• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C

M35A2

I have been looking at the government auction and there are a lot of desert sand M35A2C's for sale that are condition HX. But looking at the trucks they seem to have been refurbished with what looks like recon engines etc.

Can anyone explain why this is? It states that they start and run, so why are they being sold as scrap?

This is exactly what I want. Can you get these on the road and legal?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=1559200

Cheers.

Michael

do a search for "condition codes"

Short version is they don't mean a thing and have no relationship to actual condition.

They are easy to get on the road here, but I don't know about England.

DanMartin

Looks just like mine! :) (no really...it's like a twin!) Note the flapper on the exhaust...looks like it's maybe an Air Force truck. They tend to be in great condition...probably never made it off of the base.

I do like that pintle hitch on the front bumper...hmm. [thumbzup]

M35A2

The thing is, I am going to be emigrating to Alberta later on this year and I will be looking for an M35A2 to buy. They are about $12,000 in the UK to buy and there is a VERY limited supply of trucks here and most have been trashed. The trucks here are on their last legs and most have been run on contam fuel. In the UK you can only get a pre 1960 truck otherwise it needs to have an HGV MOT (Heavy Goods Vehicle safety test every year) The truck I linked to, if for sale in the UK would set me back about $16,000. I'm emigrating to Canada as a Class1 OTR Long haul Truck Driver so a licence isn't a problem.

What sort of price do these trucks go for at auction? Will I have trouble importing it to Canada? If I am able to import it into Canada then I have a plan, but would it work?

If these trucks can be bought at auction and made road legal, but you can only be a US citizen to buy, would it be possible to get someone who lives in the States (I know a few guys there) to bid for it using my money, register it in their name then "sell" it to me?? This way I would be able to get a really good one. Are they subject to commercial vehicle safety testing or would they be exempt as a historic vehicle?

The only problem I can see is the importation into Canada.

Any idea's guys.

Emmado22, you say these are original condition trucks. They sure are in real good condition. I will be converting my pounds to dollars when I move and will be doubling my money. I would be looking at about a $12,000 dollar budget. Would this get me a good truck?

Thanks again.

Andy

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
M35A2, the problem you will run into is with tha auctions, the winner is required to fill out an EUC. That euc will FORBID them to sell the truck to anyone but a U.S. citizen. You will be better off buying a truck from someone who didn't get it with an EUC.

M35A2

gimpyrobb said:
M35A2, the problem you will run into is with tha auctions, the winner is required to fill out an EUC. That euc will FORBID them to sell the truck to anyone but a U.S. citizen. You will be better off buying a truck from someone who didn't get it with an EUC.

Right OK.

What year did this EUC come into force? I take it I can get a truck that was sold before this came into effect?

Thanks.

Srjeeper

Go to Government Liquidations site and look under "terms and conditions". All your questions can be answered there. You can also go elsewhere on their site to look at what items are available and what they bring around the US.

EUC's are more about you, than the vehicle.

M35A2

It is so different in the States, hey?

In a British Army auction you just bid for the item, pay your money, get your paperwork then register it yourself with the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency. If it needs a safety test then get it tested, pay the road tax and off you go.

Here is an example.

Buy vehicle, get vehicle HGV MOT'd on chassis number, get registered, pay road tax and there you go, a nice 8X6 tanker on the road.

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=859&Overide=1

bottleworks

M35A2 said:
If these trucks can be bought at auction and made road legal, but you can only be a US citizen to buy, would it be possible to get someone who lives in the States (I know a few guys there) to bid for it using my money, register it in their name then "sell" it to me??
The person who would be "buying it for you" would be violating federal law.

You might have better luck at a MV dealer, however, the violations would still be made.

DanMartin

M35A2 said:
It is so different in the States, hey?
Yes..and it makes zero sense for stuff like cargo trucks, but such are the times we live in.

Just a suggestion...see if you can find one up in Norway...there are a bunch of them up there and many of them have factory locking differentials (rare for the US trucks). You might also be able to get some out of Germany. Getting one from the US proper will not happen legally.

BTW: I do get over to the UK from time to time...usually Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Next time I'm over there I should look you up...it would be great to discuss the finer points of MV over a pint or three.

Cheers!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some larger dealers can export trucks. I don't know what the conditions of sale would be though. I know Memphis Equipment exports them but they have to have DOD approval. I'd call them and see what they say. You should be able to get a nice truck for $12,000 US.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
And you cant bid from Govermet Liquidations period. If your not a US citizen they wont sell to you also you cant export the trucks , not now or ever , so the trucks you see might not be there legaly. thats at leat what i uderstood

LanceRobson

Addressing things in order:

The condition code is assigned by the military unit that turns in the item, no one else. By regulation, it cannot be changed by anyone else regardless of the "real world" condition of the item. Units are specifically cautioned to not under-rate property but in more than 30 years of experience I've never heard of a unit catching hell for what it claimed as a condition code.

HX translates, roughly speaking, to "junk": however, the real condition could be, and sometimes is, that the property is in the factory packaging.

HX is a convenient code because some of the codes that indicate a more readily usable condition require the surrendering unit to turn the item in in "ready to issue" condition. That would include all of the scheduled, anticipated or required maintenance and turning it in with serviceable tires, canvas and tools etc.

Given a limited budget for repair parts and labor man hours, HX may make the most sense for a losing unit that is not sending the property to a sister unit. I'd be lying if I told you I haven't used myself.

Regarding purchase and export: GL's website does not mention citizenship as a requirement for eligibility to purchase property.

Additionally, the EUC form has spaces to include appropriate export info.

I don't know the law on vehicle export but it seems that the correct place to start with an straight answer to all the the above questions would be to request a written determination from the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), specifically, the Trade Security Control (TSC) folks. The DAL TSC would likely be the final and only arbiters of the whole question. Try starting at www.dla.mil

Lastly and, perhaps most pertinent, will Canada allow importation by or to a private citizen?

Hope some of this helps.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a while since I filled out a EUC but now that you mention it I believe it says " no export without DOD approval" not just "no export".