• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 boom extention

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would NOT get me anywhere close if that is used as a jib, in fact I do not think you will find many close watchers.
That'd be fine Ron. Relax brother, its a discussion. All's well man

Well..... Had to build this as there is no one to assist and therefore no-one to stand underneath or be a "close watcher"!
Tether was critical for placing in the truss clip, all from the back of the truck.

Final design was braced just like one of the twin booms on a Holmes 750. Worked like a charm and only had to lift individual trusses, which are light enough for me to lift n drag to an uncluttered space in the yard to hook up. This was a completely - no drill, no weld attachment, so once the job is done "It was never there and doesn't exist.....".

Ron et al - I totally respect your opinions re crane overloads etc., but I am in the middle of nowhere, no assistants (boy is too busy with studies) and I like engineering design n fab'ing (have a relevant background and I was a AWS CWI).
NB. I WOULD NEVER USE THIS OFF OF THE FARM.

post script - I even made the adze, to hand hew the 10x10 posts, from my trees I cut, including curved 6x6 knee braces and 30' beam. So when it's done - I can stand back and simply smile.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zebedee I was wondering and Ron might know as well why the droop angle on the jib?

Hey Jeff - Bjorn hit it on the head, reach rather than height, though it was pretty tight, fortunately the trucks front wheels were 6" lower than the rear so I just had enough height. Though all I would have to do would be to move the cable clips up a bit or wind up the nuts on the silo strap jib stays to get more height.

ThatXJGuy

My M-62 came with this boom extension which is about 16' long and weighs like 400lbs (no joke) and that ratty looking basket on the end. The basket has since become a scrap metal bin and the extension is looking at becoming the base of a wind turbine tower because I live off the grid, but I figured I would post since it's very on topic. The extension and basket were definitely used because the holes are a little wallowed out from the pins that held it on. Glad it somehow held and nobody died in that thing.
IMG_20140416_121927.jpgIMG_20140416_122000.jpgIMG_20140416_122331.jpg

I have wanted several times to keep it usable just in case, but it looks way too risky to me, the weight of the extension itself would more than kill someone let alone whatever you tried to lift. I may build something much lighter and smaller to use when I get to building my house if I run into a situation where I just can't quite reach something but it would be for nothing more than a couple hundred pounds. The extension has a nice very heavy duty pulley on the end that I may keep for future experiments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks