• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C

M35A2

DanMartin said:
M35A2 said:
It is so different in the States, hey?
Yes..and it makes zero sense for stuff like cargo trucks, but such are the times we live in.

Just a suggestion...see if you can find one up in Norway...there are a bunch of them up there and many of them have factory locking differentials (rare for the US trucks). You might also be able to get some out of Germany. Getting one from the US proper will not happen legally.

BTW: I do get over to the UK from time to time...usually Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Next time I'm over there I should look you up...it would be great to discuss the finer points of MV over a pint or three.

Cheers!

Thanks to all you guys that have replied. It really seems a shame that they classify cargo trucks like they do. It's not like I'm some Taliban suicide deuce driver or something!!! I bet lots of equipment just gets scrapped as no one buys half of it, such a waste.

I suppose that's one good thing about the UK, you can buy anything almost, even main battle tanks.

DanMartin - Aylesbury is very close to me, just 1hrs drive. I know it quite well. I'm from Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire and Aylesbury is only a 40min drive from there. If I'm still in the UK then you are welcome to get in touch, I'd love to meet up and have a beer and a chat.

Thanks for the offer.

M35A2

bulldog_mack13 said:
And you cant bid from Govermet Liquidations period. If your not a US citizen they wont sell to you also you cant export the trucks , not now or ever , so the trucks you see might not be there legaly. thats at leat what i uderstood

Hello mate,

All the US M35's in the UK are from Holland and Germany. They were coming over here until the late 90's then they stopped. That's why all the M35's here are junk and WELL over priced. I had a chat with the guy who owns Marltrax once. This guy was the main importer and he told me he imported about 70 trucks, not very many for a country of 60 million people. They are too much hassle to get on the road if they are pre 1960 as they require the driver to have a CDL and a yearly safety test. So 99% of the trucks are pre 1960 vehicles. They are too old.

saddamsnightmare

February 3rd, 2008.

Dear Sir:

Please do note the export requirementson the EUC, and note my post above on "M35A2- Starting Batteries- Replacement of" about the M35A (in the Deuce forum above) that managed to make it to MONGOLIA (I'd love to know the story there), but, yes, the Talibani could use a M35A for a suicide bomb truck, and when you think about it- most GI's know there are units still in service with M35's, so you might not look hard enough soon enough to save yourself and unit.
AND- in most of the world, these are recognized by most civillians as US Military Vehicles (see thread several months back in Deuce form on the one stolen in Germany), so the government is justly concerned in how they may be used or percieved by foreigners.
Having said all that, I am pretty certain that the Canadian Army must be sloughing off their versions of the M35A with the singled bogies, most of which were modernized to reflect an ESP option, and they should be available in Canada ( I believe one was up on EBAY the last month or two in the Military Vehicles secion), so you might ba able to avoid all the pain and suffering by getting one of theirs. ODD, you can buy a main battle tank in the UK, but you can't own a pistol or ex military rifle (assault type)? A very different world we have today.

I do hope you can dig up one of these critters, but an M38A jeep's easier to get and afford to run. Good Luck, Happy Hunting, and a safe journey to the white Dominion up north.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare", Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce and a Half.

M35A2

Polverone said:
M35A2 said:
Hey M35A2 over the pond in England,

I checked out your link........ I kinda like this "Tipper" - no relation to Al Gore. :lol:

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=1348&Overide=1

Has the best of all worlds. Backhoe that could double as a crane, dump bed, 6X6. IMHO you could get that and draw a small crowd everywhere you go when you bring it over here.

Cheers

Hi Polverone,

Yes, that is a very fine truck. Volvo are a very good truck. We have some Volvo tractors at work, FM400 with the Volvo I-Shift auto tranny, they are a superb tractor unit.

These trucks were supplied to the Royal Engineers. When I was in the Army they started coming into service about 1996. These trucks will have hardly been used and were only driven by A1 trade Combat Engineer Drivers, so they wont be too abused. It would be great to have one, but there are a few things that would prevent the private buyer.

1) The price. £37,500 + 17.5%vat = £45,500 = $89,562 dollars, a lot of money.
2) They require an HGV Class 2 drivers licence (OK for me as I have a class 1)
3) They would need a yearly commercial vehicle safety check.
4) The road tax might be expensive, although I think you could tax it as a "Private HGV" but this would mean you are not allowed to carry ANY goods of ANY description in the back or you would be in serious trouble.

If you want something interesting, how about this? All for $417,000 USD. Note, it's unissued and in brand new condition. No chance driving it on the road though, but would be good if the Police wanted to stop you!!! He,He.. :wink:

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=1027&Overide=1

M35A2

saddamsnightmare said:
February 3rd, 2008.

Dear Sir:

Please do note the export requirementson the EUC, and note my post above on "M35A2- Starting Batteries- Replacement of" about the M35A (in the Deuce forum above) that managed to make it to MONGOLIA (I'd love to know the story there), but, yes, the Talibani could use a M35A for a suicide bomb truck, and when you think about it- most GI's know there are units still in service with M35's, so you might not look hard enough soon enough to save yourself and unit.
AND- in most of the world, these are recognized by most civillians as US Military Vehicles (see thread several months back in Deuce form on the one stolen in Germany), so the government is justly concerned in how they may be used or percieved by foreigners.
Having said all that, I am pretty certain that the Canadian Army must be sloughing off their versions of the M35A with the singled bogies, most of which were modernized to reflect an ESP option, and they should be available in Canada ( I believe one was up on EBAY the last month or two in the Military Vehicles secion), so you might ba able to avoid all the pain and suffering by getting one of theirs. ODD, you can buy a main battle tank in the UK, but you can't own a pistol or ex military rifle (assault type)? A very different world we have today.

I do hope you can dig up one of these critters, but an M38A jeep's easier to get and afford to run. Good Luck, Happy Hunting, and a safe journey to the white Dominion up north.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare", Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce and a Half.

Thanks very much for your reply Kyle.

I can see your point about the trucks. But in reality I can't see them going through the hassle and all the paper trail of export just to get a truck into Iraq or Afghanistan. Also if they did they would be at risk of getting killed by their own side as other people might also consider them US Military.

I wasn't aware that the Canadian forces had any M35A2's? I thought they liked to buy French equipment. Are these trucks as good as the US versions? I'd love one that's spent it's life somewhere in the States very warm and dry so that it would be in great condition. With all the snow and salt on the roads in Canada I bet most of their trucks are pretty rusty after all this time?

Yes, it's a funny world indeed. You can buy Main battle Tanks, APC's, Artillery pieces etc, but aren't allowed to buy Hand Guns or semi/automatic weapons. Basically all you can buy legally after a 6 month grilling by the Police and home visits to see how you installed your weapons cabinet, is a 12 gauge shotgun. They are even tightening up the law again and are banning the sale of deactivated weapons and blank firers. That wont bother the criminals as they get the guns illegally anyway. It's the law abiding citizen that likes to go target shooting that suffers.

area52

YES YOU CAN EXPORT A TRUCK TO ENGLAND!! Sorry for the yelling but I have been over this when I had a potential buyer for my M292A2 from England. England is one of the few acceptable countries to export to.

PM devilman on here for all the details but he bascially told me that its legal, you just have to do all the paperwork and go through an approved exporter ( approved by the DLA I believe?)

Floyd

Hey St. George: I don't see the big problem. As far as I know Canada has no problem with it's military vehicle sales. Find an equivalent and or a M35 and buy it. They do use the M35 in Canada. Not being a National I have little idea what's available on the used MV market.

Floyd

DanMartin

The Canadian version of the M35 series is referred to as the MLVW. They typically come with cold weather and ether-start kits and single rear wheels on the rear axles. Just google MLVW...

M35A2

Floyd said:
Thanks Dan it made me look. Floyd

OH YES. Now that's what I'm talking about. Where do I get one, how much, put my name down!!! :shock:

Right, this truck will do me. When i get to Canada I'm looking for a house with a garage big enough to store and work on my M35A2. Thanks guys. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks