• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 recessed IR / Driving light mount

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I have noticed is that just about every one likes the IR driving lights, despite there is no real use for them. At least for me. LOL If a clear lens/non filtered lens can be had, then it can be used as an auxiliary light. The other problem is where to mount them. I have seen some creative ways and methods, some clean and nice, others... zip ties and duct tape. I have been going over my parts collection and have found a way to mount one under the passengers side headlight, in a similar way to the black out light on the drivers side. I don't know if this has been done before, but I will make it happen somehow.

Starting with an IR light, and a blackout light bracket. I had to grab and pull on the bracket to make it wide enough to fit the IR light in it. It was a little tight a first, now it has some room.IR Driving light mount 1.JPG

I have a N.O.S. headlight panel, (mine is bent and warped, hit a tree, I think)

IR Driving light mount 2.JPG

Here is where I want to mount the light from the inside, I'm using a 6" Bi-metal hole saw I found for $14

IR Driving light mount 3.JPG
Here is what I want the finished outcome to look like, more or less.

IR Driving light mount 9.JPG

Just a side view for reference.
IR Driving light mount 8.JPG

The new head light bucket, just to make a better perspective of it. Just incase anyone is wondering, the head light bucket came with the panel.
IR Driving light mount 7.JPG

IR Driving light mount 6.JPG

I'll have to make the rounded cut outs for the 4 ears on the IR light. When I do that, I'll center the light and drill the holes for mounting my bracket.
IR Driving light mount 5.JPG

I have made some measurements, and this location will leave the IR light clear of the grill. Meaning it will not have any obstruction in front of it. I will have to make an alteration to the fender to clearance the IR light. I figure I can use 4" hole saw to do so, then rivet in a metal dish is the hole. I haven't gotten that far along yet, but that's what I'm thinking of right now. I'm also thinking of painting the front/inside of the panel and bucket flat black (911 black) as apposed to leaving it green. The exterior would still be green.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my proof of concept, I'm going to smooth and round out the notches for the ears on the IR light. After that is done, I'll use an epoxy primer on it and go from there.

IR Driving light mount 10.JPG

You can see from the back it will clear the head light bucket.
IR Driving light mount 11.JPG

These next two pictures shows the need to modify the fender to clear the IR light. If you look at the angle of the panel that mounts to the fender, and how the IR light protrudes past it. I'm now thinking of an oval shaped hole cut into the fender to clearance the IR light. I don't think it would be as big as I was thinking it would need to be.
IR Driving light mount 12.JPG

IR Driving light mount 14.JPG

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have finally gotten to mount my IR driving light. I had to cut a bigger than I liked hole in the fender to clear the light bucket. Here are some pics of the project so far. I still have to hit it with some more paint, and wire it up. I was thinking about using an OFF-ON-ON switch for the low and high beam for the light.

IR Driving light mount 15.JPG

IR Driving light mount 16.JPG

I'm pleased with how it is turning out, but I will have to adjust the lights too. They seem crooked to me. I did add a head light grill from Those military guys. I have one for the other side too, I just haven't gotten around to working on that side yet.

IR Driving light mount 19.JPG

IR Driving light mount 20.JPGIR Driving light mount 20.JPG
I want to paint the other head light panel flat black also, but that's for another day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks