• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 brake help needed

wap

They place I work purchased an 817 recently, knowing the brakes needed some attention. There is almost no brakes at all, only the last 5-10% of the pedal does anything and that is very very little. I have bled the brakes with a pressure bleeder I made with a garden sprayer and replaced all the old fluid with DOT 5. I am not sure what came out but it was a yellow color, not purple.

Bleeding the brakes made no difference at all. I have read quite a bit on here and been through most of the TM's but could use some advice instead of just throwing parts at it.

Tomorrow (if I can get time) I plan to adjust all the wheel cylinders and see if that helps, and I am going to check on adjusting the pedal right now. But if non of that works where should I look next? MC? Air pack? new wheel cylinders?

Any help is much appreciated.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They place I work purchased an 817 recently, knowing the brakes needed some attention. There is almost no brakes at all, only the last 5-10% of the pedal does anything and that is very very little. I have bled the brakes with a pressure bleeder I made with a garden sprayer and replaced all the old fluid with DOT 5. I am not sure what came out but it was a yellow color, not purple.

Bleeding the brakes made no difference at all. I have read quite a bit on here and been through most of the TM's but could use some advice instead of just throwing parts at it.

Tomorrow (if I can get time) I plan to adjust all the wheel cylinders and see if that helps, and I am going to check on adjusting the pedal right now. But if non of that works where should I look next? MC? Air pack? new wheel cylinders?

Any help is much appreciated.
First do not adjust the pedal, find out WHY it is low,

REBLEED, REBLEED
1---Look for leaks
2---adjust ALL wheels
3---do not adjust the pedal
4---if that does not bring the pedal up look at the m/c, could be worn and bypassing
5---the pedal should be up with/without the air pack
Treat the brakes as though you were working on a old ford dump truck, take the same steps on the 817 as you would on the ford, no different but the color

wap

Thanks for the help, I will leave the pedal alone.

I havent done an exhaustive search for leaks but the fluid stays up in the MC so I dont think there are any leaks.

Also, the pedal does stay up, and returns to the top once I push it to the floor, it just doesnt do anything in the way of helping the truck stop. The range of motion seems normal to me but I feel little to no resistance when I push the pedal and it just goes all the way to the floor. I dont know if it matters but the pedal also feels the same if the truck is running or if it is shut off, no difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks