• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M814, tell me what's wrong with this picture

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is right hand drive, wrong?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We have a winner!

These are M814 trucks that CSI in Tallapoosa are converting to right hand drive for export to Africa. There's a LOT of fab work done on these trucks. The only thing they haven't changed is the tool boxes and gas tanks.

The other truck is a work in progress so I snagged a few pics of the change over there.

There's two other trucks outside I didn't take pics of that are bridge trucks they installed deuce beds on with knucklebooms on.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, a lot of fab work - which I would call "redneck engineering", at best: for example, noticed that cobbled-together, custom extra-long pitman arm? ... the severe U-joint angle at the PS-box input? .... a steering wheel that comes way too close to the seat? ... besides instruments now facing down, a glove box lid that won't stay open, etc...

Hope the customer doesn't mind....

G.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree, the shoulda just done a one off dash. The glove box is inop, it's just for electrical panel now. The pitman arm had to be flipped as there's not anything out there to do what needs to be done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all that said, I've always wanted a right hand drive vehicle. I really think they are coooool.

m816

I've put a few things in wrong before, but I never put the dash back in upside down. We were known for putting a lot of adult beverages down while working here in the motorpool. We always got the steering wheel back where it is supposed to be. Some things are not ment to be messed with, and steering wheels on the left are one of them. Shame on people who don't know which side of the road to drive on. They will be smited.

Danger Ranger

Thanks Patracy. That is pretty neat, even if they did a poor job.

Good thing its Africa. Why can't they send them more school buses instead?!? lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I look at old mail jeeps all the time. None I've found were worth saving. One of the rural carriers out here had a 4x4 YJ that was RHD. I'd love to fall into that as a YJ can be built up reasonably cheap and it already has PS. Mainly want one so I can complain about the speaker being on the wrong side at the Checkers/Rallys drive thru.

ryan77

Guy in high school drove a old mail jeep they had 5 sitting in the front yard! His dad bought them at auction back in the early 90's!!

ryan77

You still have checkers/ rallys??! They closed all of them about 10 yrs ago in the chicago land area!!