• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m66 ring and related questions

MilitaryRestoration

We are getting ready to put our m66 ring on but a few questions have arose.
- One of rings is stuck, so I pulled lock mechanism completely out but still wont budge...any suggestions or do I need to do a complete tear down..?

- I had bought one of the reinforcement plates that goes into the cab area, but as light as it is, sure does not seem like it would do much...Let me know otherwise or if you used in your truck or not. If didn't anyone wish they did or notice any bending in cab...
*Picture of what I'm talking about below

Want to try and get it all installed by end of weekend so any quick helpful info would be Awesome! Thank You

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
well,the plate along with the 95 rivets will hold everything in place.Doesn't take much.Think of it this way,Find you some of that one sided cardboard(paper on one side and just the ripple stuff on the other.See how easy it bends and flexes?Now find a peice of double sided cardboard and see how stiff it is.Same idea.The plate is not a very structual element if say you put it on saw horses and stand in the middle but side to side it strengthens things like crazy.Also,the picture above shows it upside down.It goes with the notches at the bottom and all the way down on the hump.The notches are for the seatbelts and the holes are for the U bolts to the M66 legs.Allows you to gain access to the nuts.So,keep that in mind when you go to perminantly mount it.Make sure they line up or your in a world of hurt!

sermis

I had my ring on without the plate. At the time I did not know there was a renforcement plate. I could tell the cab had some flex movement but it was while off road and puting it into a bind. I think over a long time it might cause some problems to the cab. 300#'s + up in the air on 3 legs has some torque flex. I have seen several trucks without the plate with rings and no problems.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,You can stick the ring on.Just don't do any deep wood stump jumping.But don't wait 2 oe 3 years to mount the plate.The cab will crack at the doors and corners.

David_4x4

Our ring had some difficulties spinning. I wound up taking the top off of it and giving it a good cleaning with some compressed air and nice lubricating afterwards. Now it spins effortlessly.

As for the reinforcement plate. We havent installed ours yet, but im sure in the near future. Our ring has been on the truck for probably 6 months now and our cab is fine with just drives on streets and parades. Like said though, I wouldnt go on any offroad adventures until that plate is in.

Dieselsmoke

Step 1: Flip the plate over...it's upside down in the pic. The slots go toward the bottom for the seat belt mounting locations. Oops, just read freight trains post he already pointed that out :D

FreightTrain

Banned
Step 2-BUY A BUNCH OF 1/4" drills and a drill doctor cause your gonna need them!95 1/4" rivets per the Military TM.2 sizes due to thickness of material.The cheap Commie Chink air riviters will not pop 1/4" rivets either.You will have to either borrow or buy a GOOD one.

MilitaryRestoration

Wow...Thank You for all the help...the picture isn't of our truck just one I found off internet, did find a picture on SS of correct mounting so that helped, and thank you for the heads up on rivets as well. I think for now I will just mount the m66 ring and then come back and mount bracing plate later, due to time constraints. I think we will be making the reinforcing plate soon so give me some feedback for those of you that need one/some. Thank You again. -Todd

MilitaryRestoration

beware plenty of pictures

Ok so finally got the thing mounted...beware plenty of pictures

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

and more...

and more...

Attachments

dabtl

RE: and more...

Don't you wish you had the straps for the ammo can holders? Sigh, so do I. Cannot find them anywhere. Oh, well, it looks good up and going.

Now all you need is a full auto M60 to complete the package.

kcimb

Re: RE: and more...

dabtl said:
Don't you wish you had the straps for the ammo can holders? Sigh, so do I. Cannot find them anywhere. Oh, well, it looks good up and going.

Now all you need is a full auto M60 to complete the package.
You can get a semi-1919 that will fit for about 1k$ or a semi m2HB for 10k$.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's talking about authentic - real firing semi-auto .30 BMGs and .50 BMGs.

If you just wanted a replica up there, Jon Shoop makes the best replica .50 BMG I have ever seen. $795 for a kit or $1K assembled, and it looks SO REAL, even up close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks