• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 and Dexron III

ApopkaFL

Banned
Listen if you want to save your self some money... DO NOT SWITCH YOUR TRANSMISSION TO THE " Dexron III " as matter of fact ALLISON no longer approves it..

(1) TES 228 (C4 type) fluids are no longer approved for use in Commercial On-Highway transmission products and have
been removed from the Allison Approved Non-TES 295 and Non-TES 468 fluids list.
(2) DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI fluids are no longer approved for use in Commercial On-Highway transmission
products and have been removed from the Allison Approved Non-TES 295 or Non-TES 468 fluids list.
(3) Military specification fluids are approved for use in Military Applications in 3000 and 4000 Series products only, and
are strictly prohibited from use in 1000 and 2000 Product Families transmission products.
(4) Fluid and filter change intervals are based on transmission model, vocation (duty cycle), and fluid type (see attached
charts). NOTE: Fluid drain intervals are based on 100 percent fill with Allison approved fluids. Fluid change intervals
may be adjusted based on fluid analysis and fleet data. Refer to Service Information Letter 17-

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google it!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dexron III and all other Dexrons are a trademark of General Motors. Any petrolium company that wanted to market transmission fluid that complied with the GM standard for Dexron III had to pay GM a royalty to use the Dexron III name. GM has now rescinded the standard for Dexron III so no company can now legally use the Dexron III name. If you notice, all ATF that people are now calling Dexron III actually don't state 'Dexron III' on the can. They simply state that the fluid should be used in all applications calling for Dexron III. It still complies with the original Dexron III standard. Allison is not saying not to use fluid that complies with the old Dexron III standard. They removed Dexron III from their approved ATF list because there is now no longer a GM standard called Dexron III. When I talked with the technical service engineer at Allison, he told me that I should use Dexron III and not to use motor oil and that the only reason the Army used MO was to eliminate another fluid. He said that TranSynd and the other compliant ATFs were better only in the regard that the frequency of fluid changes was extended. He also specifically said NOT to use Dexron VI because it would damage the seals in the Allison. He told me I would be impressed with the improved performance of the Allison when I got rid of the motor oil, and he was right. He told me to make sure I got rid of the motor oil completely by repeated flushings because neither the Dexron III nor TranSynd was compatifble with the motor oil. I wish I had a recording of the conversation as he was a very knowledgeable engineer on the 1545 transmission.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about pm me his number
I called the Allison Technical Assistance Center at 800-252-2583. I have to warn you if you call them that I almost had to argue to get to talk to someone and I got transferred several times. It was an effort to obtain that telephone number.

trukhead

Hmmm, about 30 years ago in the machine shop as an apprentice, I was told to go to the front office and fetch some maiden oil. I did not. I guess now I better go get some for the A3............fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks