• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wheel

PWM

I have done numerous searches but could not find anything. Does ne know the backspacing of the M35A3 wheel, I looks to me like 8 or 9 inches. I want to put the Michelin 14.5 R 20 single tires on my deuce but I don’t want the treat to extend past the front fenders, I want the same look as the M35A3. Looking at wheel manufactures I could only find Accuride wheels that makes a 10x 20 inch bolt together wheel but only in 10 hole not 6 hole.

Next question, has anyone bought any wheels from Stockton Wheel, their website shows a one piece wheel they make that will fit the deuce and at any backspacing. If their wheels aren’t too expensive I think that is the way I will go.

Thanks Pete

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't forget that the M35A3 wheels are 20"x11". I am curios about the backspacing too. Also the M35A3 had different hubs to allow for the central air system. I wonder if there was any spacing changes on these. USA6x6 makes 10"x20" beadlock wheels.

breelanr

The most backspacing available with the 20x10 wheels from USA6x6 is 7 inches. This leaves about 2 inches of tire past the fender in front and is even with the outside of the rear mud flaps with 14.5R20's installed. I have a set of A3 wheels on the way, but it will be several weeks until I get them. I'll post measurements once they arrive.

Attachments

breelanr

Thanks. The truck handles well with them, offroad traction and stability is vastly superior to the NDCCs. I think the 14.5R20s and singles may be the best thing the A3 brought to the table except for possibly the Air-o-matic.

breelanr

The road manners are good. They track straight and don't wander. You will notice the lugs when crawling (1-3 mph) on pavement, the truck will have a distinct up/down motion - this smooths out completely once you get rolling. There is a howl from the tires at speed, but you really can't hear it in the truck. The tread wear seems to be better than the NDCCs, I have measured about 1/32nd inch of wear per 1000 miles on the front and forward/rear tires. The rear/rear axle is my drive and wears 2-3 times as fast. I run 55psi front, 35psi rear (without a load). The steering requires a little more effort, but actually feels more precise on the highway.

PWM

Ray your truck looks great, any information would be appreciated. Unless I forgot my math a 9 inch backspace should put the tire about even with the fender, if a 7 inch backspace puts the tire 2 inches past. I like the idea of being able to take the wheels apart in the field but I think I can live with one piece wheels. Mounting should be easy for my local truck shop and should not have any problems with leaks. In the next few weeks I will contact Stockton wheel and get a quote for 7 wheels. I will let you all know what I find out. Hopefully I wont have to mortgage the house to get them, shipping is going to be the killer.

Thanks Pete.

breelanr

Pete,
I agree with your math - 9 inch backspace will align the front tires with the fender and will leave you about 4 inches from the edge of the bed in the rear. I originally thought I'd get excessive splash-back from the tires extending past the fender, (it's terrible with my Wrangler) but has not been a problem, even with all of the recent snow melt.

I could see taking combat rims apart in the field, but taking the USA6x6 wheels apart...I'd carry a second spare.

Ethan,
Several other angles...

Attachments

breelanr

The A3 wheels were installed on a M109 I bought on GL.

With the front and forward/rear axle disconnected I saw about a 1 mpg increase during highway driving. I average 9.4 with the '82 but the IP is turned up on that truck. I have gotten 12.2 with my '66 disconnected and no load, but it has a fresh motor and depot IP settings.

Attachments

breelanr

YankeeDuece said:
Will a 14.50R20 spare fit in the normal spot w/14.50's mounted on the truck?
Yes...If mounted on an A3 wheel. The backspace on a USA6x6 wheel is not enough to allow the tire to bolt-up without hitting the tire-jack handle.

It is a tight fit with an A3 wheel, the tire diameter just makes it.
I plan to put mine in the bed like they are in the 5-tons.

Attachments

PWM

Well I got a quote back from Stockton wheel for the 10x20 with 9 inches of backspacing. $395 per wheel, no way I can afford that and then pay for shipping. I will have to figure something else out.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ray thanks for posting those pics of your truck. I like that size of tire on the M35. Much larger seams to just be too big except on a 5ton.

Here are some pics I took of A3 rims/tire on a A3.

Attachments

breelanr

builder77 said:
Ray thanks for posting those pics of your truck. I like that size of tire on the M35. Much larger seams to just be too big except on a 5ton.

Here are some pics I took of A3 rims/tire on a A3.
Ethan,
I really thought about running 46" (385 95R20) tires, then changed to the 44" (14.5R20) for these reasons:

1. The Deuce lacks power already - the larger the tire, the greater the additional power loss. Running 44" tires seemed to be a good balance.

2. Limited upward suspension travel with 46" tires. I can stuff a 44" in the rear and just make contact with the bottom of the bed.

3. 11.00-20s are almost the same height as the 14.5R20s. You can use a 5-ton speedo adapter and have a fairly accurate speedometer.