• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Dead Electrical

Hoefler

Truck has run fine. Went to run it today (has been raining hard for two days here in MN), and it started then just shut off. No power anywhere. Check battery terminals and all tight. Found the three curcuit bearkers but no reset on them. Have no electrical-lights, nothing. Any suggestions?
Pete

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the batteries? I have seen batteries die overnight.

Always start simple.

dmetalmiki

If you have a master battery isolation switch turn it off. After the batteries cool down. Remove them. Have them checked. Then Check for a VEHICLE WIRING short circuit. You can test with a meter first. or with Everything switched off place 6/ or 12 volt accross the + and - WITH SMALL 24 VOLT bulb in iether lead and see if it lights up. (= short) . (possibly the MAIN lead though the chassis to the starter solonoid OR the starter solonoid itself.
I would think ANY other circuit short WOULD have fried the wires before jiggering those batteries. Probably not that as the fuses/trips were not hot? Let us know what the fault was when you find ( and fix! ) it.

Hoefler

I believe I have a short somewhere.
I had a master battery switch. Made the cables myself. When it didnt start, I thought perhaps I soldered them poorly or maybe the switch was bad. Took the switch out and returned negative to buss bar on batt try-thats when she started to get hot and smoke. Used a hose, safety glasses and gloves and got in to disconnect ground from battery-smoking stopped.
I bet its my solenoid-it has been "missing" occasionally. I did repair the solenoid a while back (flipped the disc) but perhaps I put it together incorrectly.
Smoking battery-big pucker factor. Thought it would burn up my truck. Was a little excitement getting that ground off with old smoky belching a steady stream of smoke. Thought maybe it was bad battery (truck came from GL with Optima red tops). They have been known to do this, but when I disconnected neg cable, she stopped smoking.
I will report on findings. Think I better light up a stogy right now!

Hoefler

I took your advice-pulled the starter and solenoid out. It looks like the solenoid disc had a failed plastic washer. I could see back spking-charring all artound. Bought a complete new starter with solenoid from an SS member and installed it. Starter change out took little time and was an easy one man op.
Hooked up batteries and now have electrical in cab but not enought to spin engine. Batteries are at 10 volts so hitting with charger on low setting. I did re-connect my battery (Ericks) quick disconnect. I have one on all of my trucks and would not run without. After the smoking battery incident, having a fast way to shut her down is a good idea. Was a real risky task disconnecting a battery that was hissing and bellering smoke.
Will follow up after batteries are alive again.
Pete

Hoefler

Lane,
Thanks for stopping over and talking electrical stuff and other good stuff too. Your truck is one sweet ride. I have seen a lot of A3 engine bays-yours is by far the best. Scott is the guy you want to talk to on MIL truck stuff-he is in Blaine and on here as tie6044. Would be great to all meet somewhere and get some tea and crumpets!
Pete

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whooa. Pucker factor would be high if that happened to me! Thanks for posting those pics BTW, I was wondering what those straps were for on the inside of the cover! Dooooh.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to check all the bearings except the one side of one axle I just took care of before I stray too far but would be nice to meet everyone locally sometime this summer.

Freight Dog

Hi Pete,
I really enjoyed meeting you and Lolly Saturday. It was fun talking trucks and solving the rest of the world's problems at the same time.
You did a terrific job on the starter/solenoid replacement. Kudos!!! Cool installation! As I mentioned, while drooling over your truck, I love those big tires also! Thanks for sending Scott's contact info. I'll try to get in touch with him soon.
I can hear my wife now..., "you want what?"
You have the ultimate in tolerant brides. I never met anyone with two -A3's AND a Five Ton before. We're going to have to teach our wives how to drive them. Then we would have a convoy of four without even trying hard.
Thanks for posting those pics so fast. We need some more of your truck!!!

Please thank, Lolly for her hospitality.
I'm certain she was THRILLED to have another Olive-Drab, iron pile in her driveway.

Lane

Hoefler

It's all good. After being married so long, I may have just worn her down. She is used to me going on these tangents.
I put a good set of batteries in her and she fired right up. The wholeo thing started wit
H a bd solenoid isolation bushing. These truck
Is seem to have ek
Lectrical systems designed by
Fred flint stone.
Top will be coming off this week.
Pete

Freight Dog

Let me know when you pull the top.
I'll come down and get in your way...if you want an extra hand.
Give me a call 433-5321
It's only about a 25-30 minute drive. Unless I bring my Deuce, then it's about an hour to an hour and a half :)

Hoefler

Lane
Looked at her last night-doesnt look to bad. The rear up rights are loose.
New starter spins the engine like mad-its really nice. I will give heads up-maybe meet at a DQ.
Pete

Freight Dog

Hey Pete,
DQ or where-ever. Good idea. Buy Lolly some ear plugs and bring her along.
I'll bring, Tweed, my wife. That way they can meet and complain about us.
Gotta go mow the lawn.
See ya later.
Lane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No way I would EVER get that close to a smoking battery. I would have got the hedge pruners out and cut the negative wire. The less time you are near a smoking battery the better! Glad you didn't get hurt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks