• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 vs. Big gut

Marcel

I have an M51A2 and am having trouble driving it. I'm a big guy and when I drive it the steering wheel presses into my gut and makes it very uncomfortable. Has anyone done any steering wheel modifications to eliminate this problem? I've spent many hours getting this gut and it would be ashamed to have to get rid of it just to drive my MV.

98hd

I have a similar problem, no big gut, but long legs. My knees touch the wheel when I lift on the gas, or try to put my foot on the brake.

I have read about people moving the steering colum mount up farther on the dash in a deuce. I'm planning on trying something similar in my 5-ton.

Does the M51 use the same size steering wheel as the M35?
I purchased a steering wheel that is 2" in dia. less than the M35 wheel, It may be from the 800 series trucks. I am planning to install it on my M35 when I install the air assist steering.
Brand new wheel was $10 at Iola's swap meet. Now I just have to spend $75 for the wheel puller.

emr

Did I read that correct ? U would be embarreased to lose your gut just to drive an MV ? Just wondering...Might be considered a good and healthy thing by some...Please no disrespect intended,...:-D...

Marcel

Joke EMR

Did I read that correct ? U would be embarreased to lose your gut just to drive an MV ? Just wondering...Might be considered a good and healthy thing by some...Please no disrespect intended,...:-D...
That was a joke son. Of course losing weight would be healthier but in the meanwhile...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Marcel, the "this thread is worthless without pics" thing is just kind of a running joke. Don't take it as anything other. Alternately, we might want to see your truck! We probably don't need to see your gut.

Now, all that being said, there is a poster in Uraguay who needed more room in his deuce. He removed the steering column, increased the height of the slot cut in the dash for the column, then sectioned his column and added a u-joint into it. If you do a search for "raised" or "Steering AND column" by author gringeltaube, you will probably find the thread.

Good luck!

Marcel

Well, for me if I had a pic I would be able to tell alot about the the setup, rather than guess or ask questions.

Does it have a spring ride or boxseat? Makes a big difference as to what you can do to make room.

Does it have the correct steering wheel? Which is a smaller diameter than a 2 1/2 ton one.

It has a 20" diameter steering wheel. I totally removed the back cushion. The seat cushion has springs and a compartment below it.

Marcel

Padding

uh I have a gut but just fit the m35 I would think removing some of the foam in the back pad would be easiest
I tried removing the pad completely but made very little difference. Looks like someone already removed much of the padding

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you have a box seat. They give a little more room than the spring ride seats, so you've reached a limit there.

I still think moving the steering colum is your best bet.

Marcel

I believe that you are correct unless I can find a steering wheel with a smaller diameter than 20".
I have sent an appeal to gringeltaube. He is offline at the moment but I noticed that he is still active. He was online earlier today.
Thank you for your timely advise.
Didn't mean to disrespect drgreg.

Marcel

Well, you do have power steering....... I know on all of mine I can turn the wheels with just my pinky. So........buy a new steering wheel that is a smaller diameter. Fastest, easiest, and very well maybe the cheapest way of taking care of your situation.

What size is an M35 steering wheel and will it fit on my column? Mine is 20" O.D.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks