• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 recovery from Richmond

R Racing

Well after a lot of prep I recovered a M816 out of Richmond that hasn't been touched in years !! Loaded all the goods last night and headed to Capital Garage this AM ( The truck needed the Brakes Bled and a tire changed and was told I couldn't do it on the GL lot, So I had these guy tow it off for me) Got there and swapped out a dry rotted fron tire ( Its a shame to it was band new ! ) Swapped in 4 new batteries , And gave it a twist after checking all fluids. It was stuborn as heck , But finnally sprung to life on the 4th or 5th try. It stalled and tried to restart and all I got was a CLICK ! I had brought a spare Black box I had bought for the XM813, and swapped them out and it started again. I had 1 tank full of brown fuel and 1 near empty. so without knowing ( even though I have read the tech manual5 times that the valve on the floor was the fuel valve. I assumed the switch on the dash opperated a solinoid valve) It was on the 1 that was full of the brown fuel. I bled the brakes and moved it , The brakes worked great ! but it was way down on power and didn't want to run much more than 1500 . Removed the fuel filter and it was clean as new. so I thru in a quart of ATF and headed out to the fuel station. The RPM got steadly higher and ran better for the first hour . but then acted like it wasn't hardly getting any fuel. So I'm thinking I have some bad fuel lines. It got to when I finnall got home I had it in low range and 1st gear to limp up the drive. Is there socks on the tank inlets ? It was the perfect day for a recovery . Was suprised to find it has electric wippers !! I wanted to thank Troy in Richmond ( E-AIR) for his help ! here are some pic's !!

Attachments

R Racing

Now for the Bad ,The fuel gauge always shows full no matter what tank you put it on, LOL . Need to adjust the Air gov,It maxed out at just below 90 PSI ( I know its on the firewall, But nothing on there looks anything like the 1 on the M813 )Need a new air buzzer. Need a new flood light switch. The hr meter looks new but doesn't work ( Maybe disconnected ? ) . Some flaking paint. and the fuel issue. looks like I need to drop the tanks to the sender. Havent tried the crane yet . But hope to soon :grin:

R Racing

Well moving equipment and materials mostly . We get some Crazy heavy Stainless bars from time to time.I have been using the backhoe . but the bucket is to big to swing it thru the door to put it on the saw . so alot of man handling that way.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the rubber hose connections under the tank switch valve. They tend to suck air. A lot easier to get to if you remove the toolbox under the door.

jimmcld

Good looking wrecker! There are a lot of rubber fuel hoses under the drivers floor. Most of mine were either kinked or cracked, or both. You need a lot of 3/8 and 1/2 inch hose to replace them all.

R Racing

Thanks for the tips ! Looks like a PITA to get to but removing the toolbox looks like it will help a ton ! I could see at least 4 hoses there and the hose to the pump from the filter looks newer . Buit I'll change them all out . I need it to be reliable ! Can't wait to use it !!! :jumpin::mrgreen:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you have a ready made name if you are into naming your rides: SGT Brown.

Sounds and looks like you had a good time. I hope the truck serves you well.

Rick