• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 RUNS but still need parts/help

Monkeyboyarmy

I finally made time to head to Tenessee to check out my A3 that M16ty hauled for me.It is in better shape than I expected.Body is just about perfect.Even has the fiberglass hood :-D.Found a couple of other parts missing as usual.With help from Ty and his dad (realy good folks),we had the Cat purring in just a couple of hours.I would like to say that no animals were harmed in the process but one of the two birds that flew out of the exhaust didn't make it.Go ahead and prove that it was alive when it came out :p. Found out the messy way that there was no tranny dipstick.SO,A3'rs,I NEED HELP!.I need a tranny dipstick or dimensions of the length so that I can properly check fluid level.I'll post some pictures and more details when I get a chance.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting it running! If you get the s/n off the trans, you should be able to order one from Allison.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With regard to Allison/ordering the dipstick, it may work or it may not. I needed a dipstick and tube for my M925A2 (I had one on there, but it was the wrong one). I took the truck to Allison and they had to have one fabricated. They told me that this was a military only part that they did not stock. Maybe you will have better luck with the A3 transmission.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a better chance of winning the lotto that getting parts from AMG.... They catagorically hate MV'ers and their MIL trucks that made it to civy hands, all thanks to the USMC's "auction" in the late 90's of the M998's...

Monkeyboyarmy

I hear ya emmado.I thought that I would try a deep "drill sergeant" voice but they have probably heard all of the tricks.:-D Here are some before pictures.One is of Ty's M715.Very nice truck.

Attachments

Sumoman

I hear ya emmado.I thought that I would try a deep "drill sergeant" voice but they have probably heard all of the tricks.:-D Here are some before pictures.One is of Ty's M715.Very nice truck.
Nice truck... hate to see the occupant all sprawled out dead, but if he's going to go out its better by a A3 then a KIA:-D

Monkeyboyarmy

I really like the looks ( kind of between my 923 and 915) and all of the luxury items.And to finally have a duece with no rust holes....Even though I only have about 1/2 miles on it,I wasn't impressed with the steering or the brakes.The steering seemed to have too much play in it in order work the valving for the power assist.The brakes were stiff and all of a sudden would engage.I realize that the drums are probably all rusted and the truck has been sitting.

Bill there's 8 or 10 on GL now.( I can say that cus I can't afford another one right now)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rofl I didn't know you got a pic of the dead bird.

I forgot to get the S/N today. Truthfully, I thought about it at one time but it was pouring down rain but after the rain stopped I forgot about it. I'll try and remember tomorrow and get it to you.

Monkeyboyarmy

Not a problem Ty.Any time.

So here is the story.I ran down to Memphis to drop off a propeller for a customer.(Skip Stewart Airshows).Made it to Ty's by early afternoon Sunday.First step was swapping the batteries out.Cranked over great.No smoke out of the pipe.So no fuel.So we removed the return line from the fuel tank and added air pressure to the tank.Just got a few dribbles of fuel from the filter.Started pulling fuel lines off and checking for fuel flow.We got fuel up to the fuel pump of the engine (small piston pump).So we tried air pressure and turning the engine over to run the pump.(air pressure also opened up a fuel leak on the bottom of the tank.See pictures)Still no fuel.Started checking the series of check valves in the system.Found some debris in the piston pump check valve.Cleaned all 3 valves and the piston and re-assembled.Added air pressure and cranked the engine.Finally got the pump to move fuel.(One of the biggest problems of this system is there is no fuel filter between the tank and the engine pump.But there will be!) Hooked up all of the lines and cranked her again.Found an open line that was supposed to have a pressure switch that apparently broke off.Plugged that line and tried again.Finally got fuel to the filter which is just before the injectors.So this was it.I removed the air cleaner cap and stood on the fender just in case the engine would run away and had Ty crank it.It didn't seem to be getting fuel so we gave it a snort of ether.She fired a couple of times and roared to life,removing the birds from the exhaust pipe.Let the truck run and looked for other issues.Found a disconnected air line to the ctis and a puddle of oil under the trans.Shut her down to find out that the dipstick was missing.(REASON FOR THIS THREAD,HINT,HINT) I knew attempting to drive it 600 miles was out of the question so I decided to bolt on parts and fix as many things as possible to get it ready for next time.

First got the mirrors back into shape with new threaded rods.Then added wiper arms and blades.(Again notice the fiberglass hood :-D)Then added the new push button light switch and turn signal switch.Then a pair of headlights.After doing some checks and rigging up an alternator mount(some trees may have been harmed in this process),I decided to go for a spin.Drove around the parking lot a couple of times and went out on the road.First gear...good,second gear...good,third gear? I start smelling hot trans fluid.I decide to turn around.I stopped to turn around in a driveway and the truck quits.Ohh s**t.No cell phone,no plates,etc. etc.. But popped it back in neutral and she fired right back up.Turned around and went back.I noticed another puddle of oil in the road.I guess my rag blew out of the dipstick tube.:oops:Drove back and finished up what I could before the rain.Installed a new canvas top (I would have used vinyl but canvas is all I had "in stock") and drained and removed the fuel tank.By time I cleaned up my mess,it was 11:00.Spent the night just north of Nashville and drove home on Monday.I need to adjust my alternator mount that I fabbed up,weld up the tank and find a TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK and I'll be back.Hope that the trans is OK.So far,I love the engine,seat,wipers,heater,tires and wheels but am not fond of the steering and brakes yet.More to come.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the water pump belt? Did you find the missing tensioner? I remember us looking at it but didn't see you come up with anything. Just want to make sure you didn't forget about it :wink:.