• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 brake help needed

wap

They place I work purchased an 817 recently, knowing the brakes needed some attention. There is almost no brakes at all, only the last 5-10% of the pedal does anything and that is very very little. I have bled the brakes with a pressure bleeder I made with a garden sprayer and replaced all the old fluid with DOT 5. I am not sure what came out but it was a yellow color, not purple.

Bleeding the brakes made no difference at all. I have read quite a bit on here and been through most of the TM's but could use some advice instead of just throwing parts at it.

Tomorrow (if I can get time) I plan to adjust all the wheel cylinders and see if that helps, and I am going to check on adjusting the pedal right now. But if non of that works where should I look next? MC? Air pack? new wheel cylinders?

Any help is much appreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They place I work purchased an 817 recently, knowing the brakes needed some attention. There is almost no brakes at all, only the last 5-10% of the pedal does anything and that is very very little. I have bled the brakes with a pressure bleeder I made with a garden sprayer and replaced all the old fluid with DOT 5. I am not sure what came out but it was a yellow color, not purple.

Bleeding the brakes made no difference at all. I have read quite a bit on here and been through most of the TM's but could use some advice instead of just throwing parts at it.

Tomorrow (if I can get time) I plan to adjust all the wheel cylinders and see if that helps, and I am going to check on adjusting the pedal right now. But if non of that works where should I look next? MC? Air pack? new wheel cylinders?

Any help is much appreciated.
First do not adjust the pedal, find out WHY it is low,

REBLEED, REBLEED
1---Look for leaks
2---adjust ALL wheels
3---do not adjust the pedal
4---if that does not bring the pedal up look at the m/c, could be worn and bypassing
5---the pedal should be up with/without the air pack
Treat the brakes as though you were working on a old ford dump truck, take the same steps on the 817 as you would on the ford, no different but the color

wap

Thanks for the help, I will leave the pedal alone.

I havent done an exhaustive search for leaks but the fluid stays up in the MC so I dont think there are any leaks.

Also, the pedal does stay up, and returns to the top once I push it to the floor, it just doesnt do anything in the way of helping the truck stop. The range of motion seems normal to me but I feel little to no resistance when I push the pedal and it just goes all the way to the floor. I dont know if it matters but the pedal also feels the same if the truck is running or if it is shut off, no difference.