• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

jollyroger

We went out to dinner last night and Sis had some pie. We talked about it a little........

I think she's gonna let it sit for a few days or a week. We are going to go enjoy the Rocky Mountain Sport aviation show this weekend with the Military Vehicle Collectors Club of Colorado.........And then she's gonna call all of us boys out and we are going to NASCAR pit crew the thing and get it knocked out. I'll get a few of my guys, Dad and Sis and we'll make it happen Capn'.

Dad already found camshafts and oil pumps online. Then we need a distributor gear and some gaskets.

We hooked up the water hoses but the front clip is not bolted on yet. Then it's not that tough to get the engine out and flip it upsidown. Minimal dissasembaly. Manifolds, side covers, water pump, front cover, etc.

The silver lining is the stories Sis will be able to tell about the Phoenix rising from the ashes. The stories, good and bad, are all part of this mechanical adventure. It lends for some very interesting conversation with all of our copatriots...... I think the name Faith for the truck is very appropriate at this moment.

Don't worry Sissy. Have Faith. We will get her back on the road again. And not by next summer. Before we go hunting in September.

steelandcanvas

We went out to dinner last night and Sis had some pie. We talked about it a little........
Excellent post Bro. Sis will come through this, she has alot of great supporters. You, Dad, Jimmy, the MVCC, and this Forum are all rooting for her. Sorry to hear the M43 won't be at the Airshow, but now it's time to take a break and have a little fun.

Oldfart

At this point, I am non-plussed! This is the first time I have encountered a distributor that would index (or at least appear to index) into the oil pump when the offset tang system was put against the civilian system. When we dropped the distributor in place we rotated the rotor until it indexed and the distributor dropped to seat. I worked the rotor back and forth checking behind Ghostdriver and it was indexed. If the distributor tang would have been setting ontop of the oil pump slots, it should have continued to spin as the distributor was not bolted down, but just resting in position. That and a distributor shaft setting on top of the oil pump slots would have been something like a quarter inch high from seating to the block. ????????? I hate to have to re-do stuff, but nothing for it but to move on and finish the job.

Gamagoat1

I would sure have an "INDEPTH" conversation with the engine builder, not that it would do any good but sure could make ya feel better.

OldFart, it sure wasn't your mistake. Besides, "He who makes no mistakes isn't doing anything."

jollyroger

I figured that part out pop.

If you look at the last two of my pictures with the square in the pics you can see the distributor angles away from inline with the distributor gear. Also the gear teeth are stripped at the same point where the distriburor shaft points down to the gear. So if there is a tight spot with regard to the gear against the camshaft, there is a loose spot. When on TDC or 180* out the slot must be in the loose position and the distributor drops right in.

I am also wondering if the military oil pump drive slot is smaller in diameter as compared to the Civy. So there is enough play in the drive collar for the Mil distributor to drop into the Civy pump but not the other way around.

And BTW pop. Get them parts ordered so they are here by next week.:beer:

jollyroger

I would sure have an "INDEPTH" conversation with the engine builder, not that it would do any good but sure could make ya feel better.

OldFart, it sure wasn't your mistake. Besides, "He who makes no mistakes isn't doing anything."
Unfortunately we can't have that conversation with the engine builder.......

He lives in Elizabeth now. He is a really good guy.

We had been doing business with him since he was building motors out of his garage on Oakland St. in Aurora over 20 years ago. He got a big shop over by Stapleton and went gangbusters. He got in an accident with one of his Cobra Mustangs and just was not the same after that. Some other guys started running the business and it was not the same after that. He finally sold the business a couple years after we had this motor built. When they closed the doors a few years after he sold the business they kept a 496 cid big block chevy we were having built and 4 sets of big block chevy heads I brought down there.

So the guys that are responsible just are not around to yell at.

Ultimately Dad and I have to bear this one on our shoulders. We know the difference and repeatedly said it to the motor shop and then took them at thier word without checking.

Oldfart

I guess we can't malign the old motor shop for all the problem. Just that it would have been theirs to fix if they were still in business. I found the empty Melling oil pump box that they returned to us with the rebuilt engine. It says M37 on it very clearly. The only think I can think is that someone bought a regular pump discovered their mistake and then ordered an M37 pump, switched pumps and returned the civilian pump in the M37 box. ~~ Checked Jollyrogers fit together on the bench and it will index, but has a loose tight to the pump collar as it rotates 360*

Ghostdriver

No slackin' for me!! The new oil pump and $300 cam with special spiffy valve springs is on its way. HOWEVER, I won't be working on the ambulance until AFTER I put the starter in my F350, and heck, while I'm in there, a power steering gearbox too. Now that I've posted this, I might get some help to tow my wide-arsed four-doored non-steering beauty of a work truck the 200 feet over to the shop. We have to eat our vegetables before we get to tackle dessert.

rickf

I could spend hours just wandering your property looking at stuff all over.:roll::grin:

Rick

BTW, Check the oil pan behind the starter and make sure it is not rusting out. Go with the later model starter, spins easier and does not draw as much power. Oh yea, it is a LOT lighter to push up there.

Last edited:

zout

Ghostdriver HAS to have that work truck done by now ???

:lost: not getting current work status on the 43
you are soooooo close - and yet sooooo far away - is it time yet ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks