• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Driveability

Greensteel37

yes it runs it ,does not have a winch, and has been in a heated barn for like 10 years.

Well, it could go for as much as $3K, it's hard to say. Depends on how many are bidding against you.

If you want to jump into ownership with a running truck in decent shape, you'll have to pony up the cash.

Bid what you can afford and if you don't win at least you'll still have the cash to try another day on another truck.

SasquatchSanta

It's not what you have to pay for 'em it's what you have to spend on 'em.

M37s were made to keep up with the troops not traffic. The problem with the high-speed 489 gearing is it saps the power out of the little 230 engine. Before all is said and done figure $2,000.00 to install 489s. Yes, I know, the gears by themselves aren't near that expensive but before all is said and done you'll end up buying bearings, seals, front end parts, and misc other stuff on the change-out.

The 230 engine does not like extended high rpm cruising. Anything above 2,500 RPM (I don't go above 2,400) will cause the engine to want to jump out of the frame rails.

I've built three M37s and though I love the trucks I'll never build another one. It's cheaper to build a bobbed deuce. I own both and I'd much rather drive the deuce. The deuce is also more economical to drive.

Capt.Marion

When nothing else will, the M37 will start, run, and get you where you need to.

It is pretty quiet (compared to a Deuce), and the most comfortable ride out of most anything I've driven or ridden in. 45 is your top cruising speed, but if you are driving an MV you shouldn't be in a hurry anyways. With steering, etc, you need to think ahead while driving, but it ain't that bad. As for brakes, well, if your stock brake system is working like it is supposed to, it will stop just fine. But if you don't do what you need to do to keep it working right, they won't stop you very easily.

It's an MV, it's heavy, underrated in terms of capacity and pulling power, and is perfect if you are not in a hurry. It is an ideal 'stock' MV, in my opinion.

m376x6

Perhaps the best recommendation would be to find someone here on SS who lives nearby that has an M37 and ask for a test drive. Look the truck over, get a good feel for how it is built and what your opinion of it is once you have been all over it. I'm sure you're catching on quickly how everyone has a different opinion based on their ideals. That's what keeps this world fun. Good luck, in the end, you're your best authority on this subject.

Regards,
M376X6

On a side note, I have had and driven the spectrum of M37s. Some had just enough power to move, some had a great deal of power relatively speaking and had to be watched to keep from running up to 60mph and beyond. The engines are very unforgiving.

bpj911

M37

A well kept M37 is a very good truck. An m37 that has been sitting, abused, neglected, etc is good hobby. If you have the ability, time, money, space, spousal support to bring it back to life that is. It's not complicated but it can take awhile to go through all the systems and bring it back to the way it was meant to be. I have a bobbed deuce and considered sell my m37 but decided against it as I know I will buy another and have to go through all the effort to get it into working shape. I expect my vehicles to run with very little messing around and to do that with these older vehicles requires some vigilance. Not for people that don't enjoy doing things themselves as the maintenance is pretty extensive compared to a new Honda or Taurus.

Capt.Marion

Well, you're in Long Island, so there has to be someone near you in NY, PN, or NJ that has to be one you can go take a test drive in.

Just keep your eyes peeled; I'd advise subscribing to the Power Wagon Advertiser; its a pretty cool magazine, and their classified section always has something if interest in it.

That's where I found my truck.

http://powerwagonadvertiser.com/

Tanner

A well kept M37 is a very good truck. Not for people that don't enjoy doing things themselves as the maintenance is pretty extensive compared to a new Honda or Taurus.

But I'll bet that the Taurus will require more maintenance than the Honda or M37... :lol:

'Tanner'

bubba_got_you

i run 1100.16's and a 318 but the rest of the running gear is stock and i do about 55-60 and get 12 mpg. the breaks stop the truck in plenty time as long as you mantan them. its hard to beet off road and will be the king of the road. i love mine but it is allot of work so if you don't want to have to work on the truck buy a rebuilt one or a new truck . thats my 2cents

Attachments

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M37, an M35, and an M35 bobbed. My M37 has 11.00x16 michelins, a must in my opinion (see my albums). I love driving the M37 however, I would not take it on the hiway again. I was getting around 7mpg, no seatbelt, and a top speed of 54. I could tell the motor did not like it, seems to like ~46 the best. In town, very cool though. I now have a bobbed deuce, and I plan to drive it most of the summer assuming diesel does not go back to $5. a gallon. With the 11.00 x20 will cruise 55 with no problems.
Any of these older MV will be more in maintenance intensive and will get crummy fuel economy. They are not as safe and are less predicable because of there age (some being close to 60yrs old. Poor heat and no A/C add to the equation. M37s are very nice trucks, but I would not make it a daily driver because of its shortfalls.

JimC2

I've got an M37 (given to me by my brother in 1962), and an XM708 I bought for about $125 in 1971.
The 37 has a bb Chevy in it with SM465 transmission, 5.83 gearing, and 9.00x16 directional tires. I've had it up to a little over 111 mph once (never again!). It is very squirrelly over 65 mph and uncomfortable over 55. I've run the stock engine, a slant six, a 318, and the bb. I much prefer the bb. Mileage is about 11 on the highway. By far my favorite vehicle even after owning it more than fifty years, but noisy, drafty, and wet inside when it is raining.

Last edited:

tbone1004

they are all pretty much gone unfortunately, they were around a few years ago but all got gobbled up. You're stuck with making your own or paying up. They're going for closer to $1k now with the price of copper

GUNNY 155

It seems every one has covered this topic quite well but I will cover one area that was not covered in detail. It is true what one of the guys stated about these engines not being well balanced or held to close tolerances. One must also remember that back when these were built that technology was limited as well as expensive. Though the engine is fairly solid and reliable, vibration and constant high rpm can be a killer. When I rebuilt my engine I had the machine work done by a outfit that builds racing engines. They balanced the crankshaft and fly wheel as well as the rods. Checked the clearance on the rods and mains and dialed them in. Milled the head and decked the block. As well as the usual valve train work and hardened valve seats and cam bearings. It was about 1K over what your usual machine work would be but the way it runs as well as the increased longevity is well worth the cost of blue printing the engine. Also remember coming up with a re-buildable core is more than the blueprinting.

nattieleather

That's interesting that you had that done Gunny. When I was into VWs back in the late 80s and early 90s there were a lot of articles that I read on turning up the power on the old flat four of the VW Bug. The most important was to blueprint and balance the system out. I never thought of using the same idea to an old MV flat head motor (M37s, MB/GPW/M38, WCs to name a few). Even if you didn't want to drive the vehicle every day and had a nice restored show piece of a truck doing that work to the motor makes sense to have a long lasting enjoyable ride even if it's to the local DQ for a cone on a Friday evening.

jeepsguy

Winch trucks seem to wear out the front tires. Front brakes can be upgraded to disks. Lockout hubs are a good update. Mine has 12v lights with added brake lights. Also, Gama goat taillight lenses can be used on the stock taillights or the larger late style lights can be fitted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks