M37 Barn Find

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Picked up a starter relay and a new ballast resistor. Even though I super glued the old one, I’m not sure trying to use it was a good idea. Installed the the new resistor with no problem. Went to install the starter relay and more difficulties. The battery cable was routed over the transmission and tucked up against the frame. Got it disconnected from the starter but I couldn’t get the cable loose enough to properly route it. Underneath, in extremely tight quarters, I traced the cable to the transmission but for whatever reason, the cable has a giant ball of electrical tape on a 90 degree bend in the cable. No idea yet what’s all about. In order to find out I have to pull the transmission cover, which is being a pain. More tomorrow. As long as the arctic air mass stays away..,
 

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Got the transmission cover removed. Removed the passenger side floor panel. This gives me a bunch more room to work. Not sure why but the previous owner’s battery/starter wiring was very confusing. So, I removed about a pound of electrical tape, which was wrapped around the cable. There was a bolt holding two lengths of cable connecting the battery to the starter. Removed bolt and set aside one of the cables. Stuck a exacto blade in my finger, bled all over the trans. Now that I’ve christened the project, hopefully it’ll be less difficult. Anyway, hooked the battery cable to the newly installed starter relay. Ran a wire from the starter solenoid to the starter relay. Had to move the voltage regulator up near the alternator to make more room for the new starter relay. Cleaned up all the excess wiring and trash to get ready for continuing it’s harness install. Pictures below. One note: I’m using the below diagram to properly hook up the entire circuit. It can’t be all that bad if I follow the book?
 

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Today I was getting the little details that I missed earlier. The brake switch needed rewiring. The two connectors were just plain nasty. I think their wires were originally used on the Titanic! New wires and connectors installed. I’ll tag them into the harness next. I think I figured out the power supply for the entire wiring harnesses and how to integrate the M-37 harness, the 1961 Dodge D200 wiring harness and the starting circuit into one cohesive harness. The power to the M-37 harness appears to be coming from the BATT terminal on the alternator. The battery plugs into the starting circuit. The rear harness is installed exactly like the M-37 diagram. The front harness gets attached to the rear on the inner fender, pax side of the cab. For the most part, everything is routed through lightening holes in the firewall. Once that’s done, I can hook up the circuit breakers, light switch, etc. bit by bit, one step at a time. No pictures tonight. I’ll try to get some pics next time I work on it.
 

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Got the wiring harness routed to the high beam floor switch. Got the brake light switch wired. Keep finding little things that need fixing. Frayed wires, incorrect connectors (my fault) and a total lack of info on how to integrate the wiring for the engine with the stock wiring.
 

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Drivers side headlamp, blackout parking marker and blackout headlamp are all wired. I’ll have to dig through my humongous stash of little bitty screws to replace several that are badly corroded. Started getting the dash panel set up. Everything is in place for next time.
Not much more left of connecting. When all that’s done I’ll install covers over sharp spots. Can’t forget to reinstall the starter!
 
Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,493
246
63
Location
Laramie County, Wyoming
Got most everything laid out and just need to do final connections. It’s been interesting getting it set up. The original connectors were the metal type. Interspersed are several of the rubber connectors and when all else failed, used the connectors you can get from Harbor Freight. Almost concerned that when I plug in the battery. Not sure if I’ll end up with a Back to the Future flux capacitor or a pile of melted wiring. Oh well, hope for the best and always have a backup in case Murphy pays a visit.
 
Top
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks