• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Cat 3116 Max Operating RPM

big block 88

1000 hp is not to impresive anymore for a diesel. I know there are 3116's runnin more power than that out there. Its the same thing with high performance d-max and cummins motors 1000-1200 hp is completely possible but life span goes down dramatically. You gotta pay to play

03silverado

My thing about the CAT 3116 is this if we can run our little dump truck with a backhoe in tow screaming its tail off day in and day out for days on end months at a time and it already has 150,000+ miles on it I surely wouldn't worry about holding it to the floor in your deuce that probably has less than 20,000 on it just make sure the oil and anti-freeze are topped off.

03silverado

My theroy is this if we can run the piss out of our CAT 3116 everyday for months at a time and several years now then you running the piss out of you CAT 3116 for the little bit of time that you probably drive it isn't going to kill it if something could go wrong it would have already gone wrong with ours thats how i see it I just wouldn't worry about it basically its all up to what you want to do really but personally i wouldn't worry about them if they can handle the abuse the railroad gives them then they can handle the abuse you would give them

lonegunman

Not sure if you’re saying it ran at 2550-2650 rpm or 2925 rpm. However, IF you ran 2925 RPM….

No offense, but that is 60 hours of runtime, on a power unit designed to run 10-15 THOUSAND hours. We could probably run these engines 60 hours without oil and they would still run great. I have read of the CAT 3116 putting out 1000 HP....However with, a MTBF (Mean Time Between Failier) at around 100 hours.

A top fuel dragster puts out between ~ 5000-8000 HP. BUT only has to do it for ~600 Revolutions. (8000 rpm/60 * 4.5 sec per run=600, or close enough)

Shoot…… I could probably get that out of the old lady.....ONCE. (i would be dead, of course.)

Just my 2 cents, but at the cost of a rebuild; my time, at this point of my life, isn’t worth the $. But if I/WE were to have 6 months to live. By all means, LET ER’ RIP.

Just trying to say, 2650 RPM, as CAT designed, is probably a prudent, long life, kind of RPM, to expect from the 3116.

IF you ran @ 2550-2650 RPM I would expect/demand that your rig would run for 12 hours a day for 833 days straight MINIMUM. (Factory rated 10-15k hours)2cents2cents

Sorry, I thought I was speaking english.

Let's break it down into parts:

I had my tac verified by Cat when I had the top end done. ( When I drove my truck into the Caterpillar dealer and had them do the 500 hour service and overhead they attached a reflector to the pully and used a timing light to establish the rpms the engine turned and the rpms the engine indicated on the gage in the cab were in fact the same or very close to it)

48-50mph is between 2550-2650rpm ( when the tac says 2550-2650 rpm the speedometer reads between 48-50 mph and the GPS seems to think we are going the same speed)

with max revs of 2925rpm. ( according to Caterpillar and sticker on top of the engine this is the redline of the engine)

Mine ran that speed 12 hours a day for five days straight at that rpm with zero problems and used less than a quart of oil. ( The truck ran perfectly and after fifteen months, still runs great. As a matter of fact a heavy truck mechanic drove it yesterday for the first time since I bought it and still loves it. )

I like this truck and the engine has worked well thus far, the truck has ran perfectly and does anything asked of it when used within the limitations of a M35 truck. It even gets pretty decent fuel milage for a truck its size.

Last edited:

03silverado

@ lonegunman im with you like I said about the work truck thing has150,000+ and we run the piss out of it everyday so running the piss out of an A3 that has less than 1/4 the miles of our little dump truck I wouldn't worry about it

trukhead

Vroom Vroom BRrrrrrrrrr

I like runnin mine at about 1600 rpms under a little load as I'm cruisin the feilds. It's got that Catitude. I ram the snot out of it a few times down the road and realized I didn't like that at all.
Drivin it takes me back to over the road but I can shut this off when I want to sleep and I like that and this machine will go through mud puddles YAY!!!
I dopm't want to overev the alternator cause it might over speed it. The pulley was off the shelf and $15.00 and they installed it before they shipped it.
If any body is interested how i did this alternator conversion , I have a bunch of pictures.:grd:

Attachments

trukhead

Alternator Charging

The volt meter immediately shows charge at idle, needle is in the green. I noticed the needle doesn't quite go to the tiny point in the upper third of the green that the original alternator indicated. However I don't notice the battery stink (hydrogen gassing-overcharging the battery I'm guessing)

I purchased a 58 mm pulley from spider marine at the same time I purchased the alternator. The pulley on the original is in the 4 inch diameter range. I was worried about over speeding the alternator but I was told by the older gentleman at Quick Start said that the alternator will run up to 15,000 rpm. The alternator included spec sheet for the alternator sez the alternator is set to 28 volts and is 70 amp rated.

Now for the rant, It is a chinese mfg. delco made to delco specs so it is fixable and not a throw away. WHY CAN'T WE MAKE STUFF HERE IN THE GOOD OLE USA! aua

The old guy here is great so patronize him if you can:

High Output Alternator, 200-250-300-350 Amp Alternators, high output alternators, GM,Ford, Chrysler Dodge Alternators

this is the alternator I used:

100 NEW Delco 24 Volt 70 Amp 21si Alternator: Alternators &amp Alternator

the SteelSoldiers member who I spoke to that sells the alternators kits for the A2's is a great guy and you should patronize his business first. I was going to use a kit from him but I got innovative and cooked up what is in the pictures. I still used the original serpentine belt and the top tension bracket. I drilled the end hole out to 1/2 ".

Hope my yapping helps.

fat lady sings

Attachments

Last edited:

jaymcb

Sweet alternator setup! My 3116 in my m109a4 just ran for 50 miles @52-ish MPH indicated, tach read about 2700-2800RPM, or even a little higher a couple of times <yikes, in retrospect>

I had the good fortune of buying a truck with 137 hours indicated on it. I'm hopeful it wasn't spending all that time @ 2900.

I'm looking at a 450 mile trip to home once I get my tags from the CommieWealth. I will not be running at the red for any part of that trip, or ever again, if I have anything to say about it. 395's should help in that regard

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have put 2,300 miles on my A3 now and i push 2,900 to 3,000 rpm to get 52 to 54 mph, it sucks. Going to 14.00 x 20 tires, ( from 43" to 49.5") will drop it 350 rpm.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything I read here says the 14.00x20's don't fit without a lift or mods.

What mods are you doing, and what are they going to cost?
That is on the A2, the A3 is taller. Some guys run 16.00 x 20 at 53" tall, the 14.00 x 20 are 49.5 tall. I will be cutting up my A3 i a couple of weeks to bobb it, all ready have the tires.