• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

motomacguyver

Mine had an intermittent short in the fuel cut off switch, some times it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't. But it would run on ether. I found the problem by accident, by wiggling the wires behind the switch when it was running, and it stopped. Replaced the switch and all is well.

EXITNOONE

REGISTERING IN CALIFORNIA ???:

for A3 guys who've registered theirs' in california...

does your A3 title list the 6 digit vin number 50XXXX and nothing else as your vin ???

the chp inspection office in wesminster, ca is trying to convince me that my 1993 A3
( which has a 1967 frame ) can only be registered with a vin # that corresponds to the original 1967 A2 build.

i've called erik at erik's military surplus in escondido, ca and asked him to back me up,
because the particular chp inspector i had, has requested more information from other sources.
for some reason, the inspection officer doesn't believe that when am general clearly stamps 50XXXX in the frame
and in the identification plate inside the cab, that it's actually official. nor does my actual military log book,
which has 50XXXX written on it's cover count as real either. and lastly, the chp inspection officer
doesn't believe the vin title correction letter which i got from the maryland motor vehicle administration,
and which is printed clearly on maryland mva official letterhead.

sure, i could register my 1993 as a 1967, then get historic plates & cheaper insurance,
but then at resale time ( if i sell it ), i'll have the same headache trying to convince the next guy it's a real A3...

i can't get a copy of the sf97 from GL, or the previous owner.
so i'm trying to work around that missing evidence in my proof.

post your california registration experience or pm me if i can add you to my reference list
for the chp officer that won't take YES for an answer.

the dude reminds me of agent smith from the matrix....

EXIT

RealCavDog

I SOOOOOOO considered trying that, but all my research put my 1999 A3 with a number that read , 137ZA893_ XE 50XXXX, with the blank space being the digit I would determine after doing the math on the formula !

Spent a ton of time trying to determine an honest and acceptable 17 digit VIN, but Missouri does have an ID-OD inspection when transfering out of state, and had no intention of fabricating a complete data plate, so heres what I came up with !

The NSN number on the plate has a 01 placed between two dashes . . . drop those two digite, add your 6 digit serial number, looks very correct and is actually honest, and best of all, has the perfect 17 digits !

The Hummer idea was very tempting, as most of the placed digits I listed fit the build plant, the year, the corporation AND ! ! ! the rare 2-door cab! The only real drawback was the engine and transmission digits, though a turbo 6 cylinder automatic, far too risky for me to chance !

Just an idea for an original "Number Matching" and truthful VIN ! IMHO !

Jay

Earlier this summer my unit turned in all of our m35a3's there round 10 total. took us two weeks to leap frog em all across pa from platoon to platoon with 2 people at first then 6. unfortunately i do not remember what the temps were but it took forever. I know one in particular lost all forward gears. in any gear selection it would only go in reverse. strange since we ran it all the day previous with no problems. wound up pushing it with my truck off the road then flat towing it back till we got our lowboy. not sure how i feel about the a3's the ctis never seemed to work in any of them, but that goes for all vehicles we have with it. And i've heard many taller soldiers complain about the brake petal being too close to the steering wheel. i've taken em many places they shouldn't have gone and them some( see avatar), all in all I they were good trucks and am missing them more with the dreaded arrival of our fmtv's. Yes the military has strayed off the path there...

BadMastard

Hey all! I've got a strange one for you.

When driving my A3 on flat or mostly flat lands, nothing leaks. If I throw a hill in there, I get seepage from somewhere near the front of the oil pan. Can't tell if it's the pan or not, could be the front bearing seal, BUT I'd think that would leak all the time, and not just on the hills. Any ideas? I heard that if the slobber tube fails to open, then you can get back pressure in the pan that could do this. I don't know if that's true or not, but willing to accept opinions? Thanks!

EXITNOONE

REALCAVDOG- you provided some excellent information for the vin issue. thank you very much !!
i'll try your approach with inspection officer agent smith and see if he allows it.

MKTOPSIDE- i'll try your suggestion next... if agent smith falls for it, i'll change his name to inspection officer deputy barney fife.

BACKWOODSDRIFTER- although you didn't get transmission temps, you do have a great story on the leapfrog convoy.
it's always cool to see a military convoy on the open highways. in your case, all A3's, would have been awesome.

with the cooler weather lately, and driving at 50mph 2450-2500 rpm on freeways, my trans temp is a little cooler at 250º-280º.

it could just be that transynd is a more viscous fluid than the standard motor oil which the military uses.
the main thing is whether or not i'm in danger of burning up my gears prematurely.
if the transynd keeps me nervous, i might switch to amsoil fluids.
i've used their stuff in my older vehicles, and have never had a problem with them.

BADMASTARD- that leak a perplexing issue. if you can, you might want to try parking your A3 on an incline that matches the grade of the hills you're driving on. obviously you'll want to chock your tires to be extra careful. then you can climb under, clean the oil pan exterior, run the truck at road equivalent rpm's, or just let it sit, and see if you're able to replicate the leak & finally trace it to the source.

mktopside

Banned
I SOOOOOOO considered trying that, but all my research put my 1999 A3 with a number that read , 137ZA893_ XE 50XXXX, with the blank space being the digit I would determine after doing the math on the formula !

Spent a ton of time trying to determine an honest and acceptable 17 digit VIN, but Missouri does have an ID-OD inspection when transfering out of state, and had no intention of fabricating a complete data plate, so heres what I came up with !

The NSN number on the plate has a 01 placed between two dashes . . . drop those two digite, add your 6 digit serial number, looks very correct and is actually honest, and best of all, has the perfect 17 digits !

The Hummer idea was very tempting, as most of the placed digits I listed fit the build plant, the year, the corporation AND ! ! ! the rare 2-door cab! The only real drawback was the engine and transmission digits, though a turbo 6 cylinder automatic, far too risky for me to chance !

Jay
The VIN I referenced above reflects an "H1 Alpha" with a 6.6L turbo diesel and an allison transmission (Granted it's a duramax and not the 1545p allison...but hey). The only thing I couldn't figure out was the correct factory code, which I assume is supposed to reflect South Bend, and not where the Hummer's were built.

ETA: I forgot the weight code of 3. So it should be 137PH903 _PE 50XXXX

Check digit calculator.
http://www.alton-moore.net/vin_calculation.html

Last edited:

RealCavDog

The VIN I referenced above reflects an "H1 Alpha" with a 6.6L turbo diesel and an allison transmission (Granted it's a duramax and not the 1545p allison...but hey). The only thing I couldn't figure out was the correct factory code, which I assume is supposed to reflect South Bend, and not where the Hummer's were built.

Very Good ! That was a combo I considered as to use the Allison factor, but I just could not get past the build location issue, and the build year discrepancy ! Going with the 1999 version of the first generation H1, built at the correct plant location as opposed to the newer Alpha model, kept it very close to my needs, but having run across issues over the years with classic cars, custom built Harleys and kit cars, I could tell that plan would work in several states, but the ID-OD in Missouri would be, or could be, a factor.

Sure, I could do a new data plate, or have one of my many friends write up the inspection, but did not want to involve anybody else.

Heres the cherry on top ! GL provides a title to Missouri, not an Sf97, so I filed the request as to have my NSN based VIN on the title ! Thought that would process through much easier than the other, but if they kick it back, I may go back to the H1 plan that I spent so much time on. The key for me was the 1999 2-door cab and the plant location, after that, adding my 6 digit serial number to the mix, and doing the math to determine the "check" number digit !

When they ever go to physically inspect in the future, just refer them to the stamped "last 6" on the frame !

Choices, Choices, Choices ! :beer:

mktopside

Banned
Earlier this summer my unit turned in all of our m35a3's there round 10 total. took us two weeks to leap frog em all across pa from platoon to platoon with 2 people at first then 6. unfortunately i do not remember what the temps were but it took forever. I know one in particular lost all forward gears. in any gear selection it would only go in reverse. strange since we ran it all the day previous with no problems. wound up pushing it with my truck off the road then flat towing it back till we got our lowboy. not sure how i feel about the a3's the ctis never seemed to work in any of them, but that goes for all vehicles we have with it. And i've heard many taller soldiers complain about the brake petal being too close to the steering wheel. i've taken em many places they shouldn't have gone and them some( see avatar), all in all I they were good trucks and am missing them more with the dreaded arrival of our fmtv's. Yes the military has strayed off the path there...
Yea, I can agree with that, it's really annoying.

On the last leg it started to rain and during a construction zone some chick with a lil car slammed on her brakes! my supply Sgt hit his brakes and in a matter of seconds he was sideways caught it and brought her back! it was really impressive i could see him fighting the wheel ( soft top had been damaged- removed). never forget that i was driving the truck behind him thinking that this was gonna git bad... so just watch out at speed on wet roads. all ours went to Chambersburg anybody pick one up from there?

CanonNinja

newbie A3 owner here, and discovering all the lovely quirks this truck has, but i love it anyway.

Death wobble to the max here, i thought my truck was going to do a tap dance at 45mph.... turns out the jackhole i bought the truck from had air pressures all over the map, 70 in one tire, 15 in the next, 25psi diff on the fronts with one wheel missing the counter weight, etc. I think I got had on a truck that the original owner had some serious buyer's remorse, and decided to krylon the truck to hide some issues, and didnt know his butthole from a hole in the ground. oh wells, its still a mostly solid truck.

Now, I need to find the rest of the windshield washer kit, find a air filter gauge to replace the non-existent one, track down a transfer case air leak, fix this CTIS nonsense, do some cab rust prevention, and service the filters/fluids/air dryer. Atleast it was only a 150 mile recovery, and close enough to the price I wanted to pay.

ETA: Need to find a new "Approved Fuels" and ESP data plates if possible.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you service the filters ,check to see if the previous owner changed the motor oil in the transmission. I just replaced the fluid in mine with dextron III and it drives like a different truck.

CanonNinja

well looks like i got hit by the fuel system gremlins.... started and ran fine, as soon as i started driving, by the 2-3 shift white/blue smoke and no power, and now a no-start situation... time to check the filter and check valve. :x

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, I need to find the rest of the windshield washer kit, find a air filter gauge to replace the non-existent one, track down a transfer case air leak, fix this CTIS nonsense, do some cab rust prevention, and service the filters/fluids/air dryer. Atleast it was only a 150 mile recovery, and close enough to the price I wanted to pay.QUOTE]

Saturn Surplus should have the washer and air filter gauge. Do a search on ebay for M35A3 you should get all the CTIS stuff you need.

CanonNinja

i love this site..... had a no start/no run issue, checked the fuel filter AND the tank check valve, both were gummed up like no one's business.... had a little road-side wrenching session, and 20min later back down the road. fat lady sings

lib7676

Cargo cover and bows

Hey guys, we did away with the CTIS on our truck so I have 7 valves, covers and counter weights if anyone is interested. We also have cargo cover and troop seats both in good condition. Send me an email if interested.
Hi say do you still have the cargo cover and bows ? Let me know thanks

RealCavDog

Jay
Well, The NSN idea I considered worked, kinda' ! :jumpin:

The Arizona title from Arizona GL only had the 6 digits, I took it to be inspected, and pointed out the data plate, explained the dropping of the -01-, the military and gooberment mentality, explained the 17 digit need for insurance and titling in Missouri, and got an inspection sticker and slip.

Next to the Revenue office, submitted all GL paperwork, explained use of "last 6" only per model type, checked with state, and ran 11 digit NSN + 6 digit serial, making 17 total digit number through new 50 state verification system, no such VIN listed elsewhere, approved . . .

New Missouri title issued, 1 front tag only required as titled as 18K, beyond local plates, and the rest will be finished when new personalized U.S. Army logoed plates are approved and recieved ! Not available to 24K, but 18K will be unlikely anyway, so that would be the ONLY variable, and rare to say the least !

No short cuts on weight or mileage limits, no historic as it is a 1999, no cheating on insurance, a bit more expensive, but TOTALLY LEGAL, with no gray areas to ponder or worry about, no doubt I am fully covered by my insurance, and that ties in to my life insurance by the way, indirectly, so NO WORRIES ! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks