• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M553 10ton GOER Update

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally! Something with a larger turning radius then my 814. I don'r know what a Goer is used for, but it looks like a beast......... :mrgreen:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is ALIVE!!!! I think the Viking helmet is needed at the Georgia Rally.
Worn as a fashion accessory to the dreaded red tutu.

There's a vision to have seared into your retinas.

I don'r know what a Goer is used for, but it looks like a beast.
It was the precursor to the HEMMET family of vehicles......they were used as beasts of burden and came in a cargo, fuel tanker and (in the case of CAMO's GOER) a recovery version.

I never drove one but they were still in the inventory when I was in the 101st Airborne Division back in the early 70's.

Some GOER facts: M-520 GOER TRUCK

A classic case of big is not necessarily better.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you think that if Caterpillar has built these with some sort of suspension or otherwise engineered them so they would not bounce, they they would been more successful?
As I stated I have never had the pleasure of driving one but I did see them bouncing along the tank trails at Fort Campbell......it's my understanding that driving one was akin to driving a motorized bucking bronco.

The were a pain to transport if they had to be moved a long distance. They would probably have to have been moved on a tank transporter which at that time would have been the M123. Not exactly a small or fast vehicle in its own right.

That meant the tanks would have to be moved to the Area of Operation and then the transporters would have to have gone back for the support vehicles that hauled their fuel and ammo.

One of the issues (as I understand it) about the GOER was that it could not keep up with the tanks ( at this time M-48's and M-60's).

The HEMMET's can keep up with the M-60's and the M-1's.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Old pervert

As I stated I have never had the pleasure of driving one. One of the issues (as I understand it) about the GOER was that it could not keep up with the tanks ( at this time M-48's and M-60's).
The HEMMET's can keep up with the M-60's and the M-1's.
Ah...finally language I can understand...sorta like you transportation folks never could keep up with us grunts....lol.

Anyhoo...the GOER goes, shifts perfectly forward and reverse, stops on a dime, and the coolness factor is way up there:jumpin:

Now the guyz...Troy and Tony gotta fabricate a cooling fan system and we are headed to the next GA Rally:grin::grin:

Might even paint that rascal back to 24087 like she should be:driver:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Awesome! Just need to clean all those "spares" out of the box, add 5-7 tons of ice & you could keep several thousand cans of your favorite beverage at just the right temperature on all the trail rides!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Awesome! Just need to clean all those "spares" out of the box, add 5-7 tons of ice & you could keep several thousand cans of your favorite beverage at just the right temperature on all the trail rides!

We'll have to see about the trail ride situation. If that beast broke down out there I'm afraid it would become a permanent land mark;)

I like the "super cooler" idea though!!:beer:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW PB,
I just watched all the vid of the GOER..and a few more! Congrats to you and your crew on a great job getting it up and moving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks