• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Loadout

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a call from him this afternoon. He said it had great brakes and they got it started, but it wouldn't rev up past much of an idle. Thats all I know.

Matt1970M35A

8am I Started off today driving in a snow storm that colsed down part of the highway. Good thing I was driveing my deuce. Made it to the gl lot ahead of time. Looked it all over nice solid truck with ok paint. No signs of any problems till I got in the cab. Found the battery master on so I did not even try to jump it. Swaped out the batterys. One of the old ones was split out down the side. Cranked it over and it sounded ok. Pumped the primer 100 times and tryed to startet it. no luck. Used a full can of starting fluid with no luck. So by this point we decided to hook up the tow bar and pull start it. One the second lap it backfired and started but had no throttle response but was ideling ok. We let it warm up and it had a little throttle response but still not drivable. So we finished the paper work and towed it off the lot to a parking lot were I droped the drive shaft and hooked up the air lines and safty chains. My old deuce pulled it just fine around 40 mph hitting 50 a few times. All went well till I hit the last 8 miles of road. A narrow 2 lane highway with a couple of steep long hills. Ive seen many of broke down simi on this road. Made it halfway up the first one and ran out of power. Stoped and droped it in low range. 1st then 2nd then 3rd then made it to 4th gear with 15 psi of boost in low range. Deloris was not happy but she just refused to be stopped! So up the hill we went at 12mph. Finally made it home around 8:30pm
Just for fun I tryed to start it but it did not take off. Must have a cracked fuel line or something. Ill take a look at the fuel system this weekend see what I can find.
2013-02-13 12.59.52.jpg2013-02-13 12.59.21.jpgMy dad and his first MV.
2013-02-13 14.56.39.jpg2013-02-13 14.56.58.jpg2013-02-13 14.57.14.jpg2013-02-13 19.00.45.jpgIts all dark and cold!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Matt, nice truck!

Won't rev up, I would look for air getting in the fuel lines somewhere, and definitely change that filter! I think when we picked up EMD's M814, it was 1973 everything, including the dang fuel filter! that thing was crusty...

It only takes a little restriction or air leak to cause a 250 a world of problems.

Can't wait to see it at Haspin!

m816

Yes, It sounds like a fuel filter problem. Change the filters and make sure the primary filter isn't filled with water. I think you can cancel an air leak in the system cause a 250 won't even start with air in the system. If you can get it ideling, then I would look at the filters.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home with the truck. That was a big undertaking with the deuce.
I once towed a deuce with a deuce and went up and down a lot of hills, will not do that again.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go over the fuel system with a fine tooth comb. 1st thing to replace is the rubber line from the fuel filter to the IP. Then replace the filter(fill the canister with clean fuel when you put it back together, it will save you about 3000 pumps on the primer pump). Check the primer system for air leaks, and then, if it still runs lousy, check the fuel tank tube that runs from the top of the tank to the bottom- It is steel, and will rust little pinholes that suck air.

Matt1970M35A

Any one know the secondary filter number?
And is it under the cap on the top of the IP? If Im looking at the TMs correctly.

Primary filter number looks to be a wix 33401

Matt1970M35A

Today I moved it to the top off the hill in front of the house.
Checked out all the lines. Replaced a few rubber line.
Found a loose line line one the bottom of the ip going to the primer pump.
Opend the bleeder and pumped the primer till I seen fuel.
I cranked on it a few times and it started up.
But I must still have air in it. Its ideling faster then Id like so I shut it down.
Think I may just start it and let it run. See if it will idel down on its own

jdknech

Today I moved it to the top off the hill in front of the house.
Checked out all the lines. Replaced a few rubber line.
Found a loose line line one the bottom of the ip going to the primer pump.
Opend the bleeder and pumped the primer till I seen fuel.
I cranked on it a few times and it started up.
But I must still have air in it. Its ideling faster then Id like so I shut it down.
Think I may just start it and let it run. See if it will idel down on its own
thats what i would do, my 250 had a fuel problem (sucking air) and after i fixed the leak, i pumped till there was fule, and fired it up.. it wouldnt rev up any, so i just let it run for 15-20 min, and havent had a problem since..

Matt1970M35A

Ok so I started it up and it was still idleing fast. I would say around 1300 rpm. My tachometer is not working. Let it warm up for say 15 min while I removed the tow bar.
It started to drop in rpms and I had a little throttle response so what better to do then take it for a test drive. It has a lot of power and was running great but still running fast.
About 1 mile in to the test drive the rpms went up to 1500 rpms and stayed their the rest of my 5 mile trip. Ive been reading that the tachometer cable has a seal that can go bad a the ip will suck in air making it do all kind of crazy things. Im going to try to remove the cable and cap it off to see if it helps.
And for the life of me I can not figure out why some one would have loosed the primer line on the ip.
Hears a pic of the loose line.2013-02-17 13.11.32.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hold on there Tex. Don't you think you might want to run some SeaFoam or Diesel911 or something else in the tank with fresh fuel first? It might just need a little lovin' before tearing it apart first. Replace the hoses cap the cable off and put an additive in the fuel.

Matt1970M35A

I did try capping off the tack cable. With no change. Cable is broke as well. Will need a new cable.
Ill try some diesel 911. Any ideas on ratios of seaFoam / Diesel911 to diesel.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has it right on the bottle. Since I had a bunch of half empty bottles of everything laying around I put all of them in and that was in a half a tank of fuel.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fill the tank, load up on lots of sea foam, or diesel Kleen, and a gallon of 2 cycle oil. Then get in it, drive 150 miles in one direction in the interstate, just as hard as you can. Turn around, come home, just as hard as you can. THEN see how she runs, and idles.

Matt1970M35A

I found somewere in one of the TM's that a dirty filter (the one in the IP) would make it run fast due to back pressure. Its easy to change out and I just got the new filters in anyway.
Its worth a try. As far as driving it its good for 30 MPH and will just stall out in 5th gear so driving it out is out.

Matt1970M35A

I pulled the fuel filter out and it was plugged up with crud. sorry no pic gravity took my phone away. It was different then the one I had bought so I just cleaned the old one. Its a metal screen type and cleaned up like new. Could not start it. One of my new battery's lost a lot of water and the top came off it.
New battery on way. I hope this works.

Matt1970M35A

So the clean filter helped out the top end it has a lot more power now.
I drained the tank and added new fuel and seafoam and let it run for an hour.
It was still running fast. So I started to remove the IP. I started with the fuel line and found it was dry. I already replaced the fuel line so my primary filter water separator must have a air leak.
Ill have to find a new seal for the filter base and try that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks