• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

R Racing

I have seen a few recently in the $5000 - $9000 range. Also please state what state and town your in. Its in the rules you agreed to ! And welcome to the forum !! :)

R Racing

I have both a M35A3 and several 5 tons. The M35A3 is nice ( I even installed AC in mine) It does have a limited top speed. And the Air assist steering is better than non. But no were near power steering of the 5 tons. The A3s are also a bit under powered . ( I took mine to CAT to get it turned up) . It is a good driving truck. The CTIS is a hit or miss. I'm getting ready to remove mine. I'm getting tired of cracked side walls from the tires going flat. I honestly like the my M925A1 ands M932A1 better to drive than my A3. But im not selling it anytime soon.

Hoefler

bats are good cleaned all contacts involved turn the on switch buzzer comes on all gauges read proper turn the start switch nothing
I had a similar problem.
Mine was inside the solenoid. There is a large copper washer-disc. The surface can get pretty rough and inhibit the starter from starting. I took mine apart and found mine to be very rough. I flipped it over to the fresh backside. Put it back together and installed in truck.
Puuurfect.
Pete

Timberwolf22

Was driving the M35a3 home from Sussex NJ MV Rally and while going down PA RT100 truck just dies.... lights go out everything is dead, engine shuts down so since it is after 8PM the lights are an issue for sure so I just coast over to the side of the road.

I am well off the road so no safety concern and I figured = electrical issue since I have no power.... sure enough after finding my flashlight and getting into the battery box the cable that connects the two 12V batteries into a single 24V system has come loose. I yell at myself and my poor PMCS skills connect back up the batteries, everything starts right back up and I let her idle for 10 minutes to make sure that there are no issues with the electrical system since I really did not know how long I had two separate batteries 1/2 connected to the truck.

Then I drive an hour home without issue but that brings me to my question in the post.... I am not surprised I lost headlights or everything electrical for that matter what I am still struggling with is why did the Cat 3116 engine die? I did not think my diesel needed anything electrical once running..... oxygen and compression once started I always hear about the diesel but I found out different on the road and I am looking for some insight on ..... why.

Note:
I bring the M35a3 indoors for numerous gun shows as a static display and they always require I disconnect all of my battery cables...... apparently just did not get the small cable torqued down enough not to rattle free on the long drive.

Thanks

Last edited:

DrillerSurplus

- - -
I am not surprised I lost headlights or everything electrical for that matter what I am still struggling with is why did the Cat 3116 engine die? I did not think my diesel needed anything electrical once running..... oxygen and compression once started I always hear about the diesel but I found out different on the road and I am looking for some insight on ..... why.

Thanks
Many diesels have a fuel shut off solenoid that needs voltage to open & allow fuel through. They close to shut fuel off if there is no voltage coming to them. I can't say for sure the M35A3 is set up this way, but i'd bet it is.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many diesels have a fuel shut off solenoid that needs voltage to open & allow fuel through. They close to shut fuel off if there is no voltage coming to them. I can't say for sure the M35A3 is set up this way, but i'd bet it is.
Driller is spot on. The A3 has an electrical fuel shutoff, the "T" handle is for emergency shutoff in the event the elect. S/O fails in the open position. The A2 deuce has the manual "T" shutoff. The multi fuel will continue to run even without electrical power to the engine.

Timberwolf22

Thanks for the info guys..... I suspected there must be a electrical cutoff outside the engine.... makes sense it is fuel related because the moment the lights went out ... so did the engine.

Lack of fuel would do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks