• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Low Air Buzzer While Steering

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Navo, I have had the same problems as you with my A3. I've also experienced the same problems AceHigh mentioned. If the problem is the valve AceHigh mentioned, hitting it with a rubber hammer is not adequate. You need to really whack it with steel. At least that's what mine takes when it sticks. when mine sticks, the pressure on the gauge stays at zero, but the pressure-relief valve starts dumping air. This valve is designed to prioritize air pressure to the brakes in the event of a major air leak, such as the air assisted steering failing. A few quick whacks with a hammer or wrench will cause mine to release. The other issue I've had with mine is with the steering. If you look at the actuator, there are two exhause lines that merge into one line that dumps air when the steering wheel is returned to neutral. Disconnect both exhause lines. Have someone try to turn the steering wheel until the low air pressure buzzer sounds. If the seals are leaking, you will see air escaping from one of the exhaust lines. In my case, I have had both problems. To try to fix leaking air seals in the cylinder, I jacked up the front of the truck so that I could easily cycle the steering wheel back and forth from left to right lock and back again. I disconnected the air input line to the steering system and squirted a few ml of air tool oil into the system. I then hooked up the air lines and started cycling the steering wheel from lock to lock, dozens of times. I saw an almost immediate improvement and the problem eventually completely went away after months of driving. The only problem now is that I still have to whack that priority valve way too often. I haven't been able to find a replacement.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, I owe you one! I've been looking for that valve for a long time. I called Erik several months ago and he said he didn't have any.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Where is yours located at? Most of the ones I have seen are on the firewall next to a T fitting over the motor.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is yours located at? Most of the ones I have seen are on the firewall next to a T fitting over the motor.
Mine is located on the passenger side air tank facing the outside of the truck but up near the top. Fairly easy to get to when you need to bang on it. I'll have to see how easy it is to replace.

Navo

So the link that gimp posted is to the valve that is next to the air tank under the truck correct? If so, I'm gonna order one. I will have to post a picture of the one on my truck. This looks different? Maybe it's just me

Navo

Also thanks a lot Glcaines!! I'm gonna order that part listed above, and beat the crap out of the one currently on the truck. I'll also do the MM oil and let you all know how it goes. Thanks a bunch for all you guys input!!!!

AceHigh

Thanks Gary and Gimp! I spent a lot of time trying to figure this thing out when it happened to me. In addition to all the air tool oil in the air assist, I replaced the air regulator at the compressor and spent hours guessing and trying stuff.

Wish I could have figured out the $25 valve first thing! "It takes a village to own a truck"

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Navo, you are correct. My valve looks a little different from the one at Erik's. I'm going to call Erik today and make sure it will fit the A3. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Navo, you are correct. My valve looks a little different from the one at Erik's. I'm going to call Erik today and make sure it will fit the A3. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
I just got off the telephone with Erik. The pressure protection valve Gimpy found for sale at Erik's is definitely the one that fits the M35A3, according to Erik. it is a slightly different design, but is the current replacement. Looking at the one on my A3, I believe it will be a simple task to replace it. http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/prprva28pr.html . Erik told me that he has many in stock.

rolling18

I would like to piggy back on this thread with a SIMILAR problem.. only difference is I have a A2 with the aio-o-matic retrofit.
when starting for the day, builds pressure to 60lbs, bleeds off through vent on underside of drag link, builds up again bleeds off rinse and repeat cycle.. regardless of how much you steer or accelerate.

the odd part is. after driving if for awhile, it will suddenly let it build to 120 and STAY there!! and operate normally.

few days later, same thing happens. (I used to have the black aluminum regulator you mount up front in the frame but removed it.. no effect.

the drag link itself feels pretty loose and the seam toward the front with all the screws is loose BUT does not loose air when pressurized.
thoughts??

maybe this will help OP also..?:

Navo

I find all info helpful and hopefully it can help other later. I have not time to troubleshoot my truck. But when I do, Im gonna replace that air valve that was mentioned on this thread and also add mystery oil to the air assist cylinder.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to piggy back on this thread with a SIMILAR problem.. only difference is I have a A2 with the aio-o-matic retrofit.
when starting for the day, builds pressure to 60lbs, bleeds off through vent on underside of drag link, builds up again bleeds off rinse and repeat cycle.. regardless of how much you steer or accelerate. the odd part is. after driving if for awhile, it will suddenly let it build to 120 and STAY there!! and operate normally. few days later, same thing happens. (I used to have the black aluminum regulator you mount up front in the frame but removed it.. no effect. the drag link itself feels pretty loose and the seam toward the front with all the screws is loose BUT does not loose air when pressurized.
thoughts?? maybe this will help OP also..?:

Unfortunately, a lot of those air-o-matic units have been sitting around in storage for years before used and the seals dry out and potentially leak. I would recommend pulling the high-pressure air inlet for the system and put in a few ml of air tool oil and exercise the steering lock to lock repeatedly with the front end off the ground. Hopefully, this will rejuvenate the seals.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a thread located here on where to add Marvel Mystery Oil http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?34591-M35A3-Owners-unite/page47 Do I need to disconnect any air lines or close any valves? Do I add the oil then reconnect the lines and steer back and forth? Or do I leave the lines disconnected and steer back and forth?
You need to completely empty the air tanks first. You disconnect the air inlet line to the steering system and put the oil in there. Reconnect the line and re-start the engine. After tanks are full pressure, turn the wheel lock to lock over and over, with the front end off the ground. Hopefully, this will help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks