The standard, non dropside headboard has a bracket, a tab if you will, that slides down into the loop that's on each end of the troop seats. It looks like this:

IMAG0770.jpgIMAG0768.jpg

But that wouldn't work on a dropside-you couldn't drop the bed side(s) without removing the headboard. And the military designed the dropside to be droppable with the seats still installed, that's why the pins on each end go into the troop seats legs.

So the correct A2C headboard has a removable pin. When you want to drop, you pull the pin(s) and the troopseat(s) can disengage from the headboard.

A2C headboard:

IMAG0767.jpg

Woodsplinter

Clinto, thanks for the info on the removable pin- my truck did not come with them and I had no idea what went there. I put some large bolts there to keep it from rattling.

brianp454

Last edited: