• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

camp9

I would think it's a lot hotter in AZ compared to MI. Anyone on here that ran them in Iraq? Wonder what the temp would of run on them over there?

Last edited:

goodguyzy

ran mine through the desert back from Vegas, it seemed to never get hotter than 225. Also ran the other one flat towing another deuce up a 2500 foot incline at 15 mph, same 225 limit. still have the 15w-40

EXITNOONE

THE TM SAYS... 160 - 300º is normal temp range... but i'd rather be around 200º if possible.

according to everything i 've read, transynd is supposed to offer higher performance, and is recommended by allison, but so far, i'm not at all impressed with the 275º running temperature and the expensive as $%&# transynd flush i did.

my cold start/run level seems good. i'll double check the hot run levels.
no blockage in the trans cooler radiator. no leaking.
i also have the shallow pan... wondering if any of you guys have deep pans ??

in addition to stop & go traffic, i probably ran 55mph for 20 minutes, and was in the 260º range steady,
while on the freeway.

just like CAMP9 mentions, it seems idling the A3 or running at lower speeds causes the temps to rise.
that would make sense with less air flow over the radiator.

i also noticed if i run my A3 hard, and then let it go through it's 5 minute cool down idle for the turbo charger,
i'm getting some very light smoke out of the breather tube that runs down
on the driver side of the engine in front of the ether can... can anybody tell me what that tube actually is ?

LONEGUNMAN- you always have good insight on the A3's. if my trans still runs around 275º during winter,
i'll switch to DEX...

EXITNOONE

PLEASE IDENTIFY THIS PART....

it's mounted on the driver side louver panel next to the air horn.

it has a wire that runs to the air horn. it also has a pin connector.

i noticed that the mounts on mine are cracked and upon a little closer inspection, the unit fell off the louver panel.
since the mounting screws go through plastic tabs, i'm trying jb weld to see if i can mickey mouse it back to normal...

Attachments

EXITNOONE

MKTOPSIDE- thanks for the heads up.... very curious that the air horn solenoid draws power from it ... but i guess if the electrical wasn't wired like it is by the military, we wouldn't have as much fun chasing gremlins down.

CAMP9- you'll save a ton of $$$ that way in fluid costs. some threads however, say motor oil eats the seals in the allisons. have you noticed anything like that ??

mktopside

Banned
MKTOPSIDE- thanks for the heads up.... very curious that the air horn solenoid draws power from it ... but i guess if the electrical wasn't wired like it is by the military, we wouldn't have as much fun chasing gremlins down.

CAMP9- you'll save a ton of $$$ that way in fluid costs. some threads however, say motor oil eats the seals in the allisons. have you noticed anything like that ??
Buy a couple of them from Ericks, they are only like $35/ea. They fail frequently.

Why anyone would continue to use 15w40 is beyond me. It is well known that modern 15w40 is too harsh for our tranmissions; and DexIII is on the list of approved fluids by allision. Combine that with the fantastic results some people have had from switching over.... and it's really a no brainer.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why anyone would continue to use 15w40 is beyond me. It is well known that modern 15w40 is too harsh for our tranmissions; and DexIII is on the list of approved fluids by allision. Combine that with the fantastic results some people have had from switching over.... and it's really a no brainer.
Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! Dexron III = major improvement!

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m35a3 read about people wanting to change out allison auto to 2000mod for more mph or add overdrive gearbox all 2 much time money why not change axle gears std are 6.72 oemaxle.net has 4.90 bang job done
That bang job on three axles + parts and labor $4,800.00. Spicer 7 speed with 29 percent overdrive is what i am looking at.

camp9

[B said:
CAMP9[/B]- you'll save a ton of $$$ that way in fluid costs. some threads however, say motor oil eats the seals in the allisons. have you noticed anything like that ??
Haven't seen any leaking. I have a lot of years around big equipment, and the motor oil dosen't scare me at all. I'll never put a 100,000 miles on it and as long as it's clean and moisture free that transmission will last me a lifetime. :-D

waterguy

Great idea! I have a 1996 M35A3 and i love it! No issues at all with the CTIS system. There was a question about the transmission..I thought my gauge was broken until I drove it on a 100 mile trip. It finally came up to some where in the middle........I will watch it and let ya"ll know what normal is.

EXITNOONE

WATERGUY- now that is some really interesting feedback...

i'm already starting to suspect the gauges are not as reliable as we'd like them to be.

this is the main reason i'm getting a lazer thermometer. if we can measure the pan & hoses, we should get a better idea of what's going on... maybe even draw the dipstick with engine on & measure it immediately at the tip where circulating fluid would be

Docuscg

Count me in on the New A# 3 Forum boys, Pick up my A3 about 6 monhs ago. Drove it home 300 miles ,and man ---what a nice truck! Still have to change fluids and all, but in time, only a few things to fix, then a new camo paint job. My s/n # is 500705.

EXITNOONE

DOCUSG- WELCOME TO THE CLUB.... there will only ever be about 5,500 of us.

any feedback on what your average running temp was on your transmission during the drive ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks