• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M747 destroyed by crooks

mdcarriers

Did the scrap yard still have the gooseneck and other parts?
At this point, I am just letting the detective do his job. He said he would contact the scap yard in question to see if they have a record of his name. They are required by TN law to get ID on every transaction. I am sure the gooseneck is long gone by now because they take in truck loads every day. With the girlfriend admiting to seeing the gooseneck on his trailer and the receipt from the scrapyard, plus him admitting to talking to me about doing some welding on the trailer and knowing where it was parked might be enough to convict him. He is in so much trouble already that he will most likely be in jail for awhile. Sure is sad that some people choose a path that destroys their lives.

Flyingvan911

I bet they get rid of the ill gotten scrap first. I wonder how many other people this guy has stolen from? I wonder how much stolen scrap that yard has bought?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a waste, Now you have to make a new front piece to install. I would build a new piece and sue him for your time, material, loss of use and efforts. You can use his girlfriend as a material witness in Court. Goes to show you can't trust any stranger.

A

A/C Cages

If you were here, I would have one of the guys who worked for me that are master boiler maker welders repair it for you at my shop for free. In fact Mark was at my house yesterday looking for something to do. Retirement sucks. lol
I showed him this thread and he mentioned that when you replace it, weld force plates over the top and bottom. This will make up for the weakining of the metal heat exchange made by the cutting. All depending on how clean that cut was made.

spicergear

My one buddy took a bunch of copper wire into a recycler and the guy asked him if it needed to be cut up and gone quick. ?!

Then, at the extreme opposite of that CSR in Harrisburg refused to take some aluminum I brought in because it wasn't what they typically see. I got talking to the guy and asked if they do business with a certain surplus, they did, and that was where this stuff had originally came from. When I showed the guy the owner's cell number in my phone and offered to call him he accepted the items. I was getting ticked as he was being careful about what he was accepting (which I can understand) but the same thing makes me feel like he thinks I lifted it! Oh well...it worked out.

indy4x4fab

Banned
At this point, I am just letting the detective do his job. He said he would contact the scap yard in question to see if they have a record of his name. They are required by TN law to get ID on every transaction. I am sure the gooseneck is long gone by now because they take in truck loads every day. With the girlfriend admiting to seeing the gooseneck on his trailer and the receipt from the scrapyard, plus him admitting to talking to me about doing some welding on the trailer and knowing where it was parked might be enough to convict him. He is in so much trouble already that he will most likely be in jail for awhile. Sure is sad that some people choose a path that destroys their lives.
You may have already answered this but what are you going to do with the trailer? Scrapping it seems to be a waste, we have one of these up at the museum and looking at it closer it looks like you could flush cut it with the deck of the trailer and have a new neck weld / fab up for it. One that lower so you wouldn't have to have an adapter like you had previously said was going to be built so it could be pulled by and over the road tractor.

Katahdin

mdcarriers

The guy that messed up my trailer is in jail on several other charges. He was on trial this week on 2 charges and his girlfriend on 1. Never charged with mine, but looks like he may spend a few years in jail on the others, which included meth possession. It cost me $3000 to fix and lost revenue in the tens of thousands.

mdcarriers

They figured out how he did it. He stole a gooseneck trailer from a building material company, backed it under the front of my trailer, used his cutting torch to cut and dropped it onto the gooseneck and hauled it to scrapyard. The weird thing is that I went to that scrapyard on Dec 28 and he sold it to them on Dec 30. He sold over 100,000 lbs to the same place in less than a month and was paid over $13,000. I actually was able to recover the tool box lid from the other gooseneck when the police recovered it. That's how the tied it all together.

mdcarriers

So why haven't the people in this scrapyard been arrested? Kickbacks to the police?
The have a picture of the load he brought in, but police said they couldn't ID my stuff in the picture. I asked if I could go look at the picture and was told they will only show to police. He must have cut it up pretty good. It would be a waste of my time to do anything else at this point because the bad guy is in jail and he has no assets or money. I feel sorry for him because he ruined his life for short term gain. He must have sold his sole to the devil. He is only 22 years old and not a good outlook for the future for him.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't give up too quickly. Take him to civil court, yes it will cost you a little money. But it will be a open and shut case. You won't get anything up front. But you will be able to garnish any future income he makes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks