• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3/M36A3 In cab heater

Crazyguyla

every m44, m800, m900 series trucks i've driven or ridden in had a sticker that said, "open dampers before operating heaters" i thought that ment the vents on both sides of the truck by near the floor. that would solve the fresh air requierment ;)

Marcus

Boatcarpenter

I'm already working on a way to mount the firewall elbow with the flapper valve in it that came with the heater kit on the passenger side kick panel vent so that I can open the vent and then control the amount of outside air that I can let in right at the heater blower intake. That way I can let in some all the time and vary the amount depending on the outside temp.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on th winter driving I have done, defrosting the windshield is the number one use of the heater. The firewall gets plenty hot after a short time and keeps you warm.

Boatcarpenter

CT, you are absolutely right. Part of the reason I'm trying this install is to maximize heat, especially defrost. I figured that with the heater mounted in the usual place there would be significant line and temperature loss by the time heat got to the passenger windshield. Also, I figured if it works, it would make working on the drivers' side of the engine VERY much easier. Time will tell. It's an interesting project and I'm enjoying doing it.

yeager1

Part of the reason I'm trying this install is to maximize heat, especially defrost
This may not be appealing to everybody, but one great way to maximize your defrost is to disconnect the rather poor stock system and install an aftermarket electric rear-window defrost system on the windshield. You will have those thin lines running across the windshield, but your now heated windshield will never fog up and you won't ever have to scrap it again. I did this for a friend on his scout and he loved it! You didn't really even notice the lines while driving. (He had been starring at a broken windsheild for 2 years, so he knew those little lines wouldn't bother him :) )

Boatcarpenter

Does anyone know if the horn breaker is beefy enough to handle the heater running through it until I can get a dedicated breaker for the heater. I didn't get one with my kit. Or should I find an inline fuse to handle it until I get a proper breaker?
Thanks for any pointers.
BC

Desert Rat

BC,

Where you put the heater is where I'm putting my A/C unit for 'Storm. Funny how great minds think alike!!!!!!

Boatcarpenter

DR,

I'm surprised you're putting A/C in, I thought you liked it hot :) You sure never miss a chance to let us guys in the cold climates know how warm you are down there!!!!!!!!

DrFoster

If you want an even more compact and hotter unit, try the rear heaters for toyota landcruisers (76-79 models). There are several other companies that make these for jeeps too. I would suggest to look at man-a-fre for the heater if you have any interest.

DrFoster

oops-- forgot to include how easy these are to hook up... 12vdc on a three-way switch for the internal fan (low-high-off) and 2 coolant lines. It's about 6x8x6 in size and mounts almost anywhere. I'm going to be installing one in the back for hunting season.

Boatcarpenter

Fresh Air

Right now it just comes in through all the leaks into the cab, but I am working on a way to get what I need in through the vent flap on the passenger side. Went for about a 20 mile ride the other day and no problem with recirculating cab air. In fact so warm in cab I had the windows cracked.

mangus580

Wallew, I 'read' the copper line to be an extension of the compressed air line... so it was still accesible....

Boat, I figured that was the case for now...

why not make a manifold that fits over that vent? and maybe put a door in it to allow air direct into the cab as well? Know what i mean?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks