• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37: Dismount/remove cargo bed

rmvivas

In order to get non-commercial license plates for my M37 I need to demonstrate that it weighs less than 5,500 pounds.

What I would like to do is remove the bed from the frame and then drive over to the local quarry, have them weigh the vehicle and then show the weigh tag to the Department Of Motor Vehicles folks. Once thats done, they will issue passenger license plates and I will put the bad back on.

Any advice on removing the bed? The manual, which seems to usually be rather detailed and easy to follow, is rather weak on the procedure for bed removal.

Any advice or links?

majorhitt

I hope I could help. When I took my bed off I did it in pieces. I think there are six bolts that hold the bed in place. Two at the tail gate (in the bed look for two bumps about 18 -20 out from the center) In the middle just in front of the rear axle again two bumps. The two up by the cab, I can't remember if they are in the cargo area, They may be short bolts. I don't recall the bolt size, however 1/2 " rings a bell. The other channels have rubber disks, no bolt to remove. Even with all the bolts removed you may have to look at the fuel neck for a few more smaller bolts. This is from memory and at times I suffer from CRS ( can't remember squat). Also a thing to keep in mind the cargo box is going to be heavy!! If you have any six to eight foot long C channel or 1/4" 2x2 angle slide this under the bed and use this to raise it up and drive out from under the box. Again keep in mind the fuel neck. You may have to remove the filler neck and replace it after you get out from under the box. Keep us informed how you make out.

Tanner

...why do you want to cheat the system? And upon looking at the NY DMV info, you've got to get it below 5,000 lbs... What are you going to do if you get pulled later for a weight check? Is the cost for Commercial tags vs non-commercial a wallet-breaker for you?

A 2010 Suburban 1500 curbs at 5607 lbs... is a civvy-owned 'Burban tagged as commercial?

From NY DMV site: NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Vehicle Modifications and Registration Class
Modifications that Change a Vehicle Registration from Commercial Class to Passenger Class

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)). You can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements:

• The pick-up truck has an unladen weight of more than 5,000 lbs. and is used for non-commercial purposes.
  • The pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements.
  • A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.
  • The pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle.

The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle.

Dude.... just install a radio shelter in back... you comply with the seats if you have side rack & troop seats. The missing bit is a camper top... hence the suggestion of installing a shelter in back.

Frankly, I'd just pay the commercial plate rate & be done with it.

'Tanner'

armytruck63

Does New York state have a historical or collector vehicle registration? I pay like $80 per year in the great state of California for my M35A2. If I went commercial, it would be like 10 times higher.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

I doubt removing the bed is going to bring your truck below 5,000 lbs, if that is the requirement. The bed assembly only weight about 500lbs, and the manual quotes the truck at being 5,700 lbs empty w/o winch.

If it helps, there are 6 bolts holding the bed to the frame. I think four of them are forward of the rear axle, and then the remaining two are within a foot aft of the rear axle. Crawl under your truck and look for the brackets on the outside of the frame rails. Those are where the bed rails bolt to the frame. Those are the bolts you want.

Tanner

More looking shows this: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf - this is straight from NY DMV website.

Looks like this form says 5,500 lbs is your target weight unladen - then you decide on Commercial or Passenger... Pickup trucks w/ unladen weight of 5500 lbs or less, that are used as a personal vehicle, may be registered in either class. Either way, you pay Commercial Registration fee - looks like winch assy is in neighborhood of 300-ish pounds... this should leave you ~200 lbs to off from the truck.

Removing the bed doesn't make sense; it wouldn't be a pickup then. And I understand that you're trying to simply remove weight... I'd yank the Winch & front bumper assy - rear bumperettes, tailgate, troop seats, racks, running boards & brackets, empty all tool boxes, pull front driveshaft, remove the grill guards, ditch the spare tire, and cross scale with 3 gallons of fuel... and inflate the tires with Helium :mrgreen:

'Tanner'

Last edited:
For what minimal amount I can remember, I met a gentleman at a car show in NY, who had Historical plates on his M37. The plate began with a HX-00000.

I wasn't bored enough to talk registration... Anyhow, Not sure what this gains or subtracts for you, but I saw it once. :mrgreen:

WarrenD

Let me just add this thought. Assuming that you were successful at what you propose to do, what do you think your insurance company would do if the unthinkable happened? A bad accident with large insurance payout lurking? I'm betting the insurance company would be looking for any way out and this would be it. Not to mention what would happen in the event of a DMV investigation.
Finally, this type of thing isn't good for our hobby. We need to keep things proper at all times as there are going to be more and more people looking to take our green toys away.

snowdad

I agree with the poster who suggested the historical tag idea. In Tennessee, you can get an 'Antique' tag which is a one time deal of $72.00. The downside is it can only be driven to special events and on weekends. That is the route I go.
As far as the bed removal, the 2 posters above are correct. I just removed my bed. They did leave out the fuel neck though. Don't forget to undo it also.

rmvivas

...why do you want to cheat the system? And upon looking at the NY DMV info, you've got to get it below 5,000 lbs... What are you going to do if you get pulled later for a weight check? Is the cost for Commercial tags vs non-commercial a wallet-breaker for you?

From NY DMV site: NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Vehicle Modifications and Registration Class
Modifications that Change a Vehicle Registration from Commercial Class to Passenger Class

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)). You can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements:

• The pick-up truck has an unladen weight of more than 5,000 lbs. and is used for non-commercial purposes.
  • The pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements.
  • A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.
  • The pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle.
The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle.

Dude.... just install a radio shelter in back... you comply with the seats if you have side rack & troop seats. The missing bit is a camper top... hence the suggestion of installing a shelter in back.

'Tanner'
I wish I could afford a commo shelter to put in the back. The cheapest one I've seen is $850 and that did not include shipping/freight.

The problem is that where I live the major thoroughfares are off limits to vehicles with commercial license plates.

Also, the municipality here and down in The City do not allow the parking of vehicles with comercial license plates on the street during certain hours.

It was the DMV folks who sugested the bed removal route.

rmvivas

Does New York state have a historical or collector vehicle registration? I pay like $80 per year in the great state of California for my M35A2. If I went commercial, it would be like 10 times higher.
The way the DMV folks explained it to me, Historical license plates would limit the amount of driving I could do to a level below that which I had planned on.

rmvivas

More looking shows this: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf - this is straight from NY DMV website.

Looks like this form says 5,500 lbs is your target weight unladen - then you decide on Commercial or Passenger... Pickup trucks w/ unladen weight of 5500 lbs or less, that are used as a personal vehicle, may be registered in either class. Either way, you pay Commercial Registration fee - looks like winch assy is in neighborhood of 300-ish pounds... this should leave you ~200 lbs to off from the truck.

Removing the bed doesn't make sense; it wouldn't be a pickup then. And I understand that you're trying to simply remove weight... I'd yank the Winch & front bumper assy - rear bumperettes, tailgate, troop seats, racks, running boards & brackets, empty all tool boxes, pull front driveshaft, remove the grill guards, ditch the spare tire, and cross scale with 3 gallons of fuel... and inflate the tires with Helium :mrgreen:

'Tanner'
I've dismounted the non military winch.

There are custom bumpers front and back that I can not remove because they are welded on and I a) dont know how to weld (yet) and b) dont own any welding gear (yet).

The only other stuff I could strip off would be the windshield and doors and I don't think I can get away with that.

M-37Bruce

Be very careful how you interpret anything the DMV says or implies to you.
I battled w/VADMV for nearly a year. They said i procured my Historic Tags under false pretense, I did what I thought was right, the clerk issued my tags/title & I was on my way in less than 15 minutes!
That is unheard of on a normal day to day ops, one year later they were coming after me, tried to scare me with a lot of mumbo jumbo & threats of legal action. I had to go to three hearings, two in person & one as a conference call.
All is well now. rofl
BTW my Historic Tags were a one time charge of 75.00

Tanner

The challenge with Historic/Antique/etc., tags is that you typically are limited to parade use, car shows, an occasional joy ride, etc. Too restrictive for what these MV's can do & were designed to do.

To the OP, rmvivas, I'd recommend that you vacate NY... the laws are stupid. :cookoo:

But - since you can't evac NY, I'd recommend that you don't even consider windshield or door removal. Those items are pretty much required. As for someone at NY DMV suggesting a 'bed-ectomy', this is FUBAR on their part... opens you up to hassles later.

Sounds like your headed for Commercial plates/registration, driving the back roads, and avoiding The City - like I do.

'Tanner'

nattieleather

I drove to LI NY in 1996 to visit my wife who was my new love of my life back then. I live in Ohio where pickups are issued pass plates or at that time non-com plates if you didn't use the truck for comercial uses. When I got off the LIE (Lawnguyland Expressway) onto the "highways or turnpikes" I got pulled over by a cop who didn't see the non- on my non-com plate. He read me the riot act untill I got out of the truck and showed him the plates. He let me go, but what a hassle. I can feel for you. Six bolts and the gas tank fill hose and the bed comes off.

Good luck I hope you get it worked out.

jimmcld

The six bolts are not that easy to get out! They are carrage bolts and any rust on the threads means that you will round out the hole in the sheet metal, and then the bolt turns. Also, if you still have the bumperettes on the rear, you may have to remove them to get to the bolts.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you drive another vehicle onto the scale? Tell the weight master you just want a recipt of weight. No vehicle info. Then put in your own info if you need to. I have used CAT scales here in texas. The weight master will leave it blank if you tell them too.

rmvivas

Could you drive another vehicle onto the scale? Tell the weight master you just want a recipt of weight. No vehicle info. Then put in your own info if you need to. I have used CAT scales here in texas. The weight master will leave it blank if you tell them too.
While I am usually in favor of skirting silly laws, this suggestion is like tearing of the laws skirt and ploughing it like a beast in the fields.

Knowing my luck I would get nailed for filing a false instrument.

I like the way you think though!:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks