• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 work starts

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of months ago, my father and I picked up an 1958 M37 from another member. We started out with the idea f just getting it running and driving so we could run it around as is. As we got further into pulling things apart we found a fair amount of neglect, probably starting somewhere around the Nixon administration. Subsequently, it has become more of a restoration. I finally thought of taking pictures and we'll try to keep a running account of what we find! Here's some shots of the teardown and removal of the front axle and suspension...

Attachments

WarrenD

Are you going to have it re-geared? The 4.96's are great, it's like putting an extra gear in the tranny. You have it apart so now would be the time!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seems overwhelming sometimes and progress seems slow, but all the little bits of progress add up. The M-37 always seemed so easy to restore compared to Deuces and 5 tons........ :?

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if we're going to re-gear or not. We've talked about it and I think he wants to keep it stock. It's not like I'll outrun him in the Deuce.... :driver:

vtdeucedriver

I don't know if we're going to re-gear or not. We've talked about it and I think he wants to keep it stock. It's not like I'll outrun him in the Deuce.... :driver:

Well let me tell you from experience on BOTH ends behind the steering wheel. The M37 likes 40-45. If you listen to that flat head, its at a nice RPM and is comfortable there. Anything above that and you could see the #6 rod at some point in its life. (Ive seen 7 surplused M-37s in a Junk yard and 5 had holes in the block. Now from the deuce, to convoy with a M-37 at its comfortable speed, you are either winding it out in 4th gear at 2,600 or lugging it in 5th at 15 to 1600.
I did a convoy of considerable distance and I eventually got sent pics from the M37 ahead while looking at his rear view of me running back up on him while getting speed for a long hill.

If you dont have alot of long hills to deal with, the 4.89's would be nice but here in VT, I have learned to just stay with the ww2 guys. :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every MV project starts out as "I wanna get this to use it" and turns into "I'm restoring it frame up." It may take a lot more work than expected, but the results always speak for themselves.

Keep us updated with more pics as you progress - looks good so far!

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,

It looks like you are making some good progress on the truck. Is there a reason why you went with the bronze bushing rather than the roller beraings in the top pivot on the axle?

Bert

Last edited:

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,

It looks like you are making some good progress on the truck. Is there a reason why you went with the bronze bushing rather than the roller beraings in the top pivot on the axle?

Bert
We went with direct replacement with what was there, and what reflects in the TM. It has the roller bearings in the bottom.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work. How bad was the alignment messed up?

Keep us posted!
Thanks Mike! It wasn't messed up until we replaced the tie rod ends. We got it close so we could get the wheels on it and line it up. We'll dial it in in the days to come.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the work continues…. We got the rear axle done. It wasn't as involved as the front, so there aren't many pictures. We've also gotten the engine and tranny pulled and the engine sent for rebuild. This past weekend we got all new brake lines installed, and started on the wiring. That's going to be an interesting project.

We're hoping to have it ready for Aberdeen! [thumbzup]

Attachments

1943ht

Jim, looking good [thumbzup]

Are you planning to make your own harnesses? Just did all of my own to include a harness for my M101 trailer .. surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be .. Parts are readily available .. I would recommend using Packer type instead of Douglas connectors.

Keep the pics coming

Last edited:

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, looking good [thumbzup]

Are you planning to make your own harnesses? Just did all of my own to include a harness for my M101 trailer .. surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be .. Parts are readily available .. I would recommend using Parker type instead of Douglas connectors.

Keep the pics coming
My father got all the wiring harnesses for the truck from Midwest Military. We thought about doing it ourselves, but several of the wires have rotted away to where we can't tell what goes where. We figured it would be a better process to get the harness then follow the manual.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know where you sent the engine for rebuild - I have a buddy in town here who owns a M37 whose engine will not start to save itself, and a very competent mechanic is about to give up on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks