• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

gijoe

Got my first a3 well a pair of them and i need to sell one when i get the fuel problem fixed. The fuel was rotten in the bottom of the tank, another guy that was in the military said he thought it was jp8 because of the varnish it left behind. Any body else add to this?

gijoe

The beast arrived just a few minutes ago! I live in San Diego and won the auction in Sparta, Wisconsin. I arranged transport through Hotshot Transportation (Eric), who found me a transport for $3000.00. The trip was a little over 2000 miles. It was picked up last Friday and took three days to get here. Just drove it for the first time. Amazed at how much more quiet this truck is compared to the Alpha 2. There is no "park" setting! Starts up immediately, but gotta run it to see why the air buzzer is not going off. I didnt run it but to park it. Truck looks nice and will be painted soon!
You had some good looking a3s that sold in ca, the matter of fact i always see nice things out there 2000 miles closer too. I wish I could trade for what is forsale out there. Good luck with your new A3, i got mine from sparta also.

mktopside

Banned
Got my first a3 well a pair of them and i need to sell one when i get the fuel problem fixed. The fuel was rotten in the bottom of the tank, another guy that was in the military said he thought it was jp8 because of the varnish it left behind. Any body else add to this?
Does it not run?

gijoe

Throw some seafoam in the tank and some fresh fuel.;-)
No it does not run. It only runs on starting fluid. I cleaned out at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of tar like stuff out of the bottom with a scrapper. cleaned the lines, new filter, new fuel, cleaned check valves, pumped up with aux pump fuel to injection pump. And by the way this was a "drove on lot" truck from sparta.

Open for more ideas?? :confused:

mktopside

Banned
No it does not run. It only runs on starting fluid. I cleaned out at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of tar like stuff out of the bottom with a scrapper. cleaned the lines, new filter, new fuel, cleaned check valves, pumped up with aux pump fuel to injection pump. And by the way this was a "drove on lot" truck from sparta.

Open for more ideas?? :confused:
When you crank it do you have white smoke coming out the exhaust? Indicating that some fuel is making it through?

I would think it would be pretty hard for sludge to get past a 2 micron filter. I would think the engine would shut off long before any appreciable sludge made it up to the injectors.

gijoe

No smoke coming out of ex. sludge and varnish clear up to including the lift pump on the front of the inj. pump. We are trying to get the little valve in the pump cleaned out at the moment, it is a guess a little check valve. This truck ran on its own up there but would not idle before it was towed here. Another nice SS guy picked it up and the other truck for me and used his tow bar and drove one and towed the other one here and he had it running just did not idle, but to much varish or sludge made its way to the pump. We don't know how much got past the pump, hopefully not much. Those injectors look like a real pain in the a$$ to remove. Not like a a2 that is easy.

mktopside

Banned
No smoke coming out of ex. sludge and varnish clear up to including the lift pump on the front of the inj. pump. We are trying to get the little valve in the pump cleaned out at the moment, it is a guess a little check valve. This truck ran on its own up there but would not idle before it was towed here. Another nice SS guy picked it up and the other truck for me and used his tow bar and drove one and towed the other one here and he had it running just did not idle, but to much varish or sludge made its way to the pump. We don't know how much got past the pump, hopefully not much. Those injectors look like a real pain in the a$$ to remove. Not like a a2 that is easy.
There is no injector pump, the 3116 uses Mechanical Unit Injectors.

I am not a Diesel tech, and I've never ripped apart a 3116, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. But, since the MUI's use oil pressure to create the pressure needed to fire the injectors, make sure you have enough oil in the engine, also make sure the oil doesn't look like crap.

I'm thinking that you are on the right track with getting it figured out. I wouldn't think all the injectors would become plugged at once..... Let's hope it's not even one that's plugged, as that is not something you can do yourself, and even replacing one injector is a really expensive job.

gijoe

It is full of oil, like new clean oil at that. The lift pump or pump or inj pump what ever you call it, till i learn more about 3116s is not pump fuel. No fuel is coming out of the return line on the front of the pump either. How does it start without building oil pressure first. I am trying to learn about this engine i guess i need to study... anybody else have any advice?

mktopside

Banned
The injectors are actuated mechanically by rockers, they will spray fuel without oil pressure, just enough to get the truck started.

Ok, so if I read your post right, your not getting fuel out if the lift pump? If not, is the pump running?

mktopside

Banned
When did you guys win yours? A good buddy of mine one an A3 last week, so whenever his EUC clears I'm going to meet him up there to help him get it ready for the trip back to NJ. Maybe we'll all run into each other!

gijoe

Woho...it finaly runs on its own and it even idles too. Thanks everybody for the help and ideas, it had a stuck valve or check valve in the pump itself. :driver:again! :-D

EXITNOONE

ALLISON 1545 TRANSMISSION TEMP RANGE

post your transmission temp range and the type of fluid you are using so we can establish a real world transmission temp range and fluid comparison for our A3's.

FLUID- TRANSYND

TEMP- 250 - 275º

DRIVING CONDITIONS- CITY TRAFFIC STOP & GO

camp9

Just put a hard pull on the A3 today. Temp never went over 200f. Most of the time when it's empty it runs about 175f to 190f. I've never changed it over from Military use, so guessing it must be the 15-40wt. I find if I run the RPM's low it runs hotter, even the engine temp. runs hotter. Put the foot to the floor and it runs great and cool.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been worried a bit about my temp. Mine runs around 270 to 275 around town. I am 2/3rds of the way through changing to DEX III.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks