• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 GVW Question

1985mustanggt50

Picked up my M54 last night, drove it 30 miles home, made it 1/2 mile from the house and got pulled for no tag! 4 city cops, 1 sherriff, 1 trooper and then a DOT guy showed up! Ended up getting out with a ticket for no class b license. DOT guy tried to drive off with my concealed, good thing the girlfriend runs fast and flagged him down!

Now the real question, he put me on the scales and I came in at 18,400. He said I needed a class B since the GVW is 39k. I searched and found that it depends on the state but most people have class B. Does anyone have any experiance is getting the gvw reduced below 26k? Is that even possible? I dont mind getting a class B but I will never pull anything behind the truck, purely for recreational purposes!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no plates in a plate state will get you stopped, especially by bored LEOs at night.

I would guess it is going to be hard to REDUCE a close to 40,000 lb GVW truck down to under 26,000

Last edited:
I have camper /rv plates on my M54A2. I put a bed ,grill,portapotty,and sink in the back.In Mass no CDL needed and much cheaper to insure and reg. Goodluck Mike

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have camper /rv plates on my M54A2. I put a bed ,grill,portapotty,and sink in the back.In Mass no CDL needed and much cheaper to insure and reg. Goodluck Mike
how did you disguise the hole in the bed under the porta potty and the sink, must be like one of these pakistani otr trucks that are on our highways

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Simple: bob it!:roll:
Still think it will go OVER 26,000

In fact, if each axle carried 1/3 of the 40,000 GVW which is 13,333, so two axles would be 26,666 GVW, so 666lbs OVER the 26,000 thresh hole

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Load plate shows each rear at 14k. 39k-14k puts it VERY close. Plus ill never be able to throw my quads on the back. Debating on putting a deuce tag in the cab :evil:
Think you be surprised just how much some people know about these trucks, the DOT guy is no dummy, all he has to do is look at the axles and springs and he can come close to the GVW and really no need to look at dash data plates, start changing plates ect, is a easy way to get the truck inpounded

A deuce plate will have ALL the WRONG data, length, weight, tm info, ect, ect. just by matching the data on the plate to the truck will tell the DOT man something is wrong, then a very slippery down hill ride from there, then YOU have to prove YOU did not switch plates

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Picked up my M54 last night, drove it 30 miles home, made it 1/2 mile from the house and got pulled for no tag! 4 city cops, 1 sherriff, 1 trooper and then a DOT guy showed up! Ended up getting out with a ticket for no class b license. DOT guy tried to drive off with my concealed, good thing the girlfriend runs fast and flagged him down!

Now the real question, he put me on the scales and I came in at 18,400. He said I needed a class B since the GVW is 39k. I searched and found that it depends on the state but most people have class B. Does anyone have any experiance is getting the gvw reduced below 26k? Is that even possible? I dont mind getting a class B but I will never pull anything behind the truck, purely for recreational purposes!
A little late in doing this RESEARCH now

With your truck weighting !8,400 empty you may be able to register it for 26,000 or under and not need a class B . depending on your state . I had one of my trucks that weighted 14,000 registered for 16,000 and the GVW was 32,000 .

1985mustanggt50

Truth, the class B isnt a big deal, i already have a DOT physical and a permit, i just dont need it for the job i have now. I drive around a chevy 2500 gas van, LOL!

Just a drunken thought for new years on the deuce tags! Just thought maybe someone here had experience in the matter. Insurance has been hard to find but USAA ended up doing it on a personal policy for me. Now to get the license squared away and put some miles on this thing! I dont know how you guys buy trucks and wait months to play with them.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NC is funny like that. It doesn't matter that it is a private veh, you are tagged as running with the big boys.
Here in SC, they tagged the MTY weight of my M814 at 24,000, and told me not to put more then 2,000 lbs in the back, unless I had a class "E" or "F" license. When I told the lady that I held a class "A" license, she told me to have fun.

m139h2otruck

There are a lot of threads on here about this problem. Just run a search. I don't know about NC, but here in NH, if the truck is not being used for a commercial application, and you own and tagged it yourself, you can have a semi w/ 40 ft trailer and drive it on your normal license. Think about all the "old" guys driving all over the USA in their motor homes that are as big as an interstate bus w/ a car in tow. They don't have a Class B/A license.

armytruck63

What are you planned uses for the truck? Is there a historical registration in your state? It could save you mucho dinero on registration and insurance, IF you can live with the restrictions that come with historical status.

Last edited:
In Va. the GVWR can be reduced to the vehicle's empty weight at your request. Been there done that.
However I understand the weigh stations, in Va., will use that spec on the registration to give you an overload ticket.
They apparently don't care about you exceeding the vehicle's designed capacity, only what is on you registration card matters.
So I would go for 25900 GVWR.

cidrich

1985mustang I am pretty sure in NC if it does not have air brakes and you tag it for under 26000 lbs you dont need a class b. It does not matter what the gvwr on the data tag says. you just cant go over the gvwr on the data tag no matter what lb tag you have or class of licenses you have. Just tag it for under 26000 and you will be good. I know the guy you bought the truck from and have even worked on it some. You have a pretty good truck! just bought a M813A1 myself. And yes I have to wait on my EUC to clear. I do have my deuce to drive though! Good luck on your troubles!:beer:

1985mustanggt50

Thanks! That is what I was hoping, going to talk to some dot guys friday. Truck seems to be in great shape, tons better than most ive looked at. Runs pretty well for what it is too, we'll see how these 16r20s are going to hurt it.

cidrich

The 16r20s will slow it down some. I bobed, lifted and installed 16r20s on it and it does really good. Alot of people told me not to do it because it would kill it and I would lose 5th gear. Well it didnt and I didnt lose 5th. It cruises pretty good I think! I have driven plenty of treucks in NC that had GVWR over 26000 and all I have is a class C. They were taged under 26000 and the trucks weight around 16000 to 25300. Have been stoped and weighed and sent on my way. I dont think you are going to have any problems. Just dont get caught with more than your tag or 26000 and no cdl! I want to pictures of the 16r20s installed! I love the 5 tons set up that way!!!:driver:

cidrich

I meant to say " I bobbed,lifted and installed 16r20s on my deuce" Couldnt spell of type when in school and its been along time since then and I am NO better now!!!!!:mad: