• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Low Air Buzzer While Steering

Navo

Hey Guys.

First off Let me say that I have searched both on this website and using google. I see in one post about it being mentioned, but I couldnt find an outcome or cause. With that said, let me explain the situation.

I have owned this M35A3 for about 6 months now. It has been great and I love driving it. The last time I drove the truck was on Sunday the 27th of January. I drove it all over running errands with no issues. This morning however I got in and fired it up, let it warm up etc. I noticed when I start to move the steering wheel even just a little that the low air buzzer goes off and the PSI guage drops 0 then immediately builds back up. It does this while steering in both directions. So obviously I wasnt able to get my fix....

I havent noticed any problems leading up to this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would think you have a leak in you air assist steering and need to track it down and trouble shoot. The regulator has a high failure rate or you have a fitting/line that is loose.

edit, wow I must type slow

Navo

Where is the regulator located? I searched under the truck and under the hood along with under the fender. I guess Im just missing it? I closed the valve on the firewall and of course that stop the air from dropping when I turned the wheel. Do I need a new cylinder that attached under the fender?

Navo

Post #6 of this thread substitute for military power steering unit has a bunch of links to threads on your problem .
Thanks for this post! It shows where the regulator is, I know why I was missing it. The previous owner bypassed it and has all new fittings. So.... Its not the regulator. I guess the next step is to add that marvel mystery oil to it and see what that does. Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The regulator is not needed. There is not a "kit" to rebuild the drag link, which is what I believe is your problem. Look for a recent thread by "turbotim"(I think that was his name). He had an issue with his similar to you.

Navo

Thanks for the link, I sent him a message. That is not what I wanted to hear about not having a rebuild kit. I guess I can try to find another one. The regulator is already bypassed so apparently the easiest solution is not going to work...

AceHigh

Navo, I might be able to help you out on this one. The truck did this once before and it drove me nuts! I added air tool oil to the piston and the drag link, worked them back and forth many times and no joy. At first it started just every once in a while, finally became so serious I was not able to build air or move the truck.

I started testing component by component and finally used a percussion tool (hammer) and hit a regulator-like device under the truck next to one of the air tanks, and HISS real loud. I mean real loud! Suddenly the air built up and everything began working fine.

I would have replaced the device but it was working great, so I thought it was fixed. Anyway the good news is the "repair" was free, I regret it was not permanent.

Hope this helps!

AceHigh

No, the air dryer is new and was working great. The regulator I hit with my percussion tool is shown in TM9-2320-386-24P and is in Figure 113. Air Reservoir and Related Lines. It is listed as part 43 PAOZZ 4820007287467 19207 12267073 VALVE,LINEAR,DIRECT (I think I got the right part). Anyway, it is right next to one of the air tanks.

Apparently that regulator or valve can stick from time to time.

Navo

Thanks AceHigh,

its good to know the Air Dryer is new. I tried a few hits on that valve but it didn't do anything. So maybe I can try a few more taps. Did you have the truck running? I see you already have the regulator removed and added new brass extension.

AceHigh

OK, I slept on the problem and here is what I think. Probably someone who knows better can tell if I am on the right track or not.

On the A2 deuce, when the engine starts air immediately starts building, but on the A3 the gauge stays at zero until suddenly it raises to 120. That air is somewhere, just not available to the components on the truck. I think it is in the tank and the little valve or regulator is closed until it gets to 120, then it opens.

On this truck, that valve is sticking and not fully opening. When it does open, it does not fully open so as soon as Navo tries to use the air assist steering, which uses a lot of air, he gets a warning. When I had the truck, it finally got bad enough it simply did not open, I hit it with a hammer, it started working. Now it is slowly getting hard to open again, and again it is the air assist that makes it set off the warning.

Anyone who knows if this is the case? Thanks

Navo

The truck appears to build air pressure no problem, just like normal. The problem lies when I turn the steering wheel. The low air buzzer goes off and the air pressure indicator drops to 0. As soon as I stop turning the wheel the pressure needle starts rise again very quickly back to 120.

I see the valve that AceHigh was talking about and I have given a few hits with a rubber hammer- No change in behavior.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
now that i have more of the story, it sounds like there is a restriction in a line, like maybe ice?? it has been cold! the real question is, is there a leak or is the steering system still functional.

Last edited:

Navo

From when it Sunday till when I had the problem on Wenesday the temps were around 50-65 degrees. So deffiently not ice. When I move the wheel back and forth I can keep the air pressure at 0 and of course you can feel that it is not as easy to move. But as soon as a stop moving it builds back up then it's smooth again until I keep moving the wheel and get the air pressure to 0 again.

If I just do a quick pull in either direction it drops to like 40-60 then I do it again 0. Then it builds from 0 back to 120 in probably like 10 seconds