• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Top

just me

The ones from Midwest Military are made by the original manufacturer of the tops. They ARE correct. They are new but not reproduction.

Rhodesia

Ok I did like you said per the instructions and the TM manual, there's no way in $%^# it will fit lacks 3 inches to pull over the left or right side I don't think hot weather is going to let this canvas add 3 more inches to make it fit. One of the collectors in town has a M37 1954 and he is pretty sure this top will not fit looks too small, as of right now New Life Canvas is out of stock and don't know when they will be making anymore Surplusjeepcity where I bought this from still insist this is the correct one and I should not have a problem even showing pictures on how far you have to get 3 more inches out of this. Welcome to my new retirement project, we never had any problems putting tops on 5 ton or 1/2 ton trucks in the Marines. I hope I did not buy a misfit M37 canvas top, LOL

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would return it to Surplus City. It is not a correct top. If the side angles are missing, there is a strong likelihood that there are other errors. You are correct in surmising that heat will not help when attempting to install this top.

Be sure to point out the fabrication errors when returning the top to Surplus City.

Rhodesia

I can see why these are not a stock item, they are made to order, and it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to make and fill the back orders. right now no one has any in stock for sale.

Rhodesia

been on the phone with most of them today, it seems they are waiting for their back orders as well. Say I'm looking for a 24 volt Battery Power Switch for the M37 that is mounted under the passenger seat?

Rhodesia

Yes I did, everyone has none in stock, like they told me over the phone, they don't stay long on the self and most are made to order. takes about 6 to 8 weeks.

cjcottrill

Yes I did, everyone has none in stock, like they told me over the phone, they don't stay long on the self and most are made to order. takes about 6 to 8 weeks.
Sorry to hear that. When I got mine Mona was 6-8 weeks behind, Dave was less than 2 weeks and he brought it to a local show to save me shipping. Maybe with the summer shows starting up and the MVPA show in Ohio this year he will get some inventory ready soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhodesia

I was not aware that the M35a2, the M818 and the M809's trucks their split two windshield's including frame and all were interchangable with the M37's for replacements.

Rhodesia

Received my replacement top from Surplus City Jeep this time it fits, but don't know why there are snaps on the side canvas unless it is another way to secure the side down. Installed new windshields from a M35 that fit the M37 without any issues, both wipermotors fits and works like before.
cover.jpg

just me

Most likely the top they used for a pattern was modified or incorrect. There are no snaps on a correct original top.
That said, snaps in addition to the correct tabs would be a good upgrade.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you have a top that fits! That is a great improvement.

Congratulations!

The snaps may not be stock, but I think they look nice and if they are functional, that is a great improvement on the original design.

Now, on to the next project.

Good Luck!

Rhodesia

I'm still getting the one from new life canvas rather have one that's is close to the original. Say where can I find the PTO winch lever that goes inside the cab area I seem to be missing the lever to engage the winch from the inside all I have is this hole where a lever should be coming out of. I seen a few of these on eBay for $25.00 but they only look like a half lever then you have to get the longer part to attach it to. I did check around and no one has the top part to add to the lever, I have to enlist a Hobbit now to engage it. LOL
lever.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case you can make one. It is just a piece of flat bar stock with a couple of holes.

If you haven't talked to Vintage Power Wagon, call them and ask for Steve. He can usually find what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

just me

I had a post fail to post right before the picture of the lever. It said to just make your own. It's nothing but a piece of bar stock with two holes and a rounded end.
Also, if you don't have the spring loaded latch, get one before you try and use the winch. Severe damage can be caused by inadvertent operation of the PTO.

Rhodesia

Ok here is what's on the floor board, besides everyone is going to tell me I'm missing my PTO lever what else is missing? because from other pictures of M37 floor boards mine seems to be out of place because I think I'm missing the PTO lock latch that flips over to keep it in neutral or am I wrong and my 1953 USMC truck is a back yard motor pool job, LOL
PTO slot.JPG

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what that is, but it doesn't look like any installation I've ever seen.

I think it would helpful for you to find a local MV show to go to to look at some M37s. They may all be unique, but you should be able to see lots of stock installations of various components used on these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks