• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 wobble

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing to add but I don't like the tires that are on the A3. When I get the chance I will put the 831's or something like that back on. I find myself driving on the street more than the mud and seems like every time its in the mud it cost me money one way or the outher.

mktopside

Banned
When I blew a tire going through ice I mounted the replacement one directionally correct, the one that blew was one of the ones mounted backwards. I've noticed no difference in road manners, noise, or vibration between the ways the tire is mounted.

I also need to get some new tires. All of mine have some dry rot on them, some worse than others, some look new...... but all dated 1993.

On the flip side, the tire that I blew was dry rotted the worst, but the inside looked normal when I took it off.

glcaines

i have asked this before, where is the date code on the tires?
When I picked up my A3 in Sparta, I had driven approximately 700 miles towards home, when I blew a tire in Kentucky. I had the spare mounted. There was a white Michelin sticker on the tread portion of the spare tire that had a manufacture date of 05/88. My truck is a 98 model, so this tire was 10 years old when AM General mounted it. The other tires don't have stickers on them, so I have no idea of the date. I understand that there are date codes branded on all tires, but I don't know how to read them. I do know that most of the A3 tires I've seen have Michelin XL on them. Mine has Michelin X on some of them, including the one that blew, which I think may mean they are older than XL tires.

Someone on here might know how to read the codes branded on the tires.

ApopkaFL

Banned
This is one for the Books.

Most people do not know this, BUT being a tire guy I do. There is a DOT number on the side of the tire. One side or the other, look at it and the last 2 numbers are the year the tire was made. Please advise your year. This is for a CV tires as well. So when you go buy new tires at a shop be sure to look at the DOT numbers and make sure they are not selling you a old tire.....

Rodman

glcaines

Most people do not know this, BUT being a tire guy I do. There is a DOT number on the side of the tire. One side or the other, look at it and the last 2 numbers are the year the tire was made. Please advise your year. This is for a CV tires as well. So when you go buy new tires at a shop be sure to look at the DOT numbers and make sure they are not selling you a old tire.....
Rodman
I may be crazy, but I just went out into the pouring rain to look at my tire codes.

All of the tires on my truck have 93 as the last two digits, indicating they were manufactured in 1993, including my spare which had the white sticker with a manufacture date of 05/88. It clearly stated this as the manufacture date. Unfortunately, I cannot see the year code branded on my spare because it is mounted on the carrier and I need to crawl under the truck to see it. I'll look at it tomorrow. All of my tires say Michelin X except one that is branded Michelin XL. This is a tire I bought from bigcamotruck. It also has 93 branded on it. It will be interesting to see what the last two digits are that are branded on my spare that had the white tag indicating 05/88. I have disposed of my blown tire, but I think I can still go take a look at it and check the date code on it.

KY Dave

I over inflated my a3 tires to 50lbs & it took all but a little shake out of the ride. Not a good idea on slick roads though ... Might try & see if it helps some.

mktopside

Banned

Rodman
:::cough::: BJ's, Costco :::cough:::

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks