• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 / M52 front bumper poles

maverick

Hi Guys,
I’m looking for a bit of help from the experts on here.
On the larger trucks such as M54s and M52s there is sometimes marker poles fixed to the front bumpers. I have noticed sometimes wreckers and tractor units have them and sometimes they don’t, I have never seen a standard cargo truck with them fitted.
So is this a standard fitment or a in the field mod?
My next question is does anyone have pictures of a standard M54 in Vietnam with these poles on the front bumper?
Can anyone also post a close up picture of how they were fixed to the bumper, was it through the top or a holder welded to the ends.
Thanks in advance for your help.:-D
Regards
Maverick

AMGeneral

Hello Maverick,welcome to the site!!

Having owned (and still own) several of these trucks,I can say that I don't believe this is a factory installed thing,but rather a field modification. I have mainly seen this on winch equipped trucks,probably because of the length on the winch out in front.It definetly helps in knowing where your front bumper ends are and keeps them from hooking other MVs in the yard.Most I have are just lengths of pipe or conduit welded to the bumper ends with steel rods or wooden dowels stuck in them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"I have mainly seen this on winch equipped trucks,probably because of the length on the winch out in front.It definetly helps in knowing where your front bumper ends"

if anybody wants to look at my gate, you can tell that the right conner of the bumper found the post, i knew when to swing the front end in to just clear the post, put the frame extensions on for the winch, well you can picture the rest, forgot about the exter length and OOPS:oops:

maverick

Hi There,
Thanks for the reply, I did think it would mainly be for the Winch trucks but I like to be proven wrong?

Anyone with pictures esspecially a M54 WoW

Sorry for my first posting, some of you guys had trouble reading it so here it is below in a better colour text.

Thanks

Hi Guys,
On the larger trucks such as M54s and M52s there is sometimes marker poles fixed to the front bumpers. I have noticed sometimes wreckers and tractor units have them and sometimes they don’t, I have never seen a standard cargo truck with them fitted.
My next question is does anyone have pictures of a standard M54 in Vietnam with these poles on the front bumper?
Can anyone also post a close up picture of how they were fixed to the bumper, was it through the top or a holder welded to the ends.
Thanks in advance for your help.:grin:
Regards
Maverick

maverick

Hi There,
Thanks for the reply, I did think it would mainly be for the Winch trucks but I like to be proven wrong?

Anyone with pictures esspecially a M54 WoW

Sorry for my first posting, some of you guys had trouble reading it so here it is below in a better colour text.

Thanks

Hi Guys,
Thanks in advance for your help.:grin:
Regards
Maverick

AaronHorrocks

My M52A2 that was in vietnam had Re-bar that was welded to the bumper. (which was later cut down, so now only the welded section remains) So I'm thinking it was 100% pure field mod for new drivers.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is a tip in one of the older PS mags that says to use 3/8 all thread or 3/8" round stock, threaded 3" at one end, 3'long. Drill holes on top of bumper and double nut it on.

vtdeucedriver

Stuart,

Mainly for winch trucks but I will scan my pics to see if they are on any. Believe rebar was common. If you do it tho, drill a hole at the top and run it throught the top and weld to the bottom and then around the top of the bumper to hold it. Now if you want to get fancy like I do and I have them to do it....................................I have seen spent M2HB barrels welded there as them and a bullet is protruding out the top!!!! This was done on a Gun Truck and I am making my M54A2 into that one. I have also seen it on a wrecker, caught the pic in a issue of the MV magazine and noticed it!!

Jeff

maverick

Excellent guys, thanks for the information on types of fittings and what they used.

Jeff, I had heard something about 50cal barrels but nothing confirmed. I'll look forward to what pics you can find

wdbtchr

I came across this thread while researching gin poles. My M54 has 1/2" rebar welded to the bumper ends, have no idea when it was added. I got it from a GSA auction of returned Forestery trucks. It was used for a brush fire support tanker by the Dolittle, MO fire dept. Apparently didn't help much as both ends of the bumper are bent back to some degree.

Attachments

maverick

Excellent, thanks for the pictures, I hope to be adding the poles to my truck in the next few weeks, once done i will be posting pictures. Just got to sort out my axle problem first which SS members have given me advice for.:razz:

70deuce

Here are pics of the 3/8" round stock threaded on one end on an M818. Night shot so they are flash pics. I agree with Beastmaster. These vibrate/swing pretty good at the tips on ocassion and can eventually sheer off at the base because of fatique. The CB antennas are a good idea. I also ziptie smaller Old Glory to these for parades. They make a great flag pole besides letting you know where the front corners of that car ripping bumper are.

Attachments

Cobra 1

I just aquired a M54 and it has field modication poles on front bumber ends as well as tie off on the bed. Only issue is looks like the welder actually learned that day on this vehicle. Im thinking about selling it or trading for a 813.

M813A1

I have lighted bumper guide poles on my M813A1 W/W I juat use some small "U" bolts and drilled the bumper and bolted them up run some wire and put a 24v bulb in the tip !! I found them on E bay !! for about $25.00 US. They look Good you will like if you put them on !!