• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wheel

PWM

Yorkgulch2 what backspacing did you order and about how much is the shipping? USA 6x6 wheels don’t have enough backspacing, I want 9 to 10", and Boyce is within driving distance.

If I hade some more precision tools I would make some wheels like gringeltaube posted, I think those look better than the stock M35A3 wheel.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
gringeltaube I have to say I love what you did with those rims. I have read and reread your older posts on how you did those rims, and it still escapes me how you made it all work. I wish my lathe was big enough to handle something that size.

tbrenner

gringeltaube, those look realy nice. You have any more info on how you made them? More Pics? Thanks

(edit)
Never mind, didn't notice you already had a post on that.

yorkgulch2

gringeltaube I hope the wheels I ordered look that great.

PWN Both stazworks and usa6x6 prefer a 6 inch backspacing on a 10 inch wheel but said they could do 7 I asked for 6 because I have 395/85-20s and want room for the front wheels to turn fully or close to it with chains.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the comments! It’s been only one year since I sold my truck but from the first day on it has been used and abused a lot, almost every day on and off road, often totally submerged in water and mud! (He's so happy he just ordered a second one, same equipment!)
Only once they had one tire punctured which could easily be fixed. Time to inspect everything and also shoot some pics of the disassembled wheel. No signs of weakness, fatigue, rust or any other reason to change anything in the design before building the next (16!) 11x20s not to far from now.
The center section of the stock wheel remains in place, so backspace is unchanged: 10.5”. Not because of clearance issues but to gain stability with a wider track I would prefer a backspace of 9 or minimum 8 inches but not less! The front axle kingpin studs and bushings tend to premature wear even with stock tires and wheels, so imagine the additional leverage of wider wheels and big and heavy meat like 14.5s or 395/85s! That’s why I still have a project to build 4” to 6”wider axle housings, without spending a fortune…! Anybody been there…???

Gerhard