• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 boom extention

Csm Davis

According to the -10,
on outriggers---4500 lbs.
no outriggers---1700 lbs.

What the -10 DOES NOT say is if this is straight out or max. boom up (45 deg.), what I am fixen to do once things warm up, is to do a work radius chart, wish I had a hanging scale, that way I could do a load radius chart, lay out the load till a bit of lightness then deduct 20% off the weight, that would give a SLL.
That should be worst case straight out.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGI - this is not real.

"..You heard the torpedo hit the hull....... and I was never here." James Earl Jones

816 fly jib.jpg

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME. DO NOT RUN WITH SHARP OBJECTS.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Ron, I have heard of a few 'in service' storys confirming exactly that.... without an extension.

Apparently, the hardened slide tracks crack first - with the flexing of the "inner". so it's worth cleaning them periodically rather than just relubeing them.

Never miss an opportunity to extole the dangers of playing with big toys (though "toy" is not really appropriate). I have posted this pic before, but seems somewhat appropriate....
Oz 5 ton - 5.jpg(Aussie M543 in Vietnam)

Welder Sam

It would most definitely suck to spend the time and money to make something like that just to either destroy your entire rig or realize that its to much on the first try and have to remove it and hack it up for short iron.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yeah ron, i have heard of a few 'in service' storys confirming exactly that.... Without an extension.

Apparently, the hardened slide tracks crack first - with the flexing of the "inner". So it's worth cleaning them periodically rather than just relubeing them.

Never miss an opportunity to extole the dangers of playing with big toys (though "toy" is not really appropriate). I have posted this pic before, but seems somewhat appropriate....
View attachment 475947(aussie m543 in vietnam)

oops

Csm Davis

Okay so I have taken a look at this and the tm again and I think it can be done safely 2 different ways. First would be a 8 foot jib added to the inner extension and it should pin on and be rigged back to rear of main boom with cables like in Zebadee ' s drawing and should be good for 1000-1500 lbs if jib is built well. Other one and one I may take a swing at is 16 feet long and pins on main boom only or on inner also but not pushed out far so it will still add strength to main boom and total reach will still be at 26 feet. It should be good for 2500-3000 and both of these setups would require all 4 outriggers to be in place. I got these figures from the tables that are on the crane and if you read them the weights are not a straight addition as Ron has posted.

Csm Davis

Also Ron this is not an attack on your math as i was in agreement with you until I read the load tables. I also have seen two wreckers with bent booms and they were bent right in front of the lift rams on the outer boom and the inner booms were out just past the bend and this is why i will leave my inner boom retracted past this point which I believe to be the weak point of the boom.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ANYTHING past the boom tip is EXTRA weight on the existing boom and support structure, the "16' jib" is considered weight, this x the weight on the jib is what IS on the boom tip, this weight CAN add up quick. The load chart covers the load hanging FROM the boom tip ONLY, there is NO load chart for a jib, the LOADING on the jib puts a LOT of stress on everything, that is WHY the JIB load charts ARE a LOT less then then the main boom.

I have been operating cranes (little to 500t, short boom to 350') since 1961, long before OSHA, I have seen ALL types of home made "jibs" put on the end of booms back in the cowboy days of cranes operation, it was thought this was ok, the trouble was a LOT of cranes came down BECAUSE of these "jibs" which in turn KILLED people at worse case, and hurting a bunch more, now days the owner and YOU WILL go to JAIL if you are operating a crane with anything homemade on it and you hurt or kill someone, The OWNER and I would GET fined just for operating the rig with the homemade stuff on to, this is even if no one is hurt..

You can argue all you want but the FACT remains the a crane (a military wrecker is a crane) IS designed for a certain load FROM THE BOOM TIP at a certain distance from center of rotation, this design INCLUDES EVERYTHING from the base mounting UP, NOT JUST the BOOM.

You guys do what you want (you will anyway), but REMEMBER if you modify the crane in anyway that is anyway OUTSIDE the design specs.(jibs, ect.), and somebody gets hurt or killed, there IS 99.9% chance that you will be a bunk mate with Bubba.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look what I did NOT find in the TM's!!! 8)

flyjib not TM.jpg

NB. Anyone who thinks this is anything other than a totally ficticious brain f@rt, purely to entertain the wrecker non-masses will be shot.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Look what I did NOT find in the TM's!!! 8)

View attachment 480426

NB. Anyone who thinks this is anything other than a totally ficticious brain f@rt, purely to entertain the wrecker non-masses will be shot.
Wait a sec. I have one of those laying around here. I had no clue where it would fit, but it came on the bed of my wrecker.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well well well... If Phil really has the pole, I'd better get started on drawing the rest - mast head and stay arrangement!

Needed to write a second line here..... so you'all can read between them! 8)

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and the SteelOscar for best animated fiction goes to....

Ooo, look what just fell out of the back of my computer...
816 fly jib - mast head.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy ; Re your pic...
816 fly jib - patracy1.jpg
I was imagining something in the order of 12 - 15 feetlong!
Those 'ears' look like they would interfere with the instalation into the top of the boom (after one sheave was removed).
....... UNLESS!.... I am looking at this the wrong way around. If the right end went into the boom top, then the ears would be for the stays. BRILLIANT! Assuming that the spacer/bolts that clamp the pulley sheaves into the boom top aren't in the way...

816 fly jib - patracy2.jpg

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's about 5ft long. It honestly was sitting on the back of my wrecker when I got it. I have no clue (and still don't) as to how it's used/function. I just assumed it was something someone had made. The second ears might have been added on. The person who owned my wrecker previously owned a towing company and repair shop. He had a number of MVs. I will try to get out and measure a few things.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You would NOT get me anywhere close if that is used as a jib, in fact I do not think you will find many close watchers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks