• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wobble

wehring

Wobble

I chased this down on an A3 I bobbed. Here is a pic of the fix. The add 5 lug nuts opposite the CTIS weight. The center stud will have one and the two on either side will have 2 ea. There is not a lot of thread sticking out so the first layer nut you put on goes on normal but the second one goes on backwards. Use right hand twist deuce lug nuts.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

wehring

Just remimbered...

The pic cleared up my memory. The first nut in the center goes on backwards and I only needed 3 nuts. The second layer reverse nut statement still applies if 3 are not enough and you go to 5. Start with 3.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

jwaller

I might take you up on that. But first I've gotta correct the mistakes of the GL special needs employee that mounted all 6 tires in the same direction. Half the tires are directionally correct, and the other half face the other way.
GL doesn't mount tires. the military depot that last worked on the truck did this.

I also thought the tires on the A3 were NOT directional. Although they look different I thought you can run them any way you like.

mktopside

Banned
I also have the 45 mph wobble. Not there at 42, seems to smooth out if I get to 50. A local truck tire place told me who in the area can spin balance the front tires on the vehicle. I also have 2 rear tires "facing the wrong direction". They want $50 each to dismount and and remount the tires. When I'm ready I think that may be money well spent versus doing it myself.
At $50 each I'd drive it over there today!!!! That would be well worth it for me to not have to mess around with that.

mktopside

Banned
GL doesn't mount tires. the military depot that last worked on the truck did this.

I also thought the tires on the A3 were NOT directional. Although they look different I thought you can run them any way you like.
I read on here (and it happened to be from the guy I eventually bought my truck from) that at some point last year they froze the sale of A3's to "Take something out of the wheels". There is a thread on it if you look.

AceHigh

Yes, my understanding is direction is not an issue. Mine are all the same way so one side looks "forward" and the other side "back"

markmontana

The tires ARE directional and when installed correctly have solved some of the 'wobble' issue, and help a lot with tire noise. So if you're going to keep the truck, change the tire direction. Might help with tire life, too.

I picked up a real nice A3 w/6000 miles, it had the same wobble at about 45mph, random. I drove the truck from Ft McCoy to Salt Lake, and just got used to it.:roll:

wehring

well...

I think you guys are giving the Govt too much credit. Stealth tire direction to cover travel (except when you turn and kick up dirt), opposite directions for traction instead of using non directional tires, etc. I work for the govt and this is WAY to advanced...

My input? Single part number for the supply loop. One replacement part instead of two. :wink:

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

mktopside

Banned
I think you guys are giving the Govt too much credit. Stealth tire direction to cover travel (except when you turn and kick up dirt), opposite directions for traction instead of using non directional tires, etc. I work for the govt and this is WAY to advanced...

My input? Single part number for the supply loop. One replacement part instead of two. :wink:

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
They are all the same tire, someone just mounted half of them backwards.......... or all of them in the same direction when on the mounting machine.

wehring

assy

These are supplied as an assembly (tire, wheel and runflat). I realize they are the same tire but a directional tread tire assy mounted to go "forward" on the drivers side will be a different part number than one mounted to go "forward" on the passenger side. Two part numbers for two different ASSEMBLIES.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3113

mktopside

Banned
These are supplied as an assembly (tire, wheel and runflat). I realize they are the same tire but a directional tread tire assy mounted to go "forward" on the drivers side will be a different part number than one mounted to go "forward" on the passenger side. Two part numbers for two different ASSEMBLIES.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3113
Who supplies them?

Did they come mounted backwards from AM General? Did the Army replace the entire wheel and tire when they had a flat? I'm just guessing out my rear here about everything and I don't know factually if they are directional or not; I just have a hard time believing that the Army runs half the wheels backwards because thats all they could order.

Last edited:

wehring

exactly

Yes, AM General shipped them out after the A3 upgrade with half the tires running "backwards".

AM general did not do this with the M939 series of trucks and they have different part numbers for the drivers and riders side tire assys for the 1400 XL (directional) tires. The Goodyears (non directional) and the Michelin XZL (non directional) tire assys have one PN.

The Oshkosh and BAE offerings run non directional tires (mostly the XZL) so there is only 1 PN for the replacement tire assy.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

who aupplies them

Several vendors... I mostly see Hutchinson & Titan. They acquire tires from Michelin and assemble the kit and sell them as one PN.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

mktopside

Banned
Yes, AM General shipped them out after the A3 upgrade with half the tires running "backwards".

AM general did not do this with the M939 series of trucks and they have different part numbers for the drivers and riders side tire assys for the 1400 XL (directional) tires. The Goodyears (non directional) and the Michelin XZL (non directional) tire assys have one PN.

The Oshkosh and BAE offerings run non directional tires (mostly the XZL) so there is only 1 PN for the replacement tire assy.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
HAHAHAHA........ Guess that wasn't in the contract! Thanks for the clarification. :)

markmontana

I have seen many A3's where the tires weren't half right and half wrong- including my A3. Tires were randomly backwards- by moving them around, we could get them all correct except 1. That included using the spare to make it work.

What's wrong with this picture?

Attachments

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
I have seen many A3's where the tires weren't half right and half wrong- including my A3. Tires were randomly backwards- by moving them around, we could get them all correct except 1. That included using the spare to make it work.

What's wrong with this picture?
Even my spare is mounted in the same direction! aua

At least there is consistancy! :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks