• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 electric winch

I think that the Warn 18K is just right for the Deuce. That said, I'd be sure to have a good snatch block just in case. It is probably a bit light for a 5 ton.

Revision based.upon advice.from oldman99: Yes, it.should do just fine. See.info from oldman99.

Last edited:

oldMan99

The "Standard" winch for the Deuce is a PTO 10k.

The "Standard" winch for the 5 ton is a 20k hydraulic.

Many people will argue that both the PTO and hydraulic are "Stronger" that the electric of the same rating. I'll not argue that point as it is actually not all that relevant.

In another thread here on SS I listed some of the equipment that I consider a minimum list for a vehicle that you intend to take off road. ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html )

With the equipment on that list and more importantly THE SENSE TO KNOW YOUR STUCK AND STOP MAKING IT WORSE will get you out of most "Stucks".

The winch on the Deuce (10k PTO) is note nough winch for a truck that size if you get it stuck badly enough. Neither is the winch on the 5 ton (20k hydraulic).

On a Deuce the 18k Warn carries almost 2x the rating of the "Standard" PTO(10k). On the 5 ton the Warn 18k is pretty darn close to the rating of the "Standard" 5 ton winch (20k).

Again, avoiding the electric/PTO/hydraulic argument I suggest that given the proper ancillary equipment (see the above mentioned post) some EDUCATION on the proper use of the winch and ancillary equipment and as noted, enough sense to know your stuck and stop making it worse the 18k Warn will be sufficient in most situations.

Although very difficult to "Prove" I would be willing to bet that If your stuck and are using the same methods and ancillary equipment that if the 18k is not enough to get you out, the 20k would not get it done either.

That said; Would I like a larger winch on a 5 ton than the Warn 18k? Sure. If there was a 30k electric I would want it. The electric is physically much smaller and lighter in size and is much easier to install than either the PTO or hydraulic.

For professional use on a wrecker, construction, oil field or other application where the winch is going to be used regularly and heavily then the PTO or hydraulic are more rugged and will have a longer life.

For "Recreational" use on a civilian MV or other off road vehicle the extra ruggedness that allows for daily professional use is not needed. The reduction in cost, reduction in complexity of installing and easier to use makes the 18k a very viable option.

Again, by initiating the winching operation early in the "Stuck" rather than burying the vehicle to the roof, having/using the proper ancillary equipment and having/using the proper education on the winch/ancillary equipment you should be good to go.

Not to mention that the Warn 18k costs less new than a used PTO or hydraulic (And that is before you add the extra stuff you need (PTO shafts, hydraulic controls and pump..)

I would recommend that you add an extra battery and/or the highest output alternator you can get your hands on. Use some common sense when using any winch, including allowing it to rest/cool and the batteries to recharge (Or better, to remain charged) as needed. (Even the PTO and hydraulic winches need this!)

Your mileage may vary....

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I agree 100% with oldman99, but didn't want to start another "if it's not PTO or hydraulic..." tiraid by those certain closed minded folks...

I have been told that the Warn 18K is what has been installed on the MRAP, someone.must think it is plenty for a vehicle that is close to the 5 ton in size. In my experience, it a very good and stout winch. Following oldman99 advice, it shoud be all the winch you need for a 5 ton. I gladely accept the clairfication.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Needs a coat of TAN paint. :) Otherwise it looks pretty kewl.

Oh, I did get a.great deal on another Warn 18K that was.damaged. Got it.strictly for parts. However,.manager to fix it. So, it will be.going.on the.back this summer. Will.post.pics.when done.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it does. If you look close, I still have a.few more bolts to install. Do you think all of.the winch should.be tan? Other than the cable.
Look at a factory winch and see how much tan it has and then copy. If that's the look you're going for.

If you want to true military look get plenty of overspray on the cable.

What's an average price on one of those winches?

eldgenb

am I lost or something, I have never seen a 5 ton with a hydraulic winch. I don't even think the 9 series have one (i have never owned one so I could be wrong on that one). Now I know the m35a3's have a hydro winch but I have not real experience with that setup. Too new school for me I guess. Now the one thing I do have experience with is that the standard pto winch on a 5 ton is rated at 20k and have frequently used them on very stuck 816's which weigh in at over 30k lbs and it worked great, as long as the engine is running your winch is pulling. I would agree that the 18k warn would be ok for the rec user so long as you have a snatch block and accessories to go along with it but again with regular winch users I would look for an original od winch. I do thing however these would make for a great rear winch that you could hide between the frame rails in the back for an "oops should not have gone that way" mistake.

oldMan99

Look at a factory winch and see how much tan it has and then copy. If that's the look you're going for.

If you want to true military look get plenty of overspray on the cable.

What's an average price on one of those winches?
:funny:

Oh, I did get a.great deal on another Warn 18K that was.damaged. Got it.strictly for parts. However,.manager to fix it. So, it will be.going.on the.back this summer. Will.post.pics.when done.
When you do just be sure you use wire that is plenty large enough and I highly recommend putting said wire inside split loom or even slitting a rubber hose to cover the entire length. With the amperage it is capable of carrying you sure don't want it chaffing over the years and shorting out.

While your installing the rear winch you might want to consider adding a power outlet like for the slave cable to be able to jump start from back there, or use other 24v accessories.

By the way, good score on the second winch! And remember, plenty of overspray.... lol...

Somebody asked about pricing; I have seen them sell from the low $800's to the mid-high $900's in several places. Not long ago somebody had some here in the classifieds for 8-something I believe.

Prices... I have seen most of them in the $800 to $900 range. Last summer a guy in FL had a pallet on new ones complete with cable, hook, and 30' remote for $850. Excluding shipping. Searching online, have seen quite a few for $500. These were on some of the 4x4 sites where guys had bought one thinking they could use it on their 12 volt rig. Then they realize it takes a bit more to use a 24 volt winch than expected, then sell it cheap to just cut their loss. I bought one that was broken just for spare parts for $100. However, I was able to fix it and now have one for the back!

Anyone have pictures of a winch on the BACK of a Deuce? To me, it looks like the best spot is between the frame rails above the pintail hitch. Need to keep the hitch as I pull stuff. Don't want to give up the approach angle by mounting it below the hitch. It sure does look like a tough install as the back bumper does not come off like the front.

gunner_bear

I could be wrong but my understanding the stock duece winch is 10 ton(20k) not 10K limit. That would make it a bit smaller than the warn. Also there is a huge difference in the amount of cable. 250ft vs 80ft.

eldgenb

I could be wrong but my understanding the stock duece winch is 10 ton(20k) not 10K limit. That would make it a bit smaller than the warn. Also there is a huge difference in the amount of cable. 250ft vs 80ft.
its ok you are wrong :mrgreen: it is 10k and 20k on a 5 ton. They are however under rated significantly.

NEIOWA

Fill me in if I'm wrong. I looked at a M35A3 w/winch @ McCoy DRMO on Monday. It was a hydrulic. Looked like a std M35A2 winch which as I recall was PTO shaft driven.

Did Sam buy/rebuild M35A3 with Electric winch?

My interest - Need a snowplow for my small town. Thinking an M35A3 with winch would work (as already has hyd system). Remove the front bumper/winch/hyd tank and sell it (some worthy SS fan perhaps). Install hyd tank and plow w/plumbing. Already have suitable Henke plow, tank is easy.

What pump does M35A3 w/ hyd winch have? Pressure? Flow? PTO with shaft driven pump or a Transmission mounted pump? Truck I found at McCoy was on flat tires in a snowdrift so did crawl under it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
both the 54 and the 809 series 5t were pto, the 900 5t was hyd. all were #20000, the deuce ,a1,a2 were pto, the a3 was hyd.. all were #10000
the 5t winches were all the same except the input drive, this also goes for the deuce winches

AceHigh

Fill me in if I'm wrong. I looked at a M35A3 w/winch @ McCoy DRMO on Monday. It was a hydrulic. Looked like a std M35A2 winch which as I recall was PTO shaft driven.

Did Sam buy/rebuild M35A3 with Electric winch?

My interest - Need a snowplow for my small town. Thinking an M35A3 with winch would work (as already has hyd system). Remove the front bumper/winch/hyd tank and sell it (some worthy SS fan perhaps). Install hyd tank and plow w/plumbing. Already have suitable Henke plow, tank is easy.

What pump does M35A3 w/ hyd winch have? Pressure? Flow? PTO with shaft driven pump or a Transmission mounted pump? Truck I found at McCoy was on flat tires in a snowdrift so did crawl under it.
There are usually a few hydraulic pumps for the A3 for sale on ebay. They run around $60 or so. I see 2 right now.

The specs for the pumps are:

GPM 13 @1000RPM
Max RPM 3000
Inlet Port Sixe 1"
Rotation Counterclockwise
Max Pressure 3500PSI
shaft size 3/4 11 SPL
Outlet Port size 1" STR THD
Muncie POWER products, Inc

They mount behind the air compressor I think. Might be easier to just buy a pump for what you are describing then to buy a winch truck just to get a pump.

NEIOWA

You misunderstand. Can get an M35A3 from DRMS for no cost. A std model no winch or if fortunate one of the few with winch. With winch then get an existing hyd system and don't have to install it.

Hyd pump is behind the air comp. You telling me that the M35A3 has a engine belt driven hyd pump? Not off transmission PTO? Going to have to find a TM.

You misunderstand. Can get an M35A3 from DRMS for no cost. A std model no winch or if fortunate one of the few with winch. With winch then get an existing hyd system and don't have to install it.

Hyd pump is behind the air comp. You telling me that the M35A3 has a engine belt driven hyd pump? Not off transmission PTO? Going to have to find a TM.

That is correct. It would be a belt driven hydraulic pump. Not PTO drivven. THere is not any PTO levers in the cab of an A3.

Personally, I do not like the look of the A3s that have the hydraulic wench because of the very large and unsightly hydraulic fluid tank mounted behind the bumper on the drivers side. I like the looks of my electric Warn 18K much better.

NEIOWA

Found the -34P at tpub.com You're right. Appears that you remove a cover/plate from the "backside" of the aircomp and install hyd pump (pump shaft engaging the compressor crank). Will have to chekc what flow required for 11ft hyd snowplow blade. Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks