• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 electric winch

aztec

Have warn 18000 pound winch severe duty 24 volt winch going to install 2 one on front one on back have custom 200 amp alt combo welder to install any comments

A3 electric winch install

Have warn 18000 pound winch severe duty 24 volt winch going to install 2 one on front one on back have custom 200 amp alt combo welder to install any comments
Here are some pics of the winch install I did on my A3. Installed A2 winch frame extensions, but shortened them a few inches. Boxed in the front with 3/8 plate steel on bottom between the frame rails, and also at the front between the frame rails. Wanted the winch flush with inside of bumper. Spliced in the steel that was removed from bumper so winch would fit flush, but put it back on to increase hight of cutout portion of bumper. Did not raise bumper height as normally done with these frame extensions (I did not want to block airflow to radiator, turbo intercooler, or trans cooler) and this was not necessary to clear the PTO as those don't exist on the A3. If I remember correctly, the bumper is extended 10 inches. Winch is centered inside frame rails. Will post more pics if requested. There are many ways to do this, but since my last truck (92 F-150) had the Warn bumper with 12K winch, I made this install pretty much identical as to how that was. Considering adding diamond plate steel to top of bumper to match how my old Warn bumper was done. Or, perhaps make that storage space for straps and shackles... I'm interested to see what you decide to do for the rear install. It looks like the winch will need to be mounted upside down to obtain the best clearance, but should be a much easier install than the front.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
shovelheadmike,

You did a smooth looking install there! I like the narrow clearances and the way you boxed the rails makes the thing very sturdy; likely better than the military winch install. Have you used the winch, yet and put some serious load on it?
The front view is a real "this is what the military should have installed" kinda pic!

Cattlerepairman: "You did a smooth looking install there! I like the narrow clearances and the way you boxed the rails makes the thing very sturdy; likely better than the military winch install. Have you used the winch, yet and put some serious load on it?
The front view is a real "this is what the military should have installed" kinda pic!"

Aztec: "Thanks alot what did you do to elect sys alt if any thing"

AceHigh: "When will you start selling the kits?"

The only thing I have done electrically is to install two new blue Optima batteries. They were the biggest that I could find and are 900 CCA. They fit in the plastic battery box at an angle, but I think they look cool that way. Blocked them in with 4x4 and 2x4 lumber. Ran 2/0 cables from batteries to the winch. The cables exit rear of winch to just behind that sheet metal plate behind winch, under radiator. Had to bend back that sheetmetal plate to clearance for those springs on the back of wench. Have the cables strapped to back side of the sheetmetal for routing to the right side frame rails. You can see the two small bolts that mount the straps on either side. Used jumbo size wire-ties to strap them inside the frame rail all the way back to the battery box. Took 14" of 2/0 cable. Could have gotten by with 13', but would not have been as neat.

I don't do any heacy duty winching. Just the occasional recovery (so far, always someone else), and pull down trees. I can dig around the base of a tree, cut the main roots going out to the sides, and pull most treas right out of the ground. Roots and all. Of course, you do need to have the strap located up a good bit in the tree for more leverage. Even at 14,000+ lbs weight, still have to strap the back end to another tree if I'm pulling something down that is more than 18" dia, or if it is windy for safety.

chowbutt

Don't get that Deuce stuck, that 18000Lb winch will work great to get that 92 Ford out but don't stand near the cable went you tried to get the deuce out with that 3/4"cable. The installation look nice.

Farmun

Shovelhead, That's exactly the way I plan to install my Warn 18k !! Laying the basement, beside the winch (on a skateboard), I have the the bumper extensions (18" each), and the 1/2 plate steel to span between the frame rails, just waiting to get installed! Love your pictures! Because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Just waiting until a free weekend to git-r-done. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks alot what did you do to elect sys alt if any thing
When will you start selling the kits? :p
Don't get that Deuce stuck, that 18000Lb winch will work great to get that 92 Ford out but don't stand near the cable went you tried to get the deuce out with that 3/4"cable. The installation look nice.
\

I don't know why you would say that. I won't even starting getting close to getting into trouble with the 1/2 inch cable supplied by Warn until about 30,000 lbs pull. If I'm pulling my A3 out from being stuck, I doubt that it will ever come close to straining this winch. If it does, I can just reel it out to the first layer for a full power pull. If that is not enough, have a snatch block that will double the effective pull. I've been using Warn electric winches for over 30 years and have NEVER failed in a recovery of either myself, or others. However, I have pulled a few pieces off of other vehicles when the owner did not attach my strap to a part of their vehicle that was sturdy enough for the task at hand.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was at a bluegrass festival a few years ago and was called upon to unstick the tour bus of Rhonda Vincent. My F-150 strapped to the rear of that bus didn't budge. I might as well have been strapped to a large tree. However, my straps and shackles attached to the rear of her bus and a 2 1/2 ton farm truck with about 35 fans in the back did just fine. No winch was used. I was called upon to haul all of the band’s gear up to the stage with my F-150 since their bus could not make up it the hill. No, for all the effort, I didn’t even get an autograph. Go figure…

Farmun

OK, I'm getting close to finishing this thing up, have some more holes to drill before I mount the winch. Got the controller from the Brown truck delivery guy, (was told in another thread I needed "Part # for REMOTE CONTROL ASSEMBLY is 72567") That's what I got, but it's not the one I needed. Here's what the connection from the winch looks like. I'm thinking this is most likely military issue, and not within the civilian market.... Will I be able to get the correct connection on the controller? Or can I swap this end for a more conventional one?

Attachments

Last edited:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what those winches came on and I would think if they would suffice on an MRAP they would do OK on the Deuce. I am thinking about selling a few in the future if they work out. I could see a lot of adaptability in these kits. I.E front/rear units ,on vehicles such as CUCV's etc.

popacom / BILL in KY.:driver:

I didn't get the controller with my winch. However, the pin size needed was a perfect fit for using the power connector from a computer floppy drive power extension. So I used 3 of the pins, some paper and epoxie glue and made one. The switch was less than $10 at the local electronics store. It works.great. Be sure to use a.switch that is momentary contact that is spring return to the center off.position.

dmetalmiki

I like warn winches

So I fitted one to my M45 fire truck. 24volt. switches on the dash to operate it.

Pulled a few cars from the dykes here. (and) one lorry with snatch blocks. I just LIKE driving and using the fire unit. You know (don't you?) blow the siren wail the wailer flash the lights etc..lol. can't resist .
The winch is on m35 extension winch rails. plus shots of before painting and fitting the winch.

Attachments