• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M747 destroyed by crooks

mdcarriers

Someone pointed out today that the way the trailer was cut might indicate that the crooks may have a use for that gooseneck. I noticed both sides were cut off exactly at the same distance from the deck and at the same angle. Anyone have any thoughts about that.

3dAngus

That was precisely my observation and thoughts when I first saw this thread and your pictures. It looks like precision work. Not the job of amateurs. But then, what do I know???

But then, it does look like two completely different people cut each leg.

HASSON1911

My thoughts are you need a couple of mean gurad dogs, dobermans or rotweilers, and a nice ol' 12ga. or tactical AR. But on that idea sounds far to me, maybe because we don't have weird people cutting up peoples trailers for their own gain.:cookoo:

JarheadMtn

I would think that they would have taken the whole trailer if they were looking for scrap metal to sell. Tow it to some place to cut it all up and get more money instead of just taking the gooseneck. So they may have just wanted the gooseneck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Someone pointed out today that the way the trailer was cut might indicate that the crooks may have a use for that gooseneck. I noticed both sides were cut off exactly at the same distance from the deck and at the same angle. Anyone have any thoughts about that.
Could be for a wrecked/broke low bed gooseneck

AaronW

The middle east does it right (atleast in the case of theives). They realize theft is a choice and they discourage it with a stiff penalty. The only way to avoid the penalty is to not commit the crime in the first place. Now that's justice at work.
We had VERY few thieves on subs. The few that were caught begged to get off.

O.D. Fever

Well we may have a break on my stollen batterys and boxes, we put all the reports together from the local business hood and came up with one business that has not been hit. We have been commenting amoung ourselfs that why is there so much traffic in and out. The trail of dropped parts headed that way. Watching tonight , in one hour there where seven cars that stopped in for an average of two minutes each.. Its a shop??? I called the Sheriff and the task force will be on it. I don't think it the owners , just their drug crazed crack heads that are there buying.. Hold on for details..:beer:

Last edited:

O.D. Fever

I also agree with the other guys, Those cuts ar 90 degs. to the material. It its the shortest cut, but if I was scraping , I would cut level to the ground. It easyer. They are planing to use your parts. My 2 cents. Joe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the work of common scrap thieves myself. First off, that neck isn't made like any civilian trailer so the neck wouldn't work without extensive modification (It would be much easier to just build one from scratch). Second, If I were removing that neck to put on another trailer I would have just done a rough cut below where I wanted and true it up back at the safety of my place (I would assume since they are stealing it time was of the essence). The cut didn't look that precise to me but does look like it was done by somebody that is good with a torch. I think it just coincidence the cuts are like they are.

The reason they didn't take the whole thing is because they didn't have anything to pull it. Plus, it's much easier to hide just the neck with a tarp or in a enclosed trailer than it would be pulling the whole trailer down the road.

I could be wrong (we are all just speculating) but I say scrappers. I know it sounds crazy but scrap thieves aren't known for being very smart.

Nonotagain

The torch cut on drivers side looks too uneven for a pro.

Appears they backed a vehicle under the trailer and cut the neck loose.

The M747 uses a 3.5" pin does it not? That's why the trailer was left.

Too bad there weren't any hydraulic lines in the area, because they could have set themselves on fire if hit.

They were scrappers looking for a fast target and your trailer was it.

quickfarms

Was the trailer registered?

Since you stated "It was on state owned property that I have used for years with minimal problems. "

Is it possible that this is the beginning part of a state cleanup of abandoned equipment

M1075

Wow, unbelievable story! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Did they steal the aluminum ramps? Those are the high value targets on a M747. If not, I am wondering if you have an enemy that wanted to mess with you. It is almost like a poacher cutting off tusks or horns!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An EXCELLENT Investigative Thought.....

Was the trailer registered?

Since you stated "It was on state owned property that I have used for years with minimal problems. "

Is it possible that this is the beginning part of a state cleanup of abandoned equipment
...The plot has taken an

INTERESTING TWIST ! ! !

mdcarriers

The state didn't do anything to the trailer because they were all off for christmas and they told me it was okay to use the property. As far as enemies, I have no known emenies in this area. Anyone know where an old M747 is sitting around for savage that I could buy the neck off of? The trailer is registered and it didn't look abandoned. The kingpin was changed to the standard size.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I take it you're not any closer to finding out who cut it off?

It may be tough finding a "parts" trailer. The good thing is it wouldn't be too hard to fab from scratch. Buy the time it's said and done it may be cheaper just to buy another trailer if you can't do the repair work yourself. Steel is sky high and it's going to take a welder several hours to fix it right.

Bolkbich

You cant trust people anymore .Drugs make good people do bad things. The bad part is there are some smart people with drug problems. I had to put cameras around my business and farm......sucks!!!!!

SPCWarning

That does suck that your trailer got vandalized! I sure hope they get caught too. If you catch him/them yourself keep 'em there til some of us can make it up you way and we can ...........nevermind, you're handling it the right way. They will get theirs sooner or later.

Could be that the iron IS or WAS at the local scrap yards you checked, maybe they had already cut it all up into smaller scrap, possibly removed or burnt off all the paint, maybe cut it small enough to fit in the trunk of an old Caddy or Olds or something to add scrap weight to the car???? The zombified crack heads are getting smarter.
Just a couple weeks ago a coworker had one of those big plastic tote boxes in back of his service truck stolen in Searcy in front of a hotel where it was lit up nice and bright at night time! It had about 30' of 3/8 new chain in it and some more tools. Probably weighed over a hundred pounds but no one saw it. There were cameras but not right in front of the hotel. Imagine that. Maybe the thieves knew where the cameras were and were not.
I hope you find the culprits and I hope you can get your trailer repaired.

If you change your mind about us helping, I'll throw in a few dollars also toward repairs.
Jimmy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks