• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m813 winch problem

monstertruck287

813 winch 1.jpgm813 winch.jpgm813 rad.jpgSo here is the problem.

I installed this winch about a month ago and this gap was not there at all until I used it the first time. The cable got wedged between the roller and I couldn't get it out. At the time I was stuck and had no choice but to keep winching to get out. Well then the cable snapped at the roller and took out my radiator. After that i was able to use the remaining cable to finish pulling myself out. Anybody know how I can fix this problem? I tried searching and reading TMs for a couple hours now and I am at a loss as what to do. Also want to ad that it was an almost perfectly straight on pull, not off to the side.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would put some big shim washers in the gap, the roller shaft can be pushed to one side then insert the washers.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, that gap indicated that the roller mounts have either shifted or the winch case ends have spread.
Second, there is a significant gap at the ends of the roller anyway, and you seem to be missing the filler plates that go on each end to cover this gap. (Level wind winches do not have these plates, the tensioner bolts into those holes.)

I may have a set of the plates that I can photo to illustrate. Going to check........

monstertruck287

Ok so I found pics of the plates, they are shaped like a J. I guess I will fab something up. The bolts on the roller mounts don't look like the moved by looking at the paint around them. I wonder now if my winch case ends have spread, because the gap at the roller wasn't there when I installed the winch. I had a tough time getting the roller free so I'm positive it had very little end play when installed. Also I was thinking of using some allthread to make a setup like the tie rod is under the winch, but ad it to the 2 holes where the plates bolt on to.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a pic of the same area on my winch for your reference. Your winch may have been serviced or rebuilt prior to your ownership and the tech/mechanic neglected to install the spacer. It seems strange the the two cases would separate and cause this. Is there a spacer like this on the other side?
SDC12401.jpg

I just bought a set of the j-shaped anti-pinch plates NIB. Highly recommended and fairly affordable. PM me if you want the purchase info.
SDC12334.jpgSDC12333.jpg

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, in studying photos of other similar winches, that spacer seems to somewhat unique to my winch. It is only on the right side and is 1/2" thick. You'll notice it is also beveled on one side just like the roller itself in order to clear the vertical rollers. There is hardly any gaps on either side of the roller. I am wondering if this was an MWO at a rebuild depot at one time to help avoid pinched wire ropes.

monstertruck287

And also the anti-pinch plates I only see in some photos. Looks to me that most don't have them, maybe it was optional? Or they were removed for some reason? I am going to just buy them and do it right. Also I am going to see if I can slide the roller ends closer for a tighter fit while I'm at it. If not I guess i will have to make a spacer. My winch is from a m39 series truck, I had to lengthen the driveshaft. Don't know if that makes a difference on the plates being there or not?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an overall pic and a left side pic of my roller. Between the close tolerances of the roller and the its side brackets and the anti-pinch/rub plate there is no chance of the wire rope getting caught up there.
SDC12402.jpgSDC12403.jpg

The "J" type anti-pinch/rub plates were a later addition and an improvement over the earlier style plate. The instruction sheet in the new kit shows the older style plate (see the -34P2, Fig. 377, items 1 & 2, attached) being removed. The old plate is just straight and rectangular rather the "J" shape design of the latter. Somebody had a great idea and they put it to good use. My winch did not have any plates on it when I got it. On another note, the spacer on my winch does not show in the -34P2 diagram which affrims my thought that it was a later addition.
Winch Roller.jpg

Mine was an M39-series truck winch also. I had to retube the PTO shaft an additional 6 1/2". The guy who did it for me used a thicker wall tube, .120", in the retube. It is a much beefier driveshaft now. I want to get a shaft collar to put on as a safety collar on the slip yoke.
SDC12343.jpgSDC12344.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks