• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 wrecker joins the family

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got more done on the wrecker these past
few weekends. I stenciled the truck, installed the interior, installed the Vic-1, and installed the NOS canvas cab cover. Gun ring is about all that's left.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
great job mike, Although,,,, why did you ditch the hard top for a ragtop? your truck, your choice....
The hard top was in pretty bad shape especially at the mounting flange (lots of rust). Also, with the gun ring, I thought it better to go with the rag top.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
see response #40 on previous page.
Went to dataplates.net and they only advertise an M35 set - did you have a custom set made from your old ones or are they just slow to update web site and do a whole lot more?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to dataplates.net and they only advertise an M35 set - did you have a custom set made from your old ones or are they just slow to update web site and do a whole lot more?
. I sent them my old ones and he replicated them one at a time. For all I know, he saved the info for future orders.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy if he saved the info for the wrecker data plates he might get a bunch of business. How much did all of them run?
sorry, it's been about a year since I ordered them so I don't remember what I paid. It was really reasonable.

70deuce

Bigmike, I just emailed them and they can't seem to find your order. Greg said to email him at orders@dataplates.net so he can locate your order. It would be great if they could find your order so we don't have start all over again. I think there are a bunch of us out there that would go for a set of those plates. Thanks

wcuhillbilly

Plates would be nice,, mine are completely bleached and I have to go by memory as to what does what. Im ok with it but when the wife is operating and Im rigging, things get a little hinky... (helmet is usually required PPE)

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigmike, I just emailed them and they can't seem to find your order. Greg said to email him at orders@dataplates.net so he can locate your order. It would be great if they could find your order so we don't have start all over again. I think there are a bunch of us out there that would go for a set of those plates. Thanks
sorry, I'm a little behind on this thread. I'll e-mail him tomorrow.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added an in-cab rifle mount

I had this NOS rifle mount so i decided to add it to my wrecker build. I'm very happy with the result.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry, I'm a little behind on this thread. I'll e-mail him tomorrow.
Gang,

I contacted Greg @ www.dataplates.net and he found the order with all the data plates he made for my wrecker. It's almost 100% complete except for some winch data plates which I didn't need to remove and replace. Feel free to contact Greg if interested in purchasing the data plates.

Last edited:

jhooah

Weapons mounts are fine, but I think the real reason so many are out there surplus, was in-service, we merely rotated the M16s upside down and used the window elbow wing nut to secure them along the dash/window. if your rotate the nut, they lock in as if it was designed just for that purpose.
Love what you did to the wrecker, ours (in Virginia) is identical, with the exception of the labor going into her, I never had the time to peel the paint and finish putting on the new dataplate set I obtained after I returned from Afghanistan.
Really hard to get up to any speed, takes about a mile to reach 30mph too, engines putting out power, she just doesn't like to giddy up and go.
V/R W. Winget

Csm Davis

The hard top was in pretty bad shape especially at the mounting flange (lots of rust). Also, with the gun ring, I thought it better to go with the rag top.
Mike you should look at getting the cab reinforcement plate that goes on the back wall and put it in before you hang the gun ring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike you should look at getting the cab reinforcement plate that goes on the back wall and put it in before you hang the gun ring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have a cab reinforcement plate. I didn't install it because the crane engage lever would be blocked and unable to operate. The lever is behind the driver's seat in the corner of the cab. I'll post some pics of my install and mods later today.

wcuhillbilly

Im not familiar with the "plate" but knowing that stupid handle,,,, I would question, why not mod the handle......???? heat/bend forward some so that in disengagement position it is off the back wall by say 3 inches... and right in Funny bone range when engaged.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks